Forums

Charging Concern

Charging Concern

Lately, when charging my MS at home, I have had intermittent 'low roaring' occurring for at least several minutes. It happened today -- what I did (and have done in the past) is to interrupt the charging momentarily and it stops. We live in Las Vegas and it is certainly hot this time of year, but we have not had this happen the past two summers that we had the vehicle. I don't want to have my car blow up on me, so I was wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this anomaly.

TeslaTap.com | 17 luglio 2019

It is normal. When the batteries get hot when charging, especially in hot climates, it is necessary to run the battery cooling. When you get to a Supercharger in hot weather, the cooling compressor often goes to full speed (and makes quite a bit of noise outside the car). At home, usually slower charging does not need as much cooling, and the noise is far less or none at all.

One option is to start charging late at night (3 am) when it is the coolest outside.

gryghst72 | 18 luglio 2019

The battery cooling feature never shuts off in my car, even when not charging in the shade of a car port with temps in the 70s and 80s and a nice breeze blowing. The low roaring (battery cooling?) started when I received, under warranty, a rebuilt rev. D 85kwh pack and subsequent firmware update. When I'm at the house in my garage and charging at a minuscule 10 amps, the cooling feature puts off enough residual heat to bring my car's cabin temp up to 93+ degrees while the garage temp is much cooler. Is this normal for everyone else with the Model S? Mine is a classic P85. Taking to Service next week to figure out if cooling pumps/sensors are functioning properly.

TeslaTap.com | 18 luglio 2019

@gryghst72 - Do you have Sentry mode on? It will use about 250W all the time, and the heat produced goes into the cabin. A/C may be required if you have cabin overheat protection on, which it turn requires the pumps and compressor to run.

On trick is to have Sentry mode off while at home (there is an option for the under Controls).

gryghst72 | 18 luglio 2019

Classic P85, don't have Sentry mode.