Forums

rear quarter window break in, no alert, seeking repair advice

rear quarter window break in, no alert, seeking repair advice

Thief broke my rear left quarter window yesterday evening in Fremont CA. Sentry mode was on. Video did catch the thief clearly including the vehicle license plate and was given to police already. However, from the video, it did not appear to trigger alarm as I heard no sound. I did not receive any alert from Tesla app either. Do I need to set up something else?

Also any suggestion on how to go with the repair? Should I go through insurance? Service center or authorized shops? Any recommendation which shops are good?

Thanks

Magic 8 Ball | 20 luglio 2019
TeslaTap.com | 20 luglio 2019

Thanks M8. Covers just about all OP's questions.

In our area, cost for the repair will run between $700-$1300 (glass only) and add another $500-1000 if the chrome strip is damaged (which can happen during the repair). Shops tell me it is damaged in about 10% of the repairs as it is difficult to remove and must be removed to replace the window. Some insurance have a $100 deductible, so it may be the best way to go. Depends on your insurance. If you have a $1000 deductible, it may be worth it to just pay for it yourself.

Yesterday's paper ran an article on car breakins and they are up almost 100% from last year in our area. The thieves are using stolen cars and/or stolen licence plates making it even harder to catch, even with video.

Lonestar10_1999 | 20 luglio 2019

OP if your video captured a very ugly girl breaking into your rear quarter window, then congratulations. You caught FISHEV red handed.

@TeslaTap Thank you for the information, well done!

raqball | 20 luglio 2019

LOL @Lonestar.. FISHEV was the ugliest girl I've ever seen, that's for sure.. Hahaha.. :P

Forgot to add I am sorry this happened to you guys.

Atom12 | 20 luglio 2019

Welcome to the club. Cost me $475 at a local glass shop. The triangle glass and chrome is one part held in with adhesive. Tesla charges ~$200 for the part.

The glass shop: "We are repairing these like hotcakes."

TeslaTap.com | 20 luglio 2019

@Atom12 - Thanks for more pricing info. Yep prices will vary depending on the area. Prices I showed were from several glass shops in the bay area, and I suspect they are making a nice profit. Glass is not part of the chrome trim, but the chrome trim is attached to the glass and car using screws, adhesives and snaps (in the refresh). The older S doesn't have the snaps and uses more adhesive and may be more at risk of damage during replacement.

lbowroom | 20 luglio 2019

My window was replaced after delivery due to a chrome trim defect. The window and trim do come as one unit from Tesla. Is there a third party that is providing glass only?

Atom12 | 20 luglio 2019

Just clarifying: My model 3 little right rear triangle window broken to get access to rear seat. The local glass shop (SF Bay Area) had the Tesla part in stock. The part itself is both the chrome and the glass. Prior to committing to the shop I talked to Tesla service. They no longer do this repair but will sell the part (the glass with the chrome) for about $200. I'd watched a YouTube vid replacing a similar window. It looked very doable. So, conceivably, one could save ~$250 DIY.

Atom12 | 20 luglio 2019

Just clarifying: My model 3 little right rear triangle window broken to get access to rear seat. The local glass shop (SF Bay Area) had the Tesla part in stock. The part itself is both the chrome and the glass. Prior to committing to the shop I talked to Tesla service. They no longer do this repair but will sell the part (the glass with the chrome) for about $200. I'd watched a YouTube vid replacing a similar window. It looked very doable. So, conceivably, one could save ~$250 DIY.

Atom12 | 20 luglio 2019

Why'd that post twice?

ffrr | 20 luglio 2019

Thanks for all the information.

Does anyone know why my car alarm did not trigger and I did not receive alert in my Tesla app? Now I can't be sure everything is fine because I did not receive an alert.

lilbean | 20 luglio 2019

It posts twice if you click save twice.

I have tried to make my alarm go off (want to hear the loud music) but have not been successful. I tried banging on the window but afraid to do it hard in fear of breaking something. Other report being able to do it but no joy here.

Joshan | 20 luglio 2019

Stop trying to break into Tesla's M8B.

Joshan | 20 luglio 2019

Thankfully this issue has not hit mt area yet that I am aware of. The one thing the state of Illinois does right I guess. prosecute car burglars.

Sorry this happened to you :(

So you think my car recognizes me and is saying meh?

kevin_rf | 20 luglio 2019

Maybe the car has decided you're a harmless troll ;-)

My car purrs when I get close to it, my dogs are jealous.

kc4129 | 21 luglio 2019

@ffrr - May I know where in Fremont your car got broken into? I live in Fremont, my window got broken in San Jose last year and I went thru Primer Auto Glass.

lbowroom | 21 luglio 2019

To summarize, according to Teslatap, several shops in the bay area will charge up to $2300 to replace a window and trim that Tesla sells them as a complete unit for around $200. Really? How do they get away with this?

Lonestar10_1999 | 21 luglio 2019

@lbowroom - the insurance companies always remind us that insurance fraud is a crime punishable with jail time. I would think that price gouging is opportunistic and should be treated as a crime. Otherwise the sky’s the limit when policy renewal time comes around.

Seems like those glass shops are as criminal as the break ins.

Magic 8 Ball | 21 luglio 2019

When we got cars in the shop that we never worked on before (especially cars that had little information on how to repair) we would often pad the estimate for the unexpected.

That makes sense 8-ball. However, doesn't seem like that's what's happening here.

There are people that attempt to gouge, this thread is a great heads up. I was reading about gangs coming up from LA to the bay area to specifically break into cars and apparently this is big time organized gang business.

I tried to find the article I read and found this one where gangs from Oakland go to Hollywood to conduct business, Lol

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Rash-of-Hollywood-Car-Burglaries-T...

ffrr | 21 luglio 2019

@kc4129, I think it is Charter Square Shopping Center. Fremont police mentioned a few places in their tweets:

https://twitter.com/FremontPD/status/1152421336137945088
Brookvale Shopping Center, Tesla Factory and Motel 6 North

https://twitter.com/FremontPD/status/1152061732816166918
I880 cooridor & Fremont Blvd

TeslaTap.com | 21 luglio 2019

Sorry, I wasn't clear - the pricing quoted me is for the a Model S, not a 3. The trim is optional on the S, and often is not needed to be replaced. The Model S trim is far larger part than on the 3. Prices quoted to me also include labor. There may be other shops cheaper.

@ffrr "Does anyone know why my car alarm did not trigger?"

Yes, no door was opened, so no alarm. After breaking the glass, which does not set off the alarm, the thief reached in and pulled down the seatback. If nothing worth taking is seen, the thief moves on without opening a door. If they saw something to take, they open the door, grab it and run (and the alarm sounds).

The S/X has an optional intrusion detection ($350) which is designed to alarm if broken glass is heard. Unfortunately, if Sentry mode is on, intrusion detection is disabled. No idea why. Also there is no current glass intrusion detection on the model 3 - only alarms when a door opens.

Lonestar10_1999 | 21 luglio 2019

@TeslaTap - It seems like those breaking into the rear quarter window are more knowledgeable about the M3 than FishEV.