Forums

Does anyone have experience on selling/trading in their 'new' Tesla for another Tesla?

Does anyone have experience on selling/trading in their 'new' Tesla for another Tesla?

I bought a MRM3 (no AP/FSD, addons) back in Mid March. I received my $2500 cali rebate and have not yet filed taxes to claim the $3750 credit (am I even allowed to claim it this early?)

I am financing it with a CU and owe about $33k on it left.

Ideally I'd like to sell this car, use that extra money and down it on another model 3 (performance or LR).

Is this possible? Is it as easy as getting it appraised for positive equity and selling it to a dealer or selling privately?

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on this? Would I still be able to claim the $3750 FTC on this M3 and then claim $1875 a brand new M3? lol

rxlawdude | 3 settembre 2019

You will have to give back the $2500, prorated to the remaining period you must keep the vehicle (30 months). You may not get the $2500 for your replacement vehicle if you've previously received more than two CVRP rebates, including the one you're planning on trading.
You can indeed claim the federal tax credit, not only on your existing M3, but the replacement, too.

You've met the test that you did not intend to re-sell the car after you bought it.

TeslaTap.com | 3 settembre 2019

On the downside the depreciation on any car sold in the first year is horrific. Don't be too surprised if the trade-in price is stunningly low. Unless you are ultra-rich and just don't care, it is impractical for most people to do this.

Over 4-5 years Tesla holds their value quite well, better than MB or BMW.

Yodrak. | 3 settembre 2019

"have not yet filed taxes to claim the $3750 credit (am I even allowed to claim it this early?)"

It's getting late in the year to receive your Federal tax credit, but you don't need to wait until you file your Federal income tax return to receive the credit. Start now by filling a Form W-4 to reduce your withholding.