Forums

Is it my imagination or does music played on Spotify directly sound better than the same music played on Spotify via my iPhone?

Is it my imagination or does music played on Spotify directly sound better than the same music played on Spotify via my iPhone?

I've been A-B testing things and to me it feels like the same track played via the new built-in Spotify sounds superior to the exact same music streamed from the Spotify app on my phone via my RWD ("Premium") Tesla's bluetooth. Even adjusting for levels (the built-in "Tesla" Spotify appears to play generally louder to start), there still seems much more of a sense of spaciousness and definitely a fuller lower end via the subwoofer, etc. Do others find the same thing, and is there some more "hard evidence" (technically-speaking) to back up why this would be the case? I ask also because I'm considering whether to continue to stream from Apple Music on my phone (which has had the benefit of being able to say "hey Siri, play xxx" and have it play, something which doesn't seem possible directly on "Tesla Spotify" without 2 taps per song), or whether to switch over completely to Spotify Premium.
Thanks in advance for any further thoughts -
- D.D.

ghosty_palo | 9 ottobre 2019

I noticed the same thing, I just assumed the car was streaming at the highest quality version and that the bluetooth connection must be capped at a lower data bandwidth.

wayne | 9 ottobre 2019

The V10 release notes mention Bluetooth bitrates of 48 KHz. In some thread I believe 196 KHz was mentioned for Tesla Spotify. This compares with 320 KHz for Spotify via computer or other device. I have older ears but Spotify via the Tesla sounds better to me than streamed via my phone over Bluetooth. What do others think?

cnistal1 | 9 ottobre 2019

Absolutely sounds better on the Tesla Spotify. I also did an A B comparison streaming from my iphone.

Sunergy-NJ | 9 ottobre 2019

It sure sounds better than Slacker or Live X Live, whatever stupid name they changed it too. Only thing that beats it is FLAC files on the USB drive... but not enough to think much about it.

carletoncurtis | 9 ottobre 2019

Remember though, the Spotify phone app has an EQ and the Tesla Spotify car app does not. So maybe mess with those settings and report back?