Forums

Longer limited regen in cold weather?

Longer limited regen in cold weather?

First cold weather drive since the Spring. Car was parked this morning with temps in the 30s. Parked about 5 hours and left this afternoon with temp in low 50s. Drove 45 minutes with temp in mid 50s and regen was still limited when I reached my destination. Never had it stay limited for this entire drive before, even when temps were in the teens.

Is this related to the slower supercharging battery protection? Anyone else experience this yet? Just updated to2019.32.12.1 last night.

barrykmd | 11 ottobre 2019

BTW, battery was at about 50%, so not charge-related.

Bighorn | 11 ottobre 2019

Cold soaking that long can cause prolonged regen limits. Not new.

This was different. This was a drive I do regularly. Usually get full regen back after 20-25 minutes in significantly colder temps.

I noticed that regen is limited on descents where it wasn’t before.

Mike83 | 11 ottobre 2019

Check the car controls. There is a preconditioning toggle and the car can learn your schedule. I haven't used it as I don't have a fixed schedule.

BH - I've noticed that coming east down the hill from the Eisenhower tunnel. Get the little exclamation point pop up from time to time. Started about 6 months ago. However, today's drive was not a steep down hill and max speed was 45 mph, so no strong braking needed. Simply (mild) cold-induced.

Mike - my schedule isn't fixed and I've never used preconditioning.

@barry
Not suggesting that it was descent related, just that the temperature control is tighter now.

pj3ec | 12 ottobre 2019

a manual switch in the phone app to precondition just the battery on demand would be a welcome addition for us steep hill cold weather drivers