Forums

No Front Platers vs. Parking Enforcement Officers

No Front Platers vs. Parking Enforcement Officers

[V2 of material – I was too anxious before, to share my discovery. Could have been a lot clearer.]

Some of us don't want to mount the front license plate even if required by law, e.g. California. A few in this group are getting professional help. :-)

Appears that Franz may be a member of the “No Front Platers.” In all of his beautiful designs, there is no obvious place to mount a front plate.

Franz Von Holzhausen is chief designer of Tesla Motors

I've been looking for five years, for a good solution for my particular issue. I sometimes go up to The City. My wife and I really enjoy the trips, but it does cause me some anxiety knowing that there’s a high risk of a ticket for no front plate – The City is notorious for this.

Finally, a solution: Snapplate

https://youtu.be/Ecnp9L3XZoI

So now, we drive up to The City, find a parking space after an exhausting search; then:

*** Snap on the front plate, shop and/or dine, return to car, snap plate off – no tickets.

As a retired IT Security Consultant, I appreciate its security design. By default, “Security Through Obscurity.” Not obvious how to remove the plate. If you have concerns and an extra 20 secs, you can install an optional, non-obvious security screw.

cybergrafx | 13 novembre 2019

Forgive me, - I don't get it.
Why would you only want to put the plates on while you are parked? I'm in California and I was ticketed for not having the front plates on while driving.

ronjolley | 13 novembre 2019

Does happen, but very rarely. We have 2 Tesli, a 2017 3 and a 2014 S, Neither has ever had a front plate. There's been other posts in here and the S forum about how rare it is.

The most common tickets are issued while parking or if you've been pulled over for a different violation. Not just my experience, but seems to be the case of many others.

Magic 8 Ball | 13 novembre 2019

Lol

SamO | 13 novembre 2019

Too expensive. $120+

I'd like it if it was 1/2 that ludicrous price.

That's 6 $20 fix-it tickets.

kevin_rf | 13 novembre 2019

Didn't he start another thread a few days back on snap plate that Magic completely detailed?

bradbomb | 13 novembre 2019

I have been utterly amazed by the amount of Teslas I see in SoCal (S, X, & 3s) that do not put on their front plate. I grew up in Florida which is a rear plate only state, but I have now been in LA for 13 years. I have never once thought that because of the car's design, I would risk getting a ticket by not having my front plate on. There are 31 states that have plates on both the front and rear of the car. Most European countries I believe also require front and rear plates.

I guess my question is what about Tesla owners makes it so wrong to have these front plates on the car to risk fix-it tickets?

A License Plate Display Failure ticket will cost you $196 and Up in fines plus $1,000+ in insurance hikes and penalties

SamO | 13 novembre 2019

I'm going to flag this thread if you lie again. This is NOT a moving violation. There are NO points.

Please stop pumping this bullshit product.

The above is a copy/paste from Google search:

price of no front plate in california

SamO | 13 novembre 2019

Flagged.

raqball | 13 novembre 2019

ronjolley | November 13, 2019
A License Plate Display Failure ticket will cost you $1,000+ in insurance hikes and penalties
------------------------------------
Does not compute.. Moving violations raise rates not non moving ones...

SamO | November 13, 2019
Too expensive. $120+

Agree.. The price is waaaaaay to high...

lbowroom | 13 novembre 2019

Trying to remember the last car I had a front plate on in CA. It's been at least 20 years, maybe more without a ticket for it.

I love articles that makes claims with the word "could" or "may" in them.

lbowroom | November 13, 2019
I love articles that makes claims with the word "could" or "may" in them.
---------------------
Agree... It's a poorly written article.. I don't know of any major insurance co that jacks up rates for non moving violations. Most non moving violations are not even reported to them to begin with..

Sure maybe the cut rate, I can't get insurance anywhere because I've had 7 DUI's insurance co would, but major companies? I'd think not...

Curious to hear from anyone who's gotten a ticket in San Francisco. Regardless of the fine, I don't want the ticket.

Still not willing to put the plate on. Might change my tune if I got a ticket. I do think that I've reduced the chances.

Of course it reduces your chances of getting a ticket. Especially when parked. ;-)

Personally. I'll either put one on or not. No way I'm swapping at every stop

Only when I go into the city, where they have parking enforcement officers. Where I live, parking is fine

derotam | 13 novembre 2019

If someone wants to steal a plate off a tesla that isn't stuck directly on the car a quick yank down will probably break the grill thereby freeing the plate from the car.

jvcesare | 13 novembre 2019

@cybergrafx Your chances of getting a ticket in CA are higher if you park in certain areas. For example if you park at a sporting event, concert, etc, the police that are on traffic control before and after the event will patrol the parking lot DURING the event looking for expired tags and missing front plates.

BTW after avoiding attaching my plate for a year I finally went to a license plate wrap. Looks great as it applies to the body and reflects the light of the contours of the front bumper. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback.

Syed.Hosain | 13 novembre 2019

@ronjolley "Curious to hear from anyone who's gotten a ticket in San Francisco. Regardless of the fine, I don't want the ticket."

Yes, I have.

The fine *would* have been $121 unless I got it "fixed" by putting the plate on and getting a police officer to sign off - then I paid just $20, as I recall.

The parking meter maids in San Francisco are obnoxious about this issue. I posted my experience earlier, with the one who gave me the ticket ... deliberately waiting (after he saw me pulling into the parking spot) till I walked away before putting the ticket on my windshield.

I ended up getting a removable plate too (different model - but also with a magnetic attachment to a part that stays on the grill), and keep it on with the security screws for driving around town now. Better than the stick on tape from Tesla, or drilling holes.

The dead bug splatter on Highway 5 heading to Southern California makes the plate quite a gross sight. The car is relatively easy to clean, the plates are not. So, I plan to take the plate off for those long trips.

jvcesare | 13 novembre 2019

Rofl

howard | 13 novembre 2019

The only no front plate ticket I have gotten is Denver meter maids when parked in a Denver public parking spot even though there is money in the meter. $99 way back when. I just don't park in a Denver public parking spot.

Scrannel | 13 novembre 2019

When I had a C6, there was a plate/contraption sold on the forum that folded under the nose of the car (and was invisible) but would pop up at the touch of a switch. I $hit thee not. Going back on that forum for a look-see.

Syed.Hosain | 13 novembre 2019

@Scrannel "When I had a C6, there was a plate/contraption sold on the forum that folded under the nose of the car (and was invisible) but would pop up at the touch of a switch. I $hit thee not. Going back on that forum for a look-see."

Yeah! There is one for the Tesla too that works this way.

Scrannel | 13 novembre 2019
bjrosen | 13 novembre 2019

I don't get it. The law requires a front plate so put on a front plate, what's the big deal? Didn't they put the plates on before they delivered the car to you?

jimglas | 13 novembre 2019

what he said ^^^^^^^

They did not put plates on. Some of us have this problem. Some of us have sought profession help. :-)

And for my HOV lane stickers, I only put one on. Just a small one on the back right. The others are in the glove box.

Let's make an effort to stay on topic. This post is about finding a good removable front plate. Or for your experience if you've been ticketed for not having the front plate.

jimglas | 13 novembre 2019

why?
tesla provides a perfectly good plate holder
Its a car, not a picasso

Is this thread ruined yet?

Are we going to see a new thread with a synopsis of how this one was ruined?

@Magic

It's getting close. It's lasted longer than I expected. Won't need a post-mortem. The off-topics/no value was clearly what did it. Why are people bothering to waste their time and ours with: "I don't understand why someone would not want a front plate."

I was going to comment that I don't understand why people get tattoos. But knew that would be my killing my own post. At this point, WTF, why not.

After a little research, I think we should talk about solar and Powerwall. Do you have a current thread in another forum. My Powerwall exceeded my expectations in the recent CA outages and I had high expectations.

Are any of: @jimglas, @bjrosen, @jvcesare, @raqball, @samo, @kevin_rf your minions?

Are you koo koo for coco puffs?

kevin_rf | 13 novembre 2019

You kidding me? I make fun of magic every chance I get.

Besides, the only logic that makes sense to me on not wanting a front plate is so no one can get your license as you flee an accident. Thank goodness for Sentry mode. Btw. There had already been one posted sentry mode hit and run clip where the lack of a front plate prevented them from identifying the car that hit them.

What are you talking about Kevin you are my minion, can’t you read? ROTFLMAO

@kevin_rf

"the only logic..." Just accept the fact that you don't understand NoFrontPlaters. To repeat, I don't understand tattoos.
I have no interest in "fleeing the crime"

Sorry about accusing you of being a magic minion. When you said "didn't he start another thread...", I though that you were asking magic. BTW - that comment was off-topic and no-value. It was just a waste of ink.

WW_spb | 13 novembre 2019

Obey law.

@WhiteWi -- Both profound and succinct, but totally off-topic and no-value.

I will never understand how you are able to never, under any circumstances, exceed the posted speed limit or drive in lane 1, the passing lane or follow too close. Do you give your religion the credit?

ronjolley | November 13, 2019
Are any of: @jimglas, @bjrosen, @jvcesare, @raqball, @samo, @kevin_rf your minions?
--------------------------
If you think I am M8B minion then you've obviously not spent more than 10 seconds on this forum.. LOL

Yeah rawballs is not my minion he defends liars.

Magic 8 Ball | November 13, 2019
Yeah rawballs is not my minion he defends liars.
--------------------
I've never defended you..... But at least, unlike you, I don't make disgusting, inappropriate and predatory remarks to female members that I think are underage at the time of posting.... LOL

What did Elon say on twitter?

Pedo?

Magic P Ball? The P for pedo?

Tanya is a liar that you defended and s/he claims to be me.

tanya™ | 13 novembre 2019

If I were a liar my pants would be on fire.

It's okay Magic P Ball....

Are the lawyers advising to engage in name calling?
Boy cry wolf.

Pages