Forums

How to tell if your used Model S has been throttled?

How to tell if your used Model S has been throttled?

So recently took delivery of a 2016 P90DL V2 battery, 49000 miles, 2019.32.12.7 b728e1d. My experience was...ok. Getting any real info on the vehicle from Tesla was almost impossible other than some poorly taken photos on the website. No history other than it had never been repaired. In the week I've had it it seems to be driving very well but I have nothing to really reference it against. I've been very concerned to read that Tesla is in the habit of throttling vehicles that have done too much supercharging or too many launches, and I have not yet found a way to research if my car is one of those. I also am aware the 90 Kwh battery is more prone to degradation. My initial data:

Range was around 260 miles at 100%, then instantly downgraded to 240 miles after one day in northern Nevada and 10-30 degree weather.

I got around 110 KW/h supercharging until around 50% and it then dropped to the 60-70 range for the rest of the charge.

I get 29 mi/hour of charge on my home 240 volt charger.

I cannot launch the car no matter what I try. I can put the car in ludicrous mode + and select max battery, but it does not give me an estimate of how long it will take to warm up from that point. I am very familiar with launching cars, and stomping on the brake firmly and putting the accelerator down and then lifting and reapplying the accelerator while holding the brake only results in a two pedal error, never a message that launch control is available. I have reviewed the threads about this on the forum.

Does all of this pass the smell test? Anything I should be concerned about? I'm most concerned that the car was already launched too many times in the past and has had its privileges revoked. Any input is appreciated.

Fuzzdoc

AERODYNE | 30 novembre 2019

Based on much info here, and on TMC, plus my experience you are lucky with normal degradation and no throttling. SoC plus power was 120, now is more like 100 to 110. You are still seeing north of 110. Assuming 40A charger your level two speeds are normal.

I can't help you with the launch problem other than to say it should be covered by warranty.

Bighorn | 30 novembre 2019

110 kW is great for a 90. Some were limited into the 90s.

RAR | 30 novembre 2019

@Bighorn I frequently start at 135 to 140 kW at around 8 to 12% SOC, with expected tapering as I charge up. S90D (December 2016 build) with about 28,000 miles. From your comment this seems unusual. Am I just lucky somehow?

fuzzdoc | 30 novembre 2019

Thanks for the feedback. I just read the fine print in the manual that says launch control doesn't work under 37 degrees. Probably not an issue for most people, but I may have to wait a bit to try it. Glad to hear things are at least reasonable with the battery.

ST70 | 30 novembre 2019

interesting about the 37 degree limit....try to keep it plugged in when it's freezing...sounds normal

Anthony J. Parisio | 1 dicembre 2019

I am not sure if you have to hit the brake to launch a Tesla. Does anyone know?

Wilber | 1 dicembre 2019

fuzzdoc - glad you found an explanation (the 37 degrees). I would add that the battery needs to be reasonably warmed up before you ask it to really output or input alot of power. When i go to my local urban supercharger first thing in the morning, the car and battery are not warmed up much yet, and my supercharging rate sufffers. I suspect the same applies to your launching.

trixiew | 1 dicembre 2019

@RAR-I have your same car but with about 60K miles. I rarely supercharge, but when I have I’ve never gotten over 95kW, even once at Kettleman City with one other car there and a SOC around 10%.

AERODYNE | 1 dicembre 2019

With the V10 update, when you navigate to a SuC, the car will warm up the battery for optimal charging. Also, when at home, consider use of "Smart conditioning" to do the same...

RAR | 2 dicembre 2019

@Anthony J Parisio - From May 16, 2019 Owner's Manual

To Activate Launch Mode
1. Ensure the brakes are slightly warm by driving for a few minutes and using the brakes a few times.
2. If equipped, set the air suspension to Low (see Air Suspension on page 133).
3. Set the acceleration level to Insane or Ludicrous and enable Max Battery Power.
Note: You can use Launch Mode immediately after enabling Max Battery Power. There is no need to wait until Max
Battery Power is in its READY state.
4. With Model S shifted into Drive and at a complete stop with the steering wheel straight, fully press the brake pedal with your left foot.
5. While still pressing the brake with your left foot, fully press the accelerator pedal with your right foot, then release the accelerator pedal. The instrument panel displays a message indicating that Launch Mode is enabled.
6. Within eight seconds, fully press the accelerator pedal a second time to preload motor torque, then within four
seconds, release the brake.
When you release the brake, Model S launches forward.

jlhm | 2 dicembre 2019

I’ve a P90DL (March 2016 battery vers B) and peak charge is 115-117KW/h. 100% charge is 260 miles. Only 31K miles so far as I don’t have the time to drive the car as much as I want.

fuzzdoc | 5 dicembre 2019

So I am able to successfully launch the car if I take it out of a warm garage and launch it before the thermometer can adjust and realize it is below 37 degrees. So yes, purely an ambient temperature issue. Carry on.