Forums

‘Downsizing’ to new MS!

‘Downsizing’ to new MS!

Well, we owned a 2015 MS70D and a 2017 MX90D. I retired on July 30, and my husband is retired. We found we go everywhere together, and for those rare times we need two vehicles, we have a gasoline pickup truck. So, we decided to sell/trade in the two Teslas, and we just ordered a new, long range MS. The old MS went to CarMax, and we will trade in the MX to Tesla when we pick up the new car. We are super excited! The newer MS seems to have so many more bells and whistles included in the purchase price! Looking to find a cheaper 220 dongle, however, for the newer charging cord, if anybody has one to sell. Ordered in Midnight (our two others were silver.)

AERODYNE | 5 dicembre 2019

Congrats! Your new car should come with a MC Gen 2. This should have a 14-50 adapter along with the 5-15.

Note on the Gen 2, not as robust as Gen 1, only one year warranty, placarded at 31A max, I run mine at 27 and the cord gets warm at RT.

I considered trading in my 15 MS, but the loss of sunroof, leather seating, summon (unless you order FSD) smaller frunk, did not make up for the additional range and BWDM. Not to mention 40k cost..

Bighorn | 5 dicembre 2019

I’d be curious over the internal debate whether to go with a solo S vs X.

jojim | 5 dicembre 2019

@Aerodyne we are excited for the longer range, as well as the inclusion of the cold weather package, because we have a second home in snow country and the windshield wipers on our 2015 sucked in the cold. Now we will have the variable suspension and heated wipers for the snow. We had a sun roof, but really didn’t use it much at all. We also need new tires on the MS, so there’s another chunk of money. We are only gonna have to pay insurance and car registration on one Tesla, which will be an improvement.

jojim | 5 dicembre 2019

@Bighorn we have not had good experiences with the falcon doors on our MX. And our center screen suffers from the proverbial yellowing, with a fix having been promised for months. We like our MS, and it really serves all of our uses. So, after factoring in the wonky falcon doors, the decision was easy.

Interesting and appreciated. I’ve been entertaining an X as a better road tripper as my S approaches 300k miles. Similarly, I will be happy to be without the creaks and wind noise of a sun roof. Both the S and X have suffered from the yellowed screen. Do you think the FWD issues are related to being an earlier version, since improved?

jojim | 5 dicembre 2019

@Bighorn we have road tripped across country in the MX and in the MS. They are both great cars for road tripping, however, we will definitely appreciate the longer range on the newer vehicle. In our opinion, there have been many major advancements since we bought our 2015 and since we bought our 2017. From our understanding, there have been major upgrades to the actual hardware, including faster charging. And when we test drove the most recent MS, we felt the handling was much improved, especially as it rounded corners. If you haven’t test driven the latest MS, you might want to try it.

Mathew98 | 5 dicembre 2019

Congrats on being a retired lawyer!

Downgrading to a new MS would be a nice retirement gift. Only 800 more SC visits to catch up to @BH if you hurry...

Or is it a retired rocket scientist? I get my wires crossed at times...

jojim | 5 dicembre 2019

@Mathew98 how did you know I am a newly retired lawyer? Good guess, unless you happen to be someone who knows me!

jimglas | 5 dicembre 2019

sell the truck and keep the MX

I car camp so I’ve been a little covetous of the extra bed room in the X. The Model 3 works solo, but is tight for two plus a dog, so most trips are in the S.

jojim | 5 dicembre 2019

Meh. We never really felt the MX had that much more space, but we also don’t car camp. Our dog is way too large for that. We generally Best Western across the US. Most accept dogs.

We Red Roof in a pinch. She’s only 88 pounds. I did notice that the bed profile space is pretty narrowing the X. The X was also predicated initially on holding onto the S because it’s both a great car and worthless in trade. The recently degraded range and charging has me leaning toward downsizing since the retirement piece is already in place. I’ve heard great things about the Raven upgrades that you’ve enumerated and it would be a monumental upgrade from AP0, pre-sensors and folding mirrors from 2013. Nostalgia though.

Narrow in

We were part of the welcome wagon way back when....

Tropopause | 5 dicembre 2019

When I upgraded my 2014 S for a 2017 S, I debated getting an X but ultimately decided I rarely have back seat passengers so the rear seat roominess and cool falcon wing doors would not be utilized. From the front seats forward the X and S are basically identical for driver and front passenger but the S is more jazzy on the curvy roads, which I like. Wish I had both.

Congrats on the new Raven!

akikiki | 5 dicembre 2019

jojim, You might want to go over to TMC and look at stuff for sale. There are some WC's there you might find a good deal. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/tesla-parts-for-sale.72/

And you might want to consider putting your X up for sale there. Used Xs are rare and you likely can get a good price there. Better than the trade-in
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/tesla-for-sale.70/

Silver2K | 5 dicembre 2019

I don't like the x trunk, even with seats down. The S seems roomier with seats down. The backseats moved forward cannot stay that way without constantly being reminded on the mcu to adjust the correctly.

I would have waited for the tri motor cybertruck if I were you. :)
The range is much better and so much cheaper in price.

jojim | 6 dicembre 2019

We found that when we did try to transport people in the MX, they consistently bitched about sitting in the third row. Most just insisted on taking a separate vehicle, rather than suffer the tight space in the back. We have really enjoyed our MS, and just didn’t feel we enjoyed the MX enough to keep it.