Forums

HELP NEEDED -> unable to charge my MX to full

HELP NEEDED -> unable to charge my MX to full

Purchased the 100D MX in June (Not even six months old).

I have been very cautious making sure I only charge up 80% of its full capacity to ensure maintaining the longevity of the battery!

We were leaving for a long-distance trip and I decided to set up the charging capacity limit to MAX (it supposed to be able to charge up to 295 miles) and i was shocked it was only get up to 281 miles!!!!

Is this normal? is it something wrong with my battery? This is only a six months old car and showing close to a 5% loss in the capacity of the battery...

Am I the only one experiencing such a symptom?

Bighorn | 9 dicembre 2019

Is that at 100% SOC? Yes, there seems to have been a major adjustment to measuring capacity that may be related to winter expectations. There are daily posts about this on the other sub-fora. Calling it loss or degradation is somewhat a misnomer since the car is still capable of the same distances, but with more realistic predictions.

artc1688 | 9 dicembre 2019

thanks Bighorn..

is there a scientific way to measure this? what can Tesla owners do to validate this is not something wrong with the battery capacity or charging system??

the charging capacity should be very different from the actual range achieved due to weather, road condition, driving behavior; most of all, it is calculated real-time while you are driving..

Bighorn | 9 dicembre 2019

You can look at your battery state by using the energy SOC toggle. Tesla can do a remote diagnostic on the battery, though I think some people have been charged for the service if nothing was wrong. What you're describing is so common, I wouldn't be contemplating problems. Often times, the numbers improve in the spring. My old Model S recently started showing about 20 miles less on a range charge. It has gotten more efficient on the road over the years, so that offsets the rated range number.

buickguy | 13 dicembre 2019

I, too, have an MX after owning a Model S for 5 years. When I got my MX one of my smartest moves was to change the range setting to show the SOC in percent (%) and not in miles. Showing miles is too misleading and caused too many incidents for worry. What, me worry? Not with a Tesla. I just get and drive.

artc1688 | 18 dicembre 2019

how do you change to % ???

mathwhiz | 18 dicembre 2019

The setting is in the Display tab of touchscreen controls, and is documented on page 135 of the current Owner’s Manual.

mathwhiz | 18 dicembre 2019

The setting is in the Display tab of touchscreen controls, and is documented on page 135 of the current Owner’s Manual.

artc1688 | 19 dicembre 2019

thanks... tried it and do not give me the comfort of the range I should be able to reach (what does 20% or equates to).... thanks anyway... it's an option I could consider in the future

govibak | 20 dicembre 2019

I have been trying to use both scheduled charging and scheduled departure. They worked well until recent upgrade. Now only one of them works. If car charges at scheduled time it will not warm the car at scheduled departure and vice versa.Both were set simultaneously. I am doing something wrong? any Ideas?. https://mybkexperience.club/home-depot-survey-opinion/