Forums

Needed Modes (Car Wash, 360 degree view)

Needed Modes (Car Wash, 360 degree view)

Does anyone know if Tesla is working in a Car wash mode or 360 degree view?
I went to my car wash the other day and they said they can’t take the car through the wash as it puts itself in park during the process. We need a mode to disable that feature temporarily while the car goes through and is pulled through a car wash system.
Also, my Ford and Cadillac have beautiful 360 degree views of the surroundings making parking really easy. I find I don’t know how close curbs are and fear I will hit the spoiler because I can’t see how close I am... also helps to see where the parking lines are and if you parked like an ass or not. Another much needed feature
Has anyone hear if they are working on something?

teslamazing | 9 gennaio 2020

"they said they can’t take the car through the wash as it puts itself in park during the process"

What? Putting the car in neutral puts it in park? Huh?

I use both touch and touchless all the time to the point where I have a monthly membership that gives me 1 car wash a day. Never ever had issues ...

Pg3ibew | 9 gennaio 2020

I have never had an issue with the car wash. One place asks me to sit and stay in the car as it goes through the car wash. But I have never had a problem.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 9 gennaio 2020

Triantos,
If it’s the variety of car wash which pushes the car along a track, it needs to be in neutral. You just need to inform them how. A special mode isn’t needed.

hokiegir1 | 9 gennaio 2020

Someone just has to sit in the car. Alternately, use Tow Mode instead of Neutral.

philipgood | 9 gennaio 2020

I had to put it in Neutral and stay in the car otherwise it would go to Park. How do you keep the car in N and get out? Maybe leave the phone in the car or disconnect phone and use key card?

Pg3ibew | 9 gennaio 2020

Bring the key card to the car wash.

Can’t keep car in neutral and get out. Soon as you open the door, it’ll put itself in park.

What kind of car wash doesn’t just let you sit in the vehicle ?

Joshan | 9 gennaio 2020

MAB1980 | January 9, 2020
Triantos,
If it’s the variety of car wash which pushes the car along a track, it needs to be in neutral. You just need to inform them how. A special mode isn’t needed.

This is not true, I use this type of car wash and never put it in neutral. You just cannot be in creep and cannot have brake hold on. You can simply go through in drive.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 9 gennaio 2020

Around here they typically request that you put the car in neutral, whether or not it’s a technical necessity.

drrock75k | 9 gennaio 2020

Need a command that would keep car in N, turn wipers off, and fold in mirrors.

Lotta nonsense in this thread.

U might as well just summon it through ..

Joshan | 9 gennaio 2020

It is kind of fun taking it through in drive, the sensors and alarms go NUTS :P

FISHEV | 9 gennaio 2020

Car Wash mode is definitely needed. Owners who successfully use the car wash have posted the strategies for getting it through. Haven't had the courage to try it yet and just using the Splash/Dash.

1. Put car in neutral
2. Turn off Auto Wipers
3. Do not move in the seat or it will activate park

Tesla keeps modifying the software so it may change something to make that sequence not work, autobraking coming on for example.

Tesla gets to ignore the need for the Car Wash mode as it says don't use car washes which isn't an option for people in a lot of different situations.

“Haven't had the courage to try it yet and just using the Splash/Dash.”

Why tf are you even speaking on the topic then? Idiot

Car wash mode is not “defintlety” needed. I’m speaking from experience. Like I said, I have a MONTHLY membership where I use both touch and touch-less washes. Had ZERO issues.

Definitely *

Sarah R | 9 gennaio 2020

I just take it to an all hands car wash.

numrich | 9 gennaio 2020

With regard to the 360 camera, I agree (as have many others prior) that this would be a great addition though I thought the issue was a lack of cameras in the exact correct spots to be able to duplicate what is found with other car makers.

My prior car was a Chevy Bolt and was among the first cars offering the 360 feature. Loved it. Very clear and large display, though my wife has 360 on her Mazda CX-5 but the display is very small (just portion of the screen) and in practice then fairly useless. I agree with the original post that I am not at all confident in my car placement when parking which in part is made worse by the fact that I believe my back up camera guide lines are a bit off as well.

WhiteWind | 9 gennaio 2020

I wonder how Tesla manages to beat competition by a lot without BSI,360 camera, Rear Cross Traffic alert and other unnecessary bull shit. Oh wait bc none of it needed to be best electric car on the market!

1scallawag | 9 gennaio 2020

I have no problem shifting into neutral for the car wash I use. I use it about once a week. The 360 camera view is the only thing I really miss from my 2017 AMG. I would absolutely love having 360 view on demand. I really do miss it.

WhiteWolf "Oh wait bc none of it needed" I am why past looking for and buying things that are needed! That is what my wife does. I buy things I want and I would pay big for a 360 view package because I want it, would like it, and would enjoy having it.
So many people don't get the difference between want and need....I have two M3P cars and really did not need to even buy the first one. Can anyone guess why I bought it?
And anyone who wonders "wonder how Tesla manages to beat competition by a lot" is not using a brain!

FISHEV | 9 gennaio 2020

“I wonder how Tesla manages to beat competition by a lot without BSI,360 camera, Rear Cross Traffic alert...”

Tesla doesn’t. BSI, RCTA in Tesla are inferior or non-existent vs. industry standard.

To this topic, Tesla controls are needlessly complex (moving in the seat activates Park) and driver really doesn’t know what actions/results. We see comments here from owners who read instructions and still had issues, with car washes that won’t let Tesla’s in because the car’s locked up in the wash.

So Car Wash mode would be very useful.

I heard Bolt has 360. You should check it out since you want it so bad

"FISHEV | January 9, 2020
“I wonder how Tesla manages to beat competition by a lot without BSI,360 camera, Rear Cross Traffic alert...”

Tesla doesn’t. BSI, RCTA in Tesla are inferior or non-existent vs. industry standard."
I guess Andy is right. Fish is response generator. Hey Robin Fish read first respond later.

Robo Fish*

Joshan | 9 gennaio 2020

WhiteWolf | January 9, 2020
I wonder how Tesla manages to beat competition by a lot without BSI

They do have BSI, they just only alert after you put the turn signal on.

Hi WhiteWolf, I don't want 360 enough to give up a M3 for a Bolt....but maybe a good idea for FISHEV
HAHA

Hi WhiteWolf, I don't want 360 enough to give up a M3 for a Bolt....but maybe a good idea for FISHEV
HAHA

Joshan, I know. I am using Fish's term BSI (Blind Spot indicators in the mirrors) and as you can tell it was sarcasm at his claims.

1scallawag
Hey, good choice

howard | 9 gennaio 2020

Tesla purfct need nutin by othea

@fishy “We see comments here from owners who read instructions and still had issues, with car washes that won’t let Tesla’s in because the car’s locked up in the wash”

Where ? Again not sure why your speaking in the topic if you never even experienced a car wash in ur 3 as you stated above.

Stop the nonsense.

Demixl | 20 gennaio 2020

I was facing the same issue a year ago, when I was trying to wash my Model 3. We had not too much car washing services in Sydney, and that's why it could take nearly an eternity to wash your car, I was spending my whole weekends staying in the line. But not a long time ago I found one of the best car washing services, brand new way type of services https://www.schmicko.com.au I had never seen that before, you just book and pay for the car washing service, the washer comes to you, you give him the keys and your car, sign an insurance blank, and after a couple of hours your car is back, clean and shiny. They have a phone app where you can track your car, as well as you can buy additional interior washing services . Really awesome, I could not believe it when I was giving my car for the first time, but I was much more surprised when I was taking it back.

goodspeeffffd9633 | 20 gennaio 2020

I was facing the same issue a year ago, when I was trying to wash my Model 3. We had not too much car washing services in Sydney, and that's why it could take nearly an eternity to wash your car, I was spending my whole weekends staying in the line. But not a long time ago I found one of the best car washing services, brand new way type of services https://www.schmicko.com.au I had never seen that before, you just book and pay for the car washing service, the washer comes to you, you give him the keys and your car, sign an insurance blank, and after a couple of hours your car is back, clean and shiny. They have a phone app where you can track your car, as well as you can buy additional interior washing services . Really awesome, I could not believe it when I was giving my car for the first time, but I was much more surprised when I was taking it back.

keys | 20 gennaio 2020

It will stay in neutral just fine as long as you don't move in the seat much. The first time I went through it was in neutral and as the guy handed me my credit card back I shifted in the seat to get my wallet. This was exactly at the moment he had pushed the start and the car was in park. It took a little bit but got it back into neutral. I've since done it a few times without issues.