Forums

Question for Teslatap

Question for Teslatap

Doing a little wifi troubleshooting, so went to you web site to review what you wrote about it. On your web site, under wifi, you state, "Technical
The vehicle’s WiFi hardware is located behind the main display. When a connection is made, Tesla uses a VPN (Virtual Private Network) with UDP (User Datagram Protocol). What this means is the data passed through the connection will be secure and low-latency. It is also tolerant of lost or corrupted data packets to ensure reliable results."

As UDP is not error-correcting, how is it tolerant of lost or corrupted packets?

"

NKYTA | 14 gennaio 2020

Not sure how it is "also tolerant of lost or corrupted data packets"...unless that is done by Tesla servers.

UDP : "Error checking but no recovery. Corrupted packets are simply discarded and not requested again"

TeslaTap.com | 14 gennaio 2020

@barry & NKYTA - I thought the VPN would deal with packet loss, but I can't confirm this, so I'm likely wrong on this. I've updated the page. Thanks for the correction.

murphyS90D | 14 gennaio 2020

Tesla could program the transfer, independent of the VPN, to have sequence numbers so the car would know it got out of order packets or there were missing packets. I don't know why anyone would do this for UDP packets when TCP does it automatically as part of the protocol. UDP is normally used for time sensitive data, like a phone call, where a lost packet makes no significant difference in what the receiving end hears.

Mike G | 14 gennaio 2020

My guess is that VPN is running on UDP but TCP is running over VPN connection.