Forums

Red light, stop light notification/alert - never observed

Red light, stop light notification/alert - never observed

(Most of the few times I have posted to the forum I lament the lack of a search function to find out if my question/comment has preceded me, but I don't want to go page after page looking for it. Same this time.)

My complaint is that I purchased a Tesla Model 3 Performance with all upgrades possible and I have set my software download to be as soon as possible. Yet, I have never, ever, observed a red light or stop sign alert of any kind. I have specifically gotten into AutoSteer in low or no traffic situations and approached a light that was changing to red or was already red, and the vehicle proceeded as if the intersection and red light was not there.

I get pretty irritated when I see promises of features coming out and not seeing them on my vehicle. I don't camp out on the forum looking at every tidbit of information, but big promises that don't come are very irritating. My model 3 was delivered in August of 2018 and I was to get a "badge" indicating my two-motor performance model; never happened. I was told Tesla would deliver it to me at my home; never happened. In 2019 a brand new super neural network chip was bragged about and it was stated it would be swapped in to those who had paid for Full Self Driving by year end (2019), or thereabouts. Has anyone had there chip swapped out?

Another irritating thing is that I get no notification if someone responds to my post.

Bighorn | 24 gennaio 2020

You don't have the right hardware yet. Model S and X are getting the limited supply of updated chips now. Started in September.

vmulla | 24 gennaio 2020

It works under the right circumstances even with hw2.5

gparrot | 24 gennaio 2020

Define ‘the right circumstances ‘.

dgaz | 24 gennaio 2020

vmulla - What are the right circumstances? As I said - I have tried with virtuallu no traffic, daylight conditions, great Arizona visibility, easily seem traffic light, etc., etc. - yet not a glimmer of an alert. I expected (as a YouTube hack indicated) a traffic light Icon with at least the surrent state of the light indicated. As far as a clearly visible Stop Sign? Same, not a hint.

dgaz | 24 gennaio 2020

Should have edited that one - sorry.

I've never seen either on 2.5 in my car. It's pretty routine with HW3 is my understanding.

jhbisker | 24 gennaio 2020

My MP3 w/ all options showed this beta feature once the 40.50.7 updated occurred. I’ve taken several photos to show accurate counting of traffic lights and colors, as well as combination images of parked car with two trash cans near it showing (I say being rendered) on my screen. Sounds like a HW level issue or software not at correct level. Regardless, the beta software is only supposed to register those road features not react to them.

jhbisker | 24 gennaio 2020

Should add I took delivery 12/17/2019.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 24 gennaio 2020

“ I have specifically gotten into AutoSteer in low or no traffic situations and approached a light that was changing to red or was already red, and the vehicle proceeded as if the intersection and red light was not there.”

All production teslas would. FSD on city streets is not active.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 24 gennaio 2020

My car has HW3. I see stop signs, trash cans, stop lights, road markings. I’m not sure what the point really is other than to demonstrate to the driver what the car is aware of.

vmulla | 24 gennaio 2020

Here you go this thread has more info.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/stop-light-warning-actually-useful...

I've experienced the warning for several months now.

dgaz | 24 gennaio 2020

When does one have red lights or stop signs on freeways? It seems Red Lights and Stop Sign alerts would only apply on city streets. And the claim is - my software download actually said - I might observe such alerts, but I never have.

AutoSteer obviously does work on city streets, but AutoSteer under Navigation does not. Is that the distinction? FSD is AutoSteer under Navigation?

dgaz | 24 gennaio 2020

Thanks vmulla for the link.

vmulla | 24 gennaio 2020

@Bighorn,
The warning alert happens even with older hardware on Model 3. HW3 gives the visualization of the lights/signs, but the warning is universal across Model 3s. I have the original computer in my car from Jan 2018 (HW2.5)

dgaz | 24 gennaio 2020

I guess I'll have to just experiment where a I run a red light (safely) to see if it will happen even if too late to have helped me in real life.

Bottom line - I'm looking forward to what I guess is HW3.

LostInTx | 24 gennaio 2020

Not that I'm an advocate of running red lights but if I do, my Model 3 barks at me pretty intensely. The message goes away quickly but it's bright, red, and loud.

vmulla | 24 gennaio 2020

@LostInTx,
:)) +1
---
Ok, but you really don't need to run the red light to test the system. Just be ready to stop, the alert comes up if there's a good possibility for you to run the red light.

leo33 | 24 gennaio 2020

I've had both red light and stop sign warning work for me. I have AWD, FSD, hw version 2.5, sw version 2019.40.50.7. I tested and it worked for stop sign warning on residential street with autosteer on and speed set to 30mph. It warned me in time to stop. With an earlier version I had red light warning warn me in time to stop and it likely avoided an accident.

Even though they have worked I do not depend on either of them yet, but I figure they do provide an extra level of safety.

bp | 24 gennaio 2020

FWIW, I have HW3, no FSD, FSD-preview enabled (and I see stop signs, signals, cans, cones, and street markings on the visualizer), and I’ve never gotten a stop sign or stoplight warning. I’ve even run a red light and still gotten nothing. I’m not sure if speed is a factor, or if it’s just not very reliable.

vmulla | 24 gennaio 2020

What do you know! I just experienced a stop sign warning. I was doing a rolling stop and the car didn't like it //thumbs-up//
I have the dashcam footage that I'll upload soon. It might not show the warning or audio, but it will show the circumstances when a stopsign warning is triggered.

vmulla | 24 gennaio 2020

Here's the video where I experienced a stopSIGN warning. It's the first time I experienced it

Skip to 0:45+

https://youtu.be/U3EYcSKrV2Q

So 2.5 warns if you’re about to cause an accident or infraction and HW3 displays signs and lights whenever encountered. I guess that’s why I have never seen it.

vmulla | 24 gennaio 2020

@Bighorn,
Owch! :))

Marino Model 3 | 26 gennaio 2020

DGAZ, those are my issues as well, everything you talk about is the same with me I have a M3 same as yours, i have tested my M3 over and over while driving to see if the my M3 would detect red lights and stop signs, it has never detects them. I wonder if something is wrong with my M3, maybe the software update did not run correctly? Who knows, I am waiting for a notice about the update on the chip as well. It does not feel good when so many people on the FORUM report that their M3 recognizes lights and stops signs and our M3 does not. What can we do to correct this?