Forums

Electric pickup sighting

Electric pickup sighting

Two disguised pickups followed by a support GM pickup were seen driving in SoCal this weekend.
A friend briefly talked to drivers on Via Volcano though they did not want to be identified.
They did drive down the 26% grade of Los Gatos Road with dangerous curves then back up.
Might have been prototypes from Lordstown given the similar shape and wheels.

These are paved roads but there are some rugged dirt roads nearby with considerable chaparral
overgrowth and need for high road clearance. Sure would like to see a cybertruck test these roads.

jordanrichard | 18 febbraio 2020

Lordstown is closed. GM in a partnership with another company will be building a new factory near by, to build their electric truck. Did these guys say it was an EV truck? Seems odd for them to send a truck from OH all the way to CA to test it, when there are plenty of mountains in Utah and Colorado.

David N | 18 febbraio 2020

Not from the closed up GM Lordstown in Ohio. I live in the area and nothing going on there. The highly reported Deal for EV’s at that plant is in trouble and may not happen.

Jordan +1
Story Sounds fishy

Plenty of mountains in Pennsylvania, right next door (Appalachia mountains)

jimglas | 18 febbraio 2020

Appalachia =/= Mountains
; )

teslu3 | 18 febbraio 2020

He has a law enforcement background and said it had the shape and wheels of the Lordstown Endurance:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/cars/electric-pickup-truck-wars/index.html
Definitely two electric pickup trucks. One of the drivers was adamant about secrecy and said little.
Not fishy, just strange. Competition is building and many may prefer the conventional look.
I do hope the Cybertruck is very capable off road to handle deep ruts, boulders and paint-wrecking plants, especially traversing a steep road to pick up a load of boulders (well, large rocks) as we have done in his F-250.

jordanrichard | 18 febbraio 2020

Well the only thing that is different in the shape of the Endurance vs a traditional truck is the grill. Everything else is pick up truck 101.

It still makes no sense to build a truck in OH to then ship it to CA for terrain testing.

Earl and Nagin ... | 19 febbraio 2020

@jordanrichard,
. . . unless you have an electronic and autonomous systems design center in the Si Valley that's doing some road testing. I know that VW and BMW do and I suspect a few others do as well.

Nexxus | 20 febbraio 2020

GM's EV's are going to be built at the Detroit Hamtracck facility.

Earl and Nagin ... | 20 febbraio 2020

@Nexxus,
But where is the engineering done?

Earl and Nagin ... | 20 febbraio 2020

Maybe Tesla has put their Cybertruck drivetrain inside a different body and is testing it near their HQ?

teslu3 | 20 febbraio 2020

At least Cybertruck can drive long distances without range anxiety. Driving from Ohio or Michigan to SoCal is likely a challenge for other pickup EVs.

Frozenbrownie011 | 22 febbraio 2020

One of the drivers was adamant about secrecy and said little.
Not fishy, just strange. Competition is building and many may prefer the conventional look.
I do hope the Cybertruck is very capable off road to handle deep ruts, https://www.mcdvoice.reviews/ boulders and paint-wrecking plants, especially traversing a steep road to pick up a load of boulders (well, large rocks) as we have done in his F-250.