Forums

Tesla vs Ferrari

Tesla vs Ferrari

The 3P beats the 2020 Ferrari Portofino on an Italian track.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-performance-vs-ferrari-portofino...

Geico | 25 febbraio 2020

That's awesome! Glad my car can beat a $200,000 car on the track

lbowroom | 25 febbraio 2020

on the street too.

rsingh05 | 25 febbraio 2020

@lbowroom - of course on the street too :-) goes without saying.

jfaubl | 25 febbraio 2020

Awesome!
I just can't stop flooring this car and whipping it around corners.

jjgunn | 25 febbraio 2020

Ever break the tires loose? I have.... but software fixes it fairly quickly & it feels like another launch. LOL

Best. Car. Ever.

FactDoc | 25 febbraio 2020

The 24hr of Le Mans would be incredible competition

With battery swaps

"24hr of Le Mans"

exactly the kind of race that is not suited for an EV

NorthValley | 25 febbraio 2020

@lbowroom if Ford could change the brakes (a la Ford v Ferrari) then perhaps Tesla can have swappable battery packs...then it could be game on for Le Mans!

10 second battery swap every 80 miles? (I'm guessing at the 80, but at those speeds, probably not far off)

Tesla2018 | 25 febbraio 2020

On a track with a long straightaway the Tesla might lose since it has a lower top speed. Was doing 110 behind a friend in one on a deserted road and then he floored it.The owner said he was doing about 190. I'rm not sure how theTesla brakes would hold up either compared to Ferraris that have the be 12K? ceramic racing brake package.

rsingh05 | 25 febbraio 2020

Tesla Brakes fared than the ferraris in this test.

The Ferrari will have higher top speed. That said, remember this is the model 3. The roadster will match the ferraris price point and with its 250mph top speed, it will be game over for the Ferrari pretty quickly.

JAD | 25 febbraio 2020

Getting 80 Miles per tank on an ice in race conditions would be very hard and generally require an extra large fuel cell which is heavily regulated. If they wanted to allow EV to be competitive they could. A few years ago they decided diesel would be allowed and they dominates for a few years based on the engine and tank sizes allowed. It is all about the rules, only a little about the tech.

Nakid | 25 febbraio 2020

Keep in mind the new Roadster is also rated at 620 miles. So, maybe 100-150 miles of race range?

Twochewy | 25 febbraio 2020

Can’t wait to see what the Roadster can do. But, it won’t beat a Ferrari at the 24hrs of Le Mans anytime soon. Something an ICE is simply better at.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 25 febbraio 2020

JAD | February 25, 2020
Getting 80 Miles per tank on an ice in race conditions would be very hard and generally require an extra large fuel cell which is heavily regulated.

Race cars would just be purpose-built. Formula 1 for example is ~190 miles and done with something in the ballpark of 30 gallons of fuel.

I don’t follow formulaE but I assume that like current F1 rules they don’t re”fuel”.

JAD | 26 febbraio 2020

Formula E changed cars half way through the race until this year. Now no refueling.

Most race cars have the biggest tank the rules allow, but the rules are set up to balance speed and tank size is one parameter they use. Big engines get small tanks and have to stop more, or when they were promoting diesels, they got big tanks and went much further.

Battery size limitations will be used the same way I would guess.

JAD | 26 febbraio 2020

Also, F1 cars are forced to get that 6 or so mpg as refueling is not allowed. Before that rule their fuel economy was about half that and they had much more power but only went about 50 Miles between fuel stops.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 26 febbraio 2020

That’s my point, really: race cars are designed for the race. If the race doesn’t allow refueling, the design of the car follows.