Forums

How low of a tire pressure (PSI) can I still drive with?

How low of a tire pressure (PSI) can I still drive with?

Hi all,
I watched a video on youtube (Frugal tesla guy) where he had a flat tire and he still drove the car. The tire didn't loose all air of course. It was slowly leaking so it could be monitored while driving. How low can the pressure go and still be able to safely drive? I understand that road condition, speed, etc will make a difference but let's assume it is on a paved road and conservative (about 45mph, 73kmh) driving. I'm curious because I thought I should call road service right away and not drive at all. BTW the youtuber was getting new tires the next day or so anyway so I guess damage to the tire was of no concern to him.
Thanks

JAD | 25 febbraio 2020

There is no exact answer. The lower the pressure, the worse the handling, stopping distances change, risk of tire and rim damage increase. It isn't a cliff, the lower the pressure, the greater the risks. Just keep the pressure near the factory spec unless you know what you are doing and have a good reason.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 25 febbraio 2020

0psi. . . But you’ll need a new tire and wheel. ;-)

andy.connor.e | 25 febbraio 2020

Reminds me of grand theft auto. Driving on your rims will be like drifting.

CharleyBC | 25 febbraio 2020

So if it's a situation where the tire is leaking, but not dead flat, well that's why I bought a pump. Since the 3 has no spare, we bought a 12V nice little compressor. If I get an alert that a tire is low, I'll stop and pump it up. It'll probably give me the alert again in a few miles as the leak continues. I'll pump again. And repeat until I can get somewhere and get the tire fixed.

coleAK | 25 febbraio 2020

Safely, shouldn’t drive below recommended psi on your door sticker. For a short distance with a leak like you mentioned the lower the psi the higher chance you will destroy the tire and wheel.

Bighorn | 25 febbraio 2020

Tires can probably survive to about 25 psi. Much softer and your sidewall will be quickly trashed. Most leaks are slow and re-pumping can get you there. Fortunately, you have a very accurate TPMS to monitor the situation.

-TheJohn- | 25 febbraio 2020

I've driven half a mile+ with 25-27ish psi and all was fine except for my nerves. 19" tires btw. Got some air and took it to our local tire folks who plugged it for free. Go Jack Furriers here in AZ!

ST70 | 25 febbraio 2020

7.3 psi

Syed.Hosain | 26 febbraio 2020

The load index of the tire gets derated as the pressure is lower than expected. At some point, hitting a bump could cause a tire failure without warning if the impact is too high a force - the sidewall will break open. At speed, this could be very dangerous.

My pressures are kept just below 45 psi (as listed on the sidewall), but I am about to adjust down a couple of psi to get a bit more even cross-tread wear.

It it gets near 40 to 41 (takes a month or two since tires lose about 1 psi every few weeks - that is normal), I pump it back up.

In the OP's position, I would never let it be at more than 10 psi below the listed value, and certainly never below 30 psi.ever.

RedPillSucks | 27 febbraio 2020

Has anyone checked out modernspare.com? Curious if this is viable, though it would take up a bit of trunk space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFj9U1h82hs

landoncube | 27 febbraio 2020

I have a Modern spare. Said to fit both my P3D and Dual Motor. Never used.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 1 marzo 2020

I bought a 12v pump and a tire plug kit and keep it in the trunk. Haven’t had to use it yet. Fingers crossed