Forums

Non-Presenting door handle X 5

Non-Presenting door handle X 5

Has anyone had any issues with malfunctioning/ non-functioning door handles? My 2013 P85 has had a total of 6 door handle replacements. This will be the THIRD replacement of the driver's door handle - the driver's side passenger door has been replaced twice & the others have been replaced once. I call foul on this. I was told that in the year that this head of mobile tech repair has been in his position this was the most common issue people complained to him about. I am being asked to pay for yet another replacement since my extended Tesla warranty is obviosuly up. But doesn't that say something that this part has failed SO MANY TIMES? I am BEYOND angry about this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take this up to a higher authority?

calbeach95 | 19 maggio 2020

This will actually be the 6th replacement - there have been a total of 5 replacement door handles up until today.

akikiki | 19 maggio 2020

Nope, I think this is the first time we have seen this issue reported here. What was it again, - door handle? Anyone else seen this? Higher authority? What's an higher authority supposed to do for you? And what's beyond BEYOND angry?

barrykmd | 19 maggio 2020

You need a new timing belt.

akikiki | 19 maggio 2020

LOL

Tldickerson | 19 maggio 2020

I had the right front door handle repaired on my current S about a year ago, it's a 2016.

RandallKeith | 19 maggio 2020

I had a 12 V battery replaced in my driveway a few weeks ago. Technician and I got in a discussion over door handles. I have a October 2014 with Gen 2 door Handles. My drivers door handle was replaced with a GEN 3 a couple years ago. He took a GEN 3 doorhandle out of his truck along with a new GEN 4 doorhandle and showed me the difference. It is very impressive, no exposed wiring, heavier gear set, all around simpler design. He told me they are hoping this will solve the doorhandle problem.

Corp | 20 maggio 2020

@akikiki:
> And what's beyond BEYOND angry?

Plaid, of course! :-)

TeslaTap.com | 20 maggio 2020

@calbeach95 - Sorry, I don't have any funny comebacks. Your 2013 S likely had version 1 handles. These had a fair number of failures after 2-5 years, and Tesla improved the design with V2 handles, and later v3 handles. Perhaps some of the early failures got replaced with v2 handles. The v3 handles have been very reliable, with an occasional rare fault. The failure rate can be higher on high-milage cars where the handles are activated far more times than vehicles with fewer miles. You didn't state your mileage, which can be a factor.

Unlike most manufacturers, when a new improved design becomes available, Tesla uses the new design as a replacement. Most other manufactures do not upgrade designs until a new model year.The old design is left with the old models and rarely improved or updated.

akikiki | 20 maggio 2020

Corp, LOL Yeah Good one.

info | 20 maggio 2020

I feel left out. My 2018 has never had a door handle problem. Should I kick it ?

barrykmd | 20 maggio 2020

Info - No. talking about it will cause a failure in the near future.

p.c.mcavoy | 22 maggio 2020

TeslaTap.com | May 20, 2020 - Unlike most manufacturers, when a new improved design becomes available, Tesla uses the new design as a replacement. Most other manufactures do not upgrade designs until a new model year.The old design is left with the old models and rarely improved or updated.
====================

@TT - Tesla is not as unique in this regard as you continue to view them. Many manufacturers throughout the industry will update individual components like this which a form/fit/function interchangeable, not only for new production, but for service replacement. Many times it’s in their financial best interest; avoids carrying multiple parts in service as well as suppliers needing to maintain production of older parts.

Qwiksilver | 22 maggio 2020

2013 85S

2 handles replaced under warranty