Forums

Property Tax Holiday 2020 - Corona Virus Edition

Property Tax Holiday 2020 - Corona Virus Edition

So I was thinking, how can we help homeowners right away as we try to open up the economy... why not have states waive all 2020 property taxes for home owners? This would help keep money in our pockets today and around the critical election time period. Lots of people are having a hard time making rent and mortgage payments... it would be awesome to see our states care about the residents and waive those funds across the board.

Just a thought...

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 22 maggio 2020

Can I expect an income tax holiday thread, an estate tax holiday thread, and a cap gains tax holiday thread too?

FISHEV | 22 maggio 2020

"So I was thinking, how can we help homeowners right away as we try to open up the economy... why not have states waive all 2020 property taxes for home owners?"

35% of Americans are not homeowners and only those who lost jobs need an economic boost so funneling the money to the enhanced Unemployment is the way to go as recession has disproportionately affected lower income people, part time workers, self employed, those in that 35%.

Also, the enhanced UI with the $600 Federal added to state UI pretty much makes up for income at that level so they are paying mortgages, property taxes, rent (to those paying property taxes), food, utilities, clothing, transportation. Bottom funds everybody while top down only funds those at the top. There is no trickle down, never was.

Then the small business loans to cover employee wages and OH while business is slow was also excellent with forgiveness if documented that it was spent 70% for employees.

Like the Trump dollars, the pointless $900 that 50% of people still haven't seen, instead these gimmicks sent mostly to people still working and not needing it, funnel to those out of work and fills the economic holes.

Now specific to EV's, be good to see Green New Deal change the EV Tax Credit to a EV credit of $10k that can be used against the car purchase, based on same EV criteria as the tax credit and no 200,000 limits as EV's are always going to be more than ICE to 2050 which is our timetable for cutting emissions by 80% from 2000 levels.

Target money to those who lost jobs and need it. Target credit to goals we need to meet in green house gas emissions.

Bottoms up.

WW_spb | 22 maggio 2020

No school no tax

fazman | 23 maggio 2020

@WW_spb - actually they still require me to make sure my kid can get online and do “school” from home. So I as a parent must stay home any take care of him and can’t go into work/have to time split between work and home life att he same time.

The schools still get the $30 or $40 per business day even tho I am the one who is actually taking the time to teach him.

FISHEV | 23 maggio 2020

@ WW_spb | May 22, 2020 No school no tax"

I'd keep teachers employed doing online lesson plans and setting up for online summer classes for kids for four hours a day to help parents out with home schooling. Online and home schooling is no doubt setting kids back and having summer programs online focusing on math and reading will be a huge help.

Also a great time to do all the maintenance on school buildings which, due to tight budgets on public education are need of repair. Setting them up for classes in a pandemic will likely require modifications also. Construction work with masks is not unusually so good way to get construction workers jobs.

SCCRENDO | 23 maggio 2020

It’s the states and cities that need the money. So cutting property tax is counterproductive

andy.connor.e | 23 maggio 2020

Sending people checks or not collecting taxes are one in the same. Print money to send checks, or print money to cover the taxes you dont collect. Either option results in inflation.

WW_spb | 23 maggio 2020

Lol you telling me what teachers did? I have 8 and 6 year olds that I was teaching past 3 month bc of no school. Teachers didn't do online classes. I had to study with kids. They did once a week 30 min zoom call where they played scavenge hunt with kids and that's about it. Yes, they provided schedule to what we need to study and different online sources we can use but they didn't teach them all this time. I live in great school district and school is rated 9 out of 10. I want refund. I was a teacher for 3 month. We studied from 9 to 1. 4 hours is a part time job.

WW_spb | 23 maggio 2020

Oh Fish our school was just built from scratch two years ago, no repairs needed.

FISHEV | 23 maggio 2020

@WW_spb | May 23, 2020 Oh Fish our school was just built from scratch two years ago, no repairs needed."

That's nice now back to the reality than 70% of US public schools are in need of extensive maintenance and repairs. Changes will need to be made if kids return to class in September 2020, more room, more classrooms.

Online teaching needs to be implemented for Summer so kids can catch up from parents who think they were teaching kids to real teachers with structured lessons. Also take burden off of parents. Providing poor kids with computer access should be easy, providing laptops with cellular built in.

We need to get that working now. So public education needs more funding but like everything else in the Trump/GOP Great Recession 2.0, the tax base supporting it has taken a hit even with the Democrats great bottoms up Unemployment booster.

Andy. As I said in other thread the Feds print money not the States. You should try printing money and see what the Secret Service thinks

Tesla2018 | 23 maggio 2020

@WW-spb.

I don't have any kids and I still have to pay school taxes so. I want a refund too!

i guess the point is they need their budget, so unless they can manage to work without the money, it'll come from somewhere. never said the state will print

More magical thinking. Perhaps we can get illegals to pick it off the money tree.

printing money is magic

fazman | 24 maggio 2020

There is no right answer and endless tangents of things that could/should happen. But I agree that my kid is being short changed in school, I am picking up most of the slack for his education (I have a vested interest to see him succeed).

I also have two homes 300 miles apart both in good school districts and the homes are each $1M+ while my kid only goes to one of the schools, my neighbors in the other home also shared the same/similar concerns. Its probably a nationwide issue.

I have no reason to punish the teachers for this or in no way did I mean to impact their income/salary/tenure... but the school DISTRICT does get between $30-$40 / day from the federal gov’t for each day the child “shows” up. Thats why schools send nasty grams to the parents any tome the child is late or missing school (As Stewie from Family Guy would say - “Where’s my money”):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq21oGMSSCk

FISHEV | 24 maggio 2020

fazman | May 24, 2020 There is no right answer and endless tangents of things that could/should happen. But I agree that my kid is being short changed in school, I am picking up most of the slack for his education (I have a vested interest to see him succeed)."

There are several right answers and it is very doubtful you are picking up any slack on your kids education.

"Thats why schools send nasty grams to the parents any tome the child is late or missing school"

What an idiot. Attendance at school is one of the major metrics of whether a kid will succeed in school and that's why schools are big on attendance.

You seem very ignorant of all the facts about education.

TabascoGuy | 24 maggio 2020

Wow. Totally unhinged.

andy.connor.e | 24 maggio 2020

if we're talking about grade schools, their reputation and budgets are dependent on an attendance record and a grading record. all at the same time being forced to be compliant with the education system they are basically told to follow, so its not even the teachers teaching our kids anymore.

Talk about educational ignorance. Its arguably more indoctrinating today than educational.

FISHEV | 24 maggio 2020

@andy.connor.e | May 24, 2020 if we're talking about grade schools, their reputation and budgets are dependent on an attendance record and a grading record.

Nope. Dependent most on economics of parents. Video by Navajo kid about phony stats on health care and he noted on the "online study", he like many poor kids has no wifi access at home.

Attendance is a huge metric for kids learning, some person ignorant of the facts said schools were bit on it as some kind of bounty.

GOP has been anti-public ed because they want religion in school and because educated people don't vote GOP.

rxlawdude | 24 maggio 2020

@WW " I was a teacher for 3 month."

Obviously failed the probationary period.