Forums

Model 3 Reservation Poicy

Model 3 Reservation Poicy

Your policy is misguided. To give preference to Tesla owners is to actually walk away from presenting the Model 3 as the People's Car offered to a mass market. Only the few rich can buy the S and the X and for them to have a priority access to the 3 is being unfair to the common people. For instance, I had planned on making a reservation for the 3 on April 1. However, knowing now that I will be placed towards the tail end is a discouragement for me. I need a car fairly soon and thus I may need to opt for a Toyota now and not allow myself to be treated as a second class citizen by Tesla.
You will lose even more customers this way now that the State of California has decided to not extend credit for EV purchase to individuals earning more than 250,000. The market for the rich few will thus shrink.
I cannot believe that an enlightened man like Elon Musk will so aggressively seek to make the richer reap more benefits of environmental progress and let the common man down.
I guess scientific genius does not have a necessary connection to being a man with an impartial outlook. The rich do not need protection and preferential treatment. It should be the other way around.
Everybody should be placed on the queue following the same principle---first come first served. After all, everyone will pay the same sticker price.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Tesla wrote:

Thanks for your interest in the Model 3 unveiling. Unfortunately your name wasn’t drawn for a ticket to the unveil. The good news is, you can still join in the experience. We’ll live stream the event on Tesla.com beginning at 8.30pm PDT on March 31.
Tesla
We’re excited to share more details about our Model 3 unveil plans. We’ll be live streaming the event on Tesla.com beginning at 8.30pm PDT on March 31. Tune in to join in the experience. We can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on.

Reservations for Model 3 begin on March 31st worldwide. There are two ways to make a reservation. The first, which will allow you to get a better spot in the queue, is to visit your local Tesla store when it opens on March 31st. Second is to make a reservation online at Tesla.com when the live unveil starts at 8:30pm PDT.

FIND US

Reservation amounts in each currency can be found here.

In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for reservations in each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region (one priority reservation for each Tesla they own). For those who aren’t Tesla owners yet, this means the fastest way to buy a Model 3 is to buy a Model S or Model X.

Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets.

Thank you for your continued support!

The Tesla Team

3203 Jack Northrop Ave. Hawthorne, CA 90250
Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe
Vimeo YouTube Tesla Facebook

Click here to Reply or Forward
1.37 GB (9%) of 15 GB used
Manage
Terms - Privacy
Last account activity: 13 hours ago
Details

J.T. | 25 marzo 2016

>>> I need a car fairly soon and thus I may need to opt for a Toyota now and not allow myself to be treated as a second class citizen by Tesla.<<<

Are you aware that the first Model 3s are scheduled for delivery in early 2018?

Even Tesla wouldn't call that fairly soon.

Benz | 25 marzo 2016

The current position of Tesla Motors is partially thanks to all the people who have decided to buy a Tesla EV. All these people have contributed to keep Tesla Motors alive and on track to be successful. It's absolutely correct that Tesla Motors wants to thank them and give them a special treatment. Anybody who also would like to get that special treatment can still buy a Tesla Model S and/or a Tesla Model X.

Ankit Mishra | 25 marzo 2016

Tesla owners helped company reach where it is now. Model 3 is an affordable Tesla car which will compete with BMW 3 etc. It's still a premium product so please stop with rich vs poor comparison. Tesla owners worked hard in life to earn money and bought a car from a young company they believed in. This relationship is much more than money related. It's not Tesla's fault that incentives are going to run out. Please request your government to extend the incentives.

PhillyGal | 25 marzo 2016

@karabisen - Your opinion is valid and understandable but please remember that current owners - especially early ones - took a very big risk with a very lot of money. Trusting their safety to a brand new company, taking a car when few service centers existed that could fix it and most of all, being brand ambassadors so that Tesla didn't need to waste precious resources on traditional advertisements... For that, a thank you.

Plus, existing owners will probably be more forgiving if early cars off the production lines come with bugs. The mass market will have Tesla's head if their $35,000 car has more (minor) problems than their last $19,000 Corolla.

PeterPlt | 25 marzo 2016

@karabisen

-10 ;-(

You attribute the reservation system to some kind of class benefit. You obviously do not read the Tesla forums or know many Tesla owners. Many Tesla owners have spent more on this car than any other previously. They believe in Tesla, its products and its intent so much that they stretched to be part of it all.

Tesla is a very young company. It has been a great success story with its share of bumps in the road relative to production quality, product development and service. With a limited production and a "fanboy/fangirl" customer base, these hiccups are not critical. With a mass consumer product (Model 3) it is critical when they begin to deliver the cars to "new" customers they need to have it really right! Delivering early cars to current employees and owners gives them a grace period to fine tune their production and quality assurance processes. It also rewards those who have been part of this journey over the past few years, including employees for whom the Model S was financially out of reach.

If you really think the order system is about class and privilege, you don't get it. Maybe you would be happier with a Toyota...

shanethompson | 25 marzo 2016

Buying a Toyota is Un-American! Support America and American companies!

flight505 | 25 marzo 2016

Well said PhillyGall!!!!

I am 350 miles from nearest service center!!!

But I really believe in this company. The Big automakers would not do their environmental duty.

Tesla stepped up, but what if we had not?

Chunky Jr. | 25 marzo 2016

I agree with @PhillyGal. I think Tesla is looking for us to beta test the Model 3 since we have been good beta testers for Model S and Model X.

Ankit Mishra | 25 marzo 2016

Spacex employees will get priority too. Thus will cause more complaining so I hoped they would avoid it. But since they have gone ahead, I support their decision.

Haggy | 25 marzo 2016

Giving current owners priority is not the same as putting everybody else at the end of the list. If 10% of current owners ordered a Model 3 and Tesla did nothing but support those customers first, it could delay things by a couple of months, assuming that everybody ordered immediately. But it's not fair to assume that Tesla would make all of those before starting on cars for non-current-owners. Tesla never said what they meant by "priority." They didn't say that an owner who orders six months from now will have priority over a non-owner who orders today, but it's fair to speculate that an owner who orders six months from now might have priority over a non-owner who orders six months from now.

When I ordered my car, people who ordered the P had priority, so I had to wait another month. It didn't mean they made nothing but the P until they ran out of orders. Chances are that if they want to ship a bunch of cars to a specific region, they will include some low end and high end and some for non-owners rather than sending out fewer cars at once to one region in order to give absolute priority to current owners. The latter would make no business sense.

Likewise, they can't make cars exclusively for Fremont pickup until they run out of orders, because they want a nationwide presence and that would be no way to treat customers. But they can start off with local deliveries until they work out the kinks in manufacturing, and then start to arrange for transportation to other regions once they feel they can coordinate the manufacturing of a certain volume with the pre-arranged transportation, delivery, staffing, etc.

They are also telling new owners that once they become owners, they might have priority in the future, and it's good to know that they stand by customers. If you've ever walked into a dealership and found that there's a promotion for new customers only, you'd know the frustration if you were an existing customer and you didn't get it. It's good to do things to attract new customers, but it can be better to also work on retaining existing ones.

finman100 | 25 marzo 2016

How about 1st time buyers discount? ala home-buying?

Sure the current Tesla owners get the cars 1st (and historically CAN afford a Tesla) at a regular price.

Then, us non-owner wannabes get to be in line after that but with a 1st time buyer discount. Say $1500 off? OR Auto-pilot? OR bigger battery? OR...let the negotiations begin! So exciting. I'm not patient and do not WANT to wait 3 years (okay I'll say 2 years, I'm in Oregon), but reward me for being so. Yes, having a Tesla is reward enough, I gather that. Just throwing that out there. Seems to be win-win.

dd.micsol | 25 marzo 2016

Tesla won't give anything away in my honest opinion. Maybe-just maybe elon will toss in autopilot as a freebee to first day buyers. I don't know though and I highly doubt it as stock holders will hate it.

artC | 25 marzo 2016

@finman
Your going to WA square on 3/31, right? 7:00AM?
I'm going to be there at 7ish. Bringing a folding chair(can't stand for long periods) and energy bars.

finman100 | 25 marzo 2016

well, yes and no. I'm going to Wash Sq. but after work. so about 6 PM. I wish i could do the early bird thing.

SUN 2 DRV | 25 marzo 2016

IMHO Part of the reason for offering cars to existing owners first is that they are more likely to be more tolerant of early teething problems and providing feedback on resolving issues. New owners might expect a problem free experience right from the beginning, which may not be quickly achievable.

Any new tech product goes through Alpha, Beta and Release testing. I think the Employees given first dibs on reservations to be the Beta testers and then current owners have the chance at an early car to fundamentally do the Release level testing and feedback.

ST70 | 25 marzo 2016

@karabisen - you sound much more knowledgeable than Musk ....go away and buy your Toyota dumb@ss

Haggy | 25 marzo 2016

The problem with a first time discount is that it penalizes repeat customers. I could always have my wife buy it, but that would take away the advantage of my priority. There's no reason for Tesla to give a discount. If people are willing to pay the standard price, and there's a significant backlog, a discount would serve no purpose.

With the Model S, Tesla is selling them faster than they can make them, but they still have showrooms and test drives and staff for all that. With the Model X, it's still a matter of people reserving sight unseen.and for the most part, the people in the showroom aren't spending time convincing them to buy the car they reserved, but helping them pick options. With the Model 3, I expect it will be that way for a while too. It won't be until demand slows down and they are ready to let people order and configure on line that Tesla will have to decide if incentives are in order.

msksus1 | 25 marzo 2016

enjoy your toyota. It is a free country and you do have that choice.