Forums

135000 cars revised number in first day

135000 cars revised number in first day

Just read that. No wonder the web site was slow. Waiting for confirmation of my order from last night.
Remarkable!

jordanrichard | 1 aprile 2016

135,000 x $1,000 = $135,000,000 in less than 48 hours.

Bighorn | 1 aprile 2016

Over 150k, probably significantly.

Mike83 | 1 aprile 2016

Not sure how big orders will be. I would guess 300000 in a week. The M3 looks awesome and it's a Tesla!

milesbb | 1 aprile 2016

With orders continuing at this rate the backlog should be 73,912,500 cars when the first car is delivered in 18 months. That would be a 148 yr backlog.

Chunky Jr. | 1 aprile 2016

I wouldn't be surprised if there are 250K+ by end of weekend. People will have time to soak it in and read more about it. Everything I have read so far has been very positive.

Anyone know how the door handles work. I haven't seen any videos showing if they pop out ala MS or essentially touch pads like the MX?

Mike83 | 1 aprile 2016

Börg has some videos but have not seen them yet

Chunky Jr. | 1 aprile 2016

My guilty pleasure are those auto restoration/modification shows on TV, and on one of them "Bitchin Rides", they frequently use handles like the ones shown on the red M3 where they curve up on the end. You press that and the other end flips out. It's a mechanical release. So it could be something like that.

PhillyGal | 1 aprile 2016

@jordan - I think they were spring loaded. One time I saw it looked like one end of the long silver handle was pushed in and the othe came out. I should have paid more attention.

So PG, worth the trip out there? Glad to see that it started on time.

MarlonBrown | 1 aprile 2016

Could we see 300K ordered until end of 2016?
It seems reasonable to say these cars will have a year backlog soon.

Bighorn | 1 aprile 2016

They were at 150k by the end of the reveal, so likely 50k sales over about a 3-4 hour period. Lots of people were not aware of the reveal and start of deposits, even friends of mine who are interested in Tesla. 300k will probably come and go fairly soon.

biggestfan | 1 aprile 2016

I would say that many of the die hard Tesla followers have either already reserved one or will do so within the next couple of weeks. I would anticipate orders to slow down then pick back up once deliveries have not only started, but the numbers improve enough to eliminate some of the wait. At current reservation numbers I would expect that production for Model 3 in 2017 and 2018 is quite possibly booked already.

Bighorn | 1 aprile 2016

Latest count: 180k

Mike83 | 1 aprile 2016

With options that is about $8 billion for 180k. Maybe 4 times that in a few weeks runs it to $32 billion. EM better crack the bullwhip. May need to hire some temps.

dd.micsol | 1 aprile 2016

And everyone questioned my 150k first day orders? All those questions about incentives-looks like it will be irrelevant with all these orders. Just glad they will roll them out via tens of 1,000s to regions alternating. Elon will be hiring a lot more truckers for delivery. Knowing he has about 10b + coming from model 3 orders he better get a move on it. He can invest a lot and expand rapidly without worry now. I'll bet that will happen and he'll shock the world with early delivery. BUT, I'm an opportunist. I could be wrong.