Forums

Towing capacity

Towing capacity

If I recall, Elon mentioned the Model 3 would have a tow hitch. Anyone have any details on it? I'm sure it'll be useful for bikes and such, but any idea what the rating with be? I'm hoping for 3500lbs like a Subaru.
unrelated, but no "search" feature on this forum? no wonder things get asked over and over again..

dsvick | 29 giugno 2016

No, there are no official details on this yet - just endless speculation.

You're right there is no search built into the forums but you can use google to limit the search to this site by doing this in the search box:
site:forums.teslamotors.com towing

WormtownKris | 29 giugno 2016

Considering the various Model X videos out there, the Model 3 towing capacity might be a pleasant surprise!

EaglesPDX | 29 giugno 2016

Tesla 3 should be able to tow 5,000#. The HP and Torque of EV is perfect for towing. The heavy structure for the battery provides a solid frame. The Tesla they modified for Pike's Peak run has a good demonstration of this for the crash cage installation.

Add in AWD and Air Suspension, as Tesal requires for towing on the TX, and T3 would perfect.

The air suspension will help with Tesla S/3's base low road clearance and helps level the trailer load which adds stability. My boat and trailer are 4600# so I have some skin in the game pushing for 5,000#.

I could see a more likely, more conservative 2,700# to compete with a Subaru Outback.

But I'm hoping Tesla has enough experience with the TX towing to go big on the T3 on the tow rating.

dave.m.mcdonough | 30 giugno 2016

Well, unfortunately we won't know until we have the production weight of the vehicle. The official capacity is based on that, no matter how much torque it can put down.

darlin | 30 giugno 2016

It will not be able to tow 5000lbs. The car will not weigh enough for that. Simple math and engineering prove this.

darlin | 30 giugno 2016

The S has the same drive train as the X and it can not tow 5000lbs.

Hi_Tech | 30 giugno 2016

I don't have much experience with towing things, but from what I'm gathering, MX's batteries can heat up with that extra tow load. If that is the case, I think we need to factor that piece in when figuring what the M3 will be able to tow (as well as HP, torque, weight, etc.).

PhillyGal | 30 giugno 2016

Towing makes supercharging tricky. The charge port is on the rear. Some newer locations have a pull-in stall or two but as the internet has already seen, a MX with a bike rack took up 3 spaces at Newark recently, presumably because backing in with a bike rack made it hard. Backing in with a trailer is not possible.

My brother, even with his half a brain, mentioned that to me day 1. "Sure, I'd get an EV pickup truck but I need to be able to charge when I pull my trailer. As it stands, I can't even get gas at every station because my trailer won't fit."

Not that we need to build for every corner case such as his (a travel trailer that sleeps 12) but it was an interesting point anyway.

Badbot | 30 giugno 2016

towing is displayed here,

https://www.youtube dot com/watch?v=s9k1KaoNDHw
remove DOT and add .

bb0tin | 30 giugno 2016

@darlin
You said "It will not be able to tow 5000lbs. The car will not weigh enough for that. Simple math and engineering prove this."
Would you provide the simple math and engineering please.

tfay412 | 30 giugno 2016

I'm not sure how I feel about paying what Tesla wants for a tow hitch, when they will be made after market. Is it really worth having the factory add the hitch? I am still in the mindset, that a smaller car is not designed for towing. lol

EaglesPDX | 30 giugno 2016

@darlin "It will not be able to tow 5000lbs. The car will not weigh enough for that. Simple math and engineering prove this."

Many vehicles tow more than they weigh. Ford Explorer weights 4,500 rated tow is 5,000. Pickups weighing 6400 are tow rated for 12,000. Tesla S at 4,647 could likely be rated to tow 5,000.

It has to more to do wit the drive train and structure.

Tesla 3 will likely weigh in at 4,000 so could easily tow 5,000 with AWD and air suspension, similar requirements on the Tesla X.

bb0tin | 30 giugno 2016

@EaglesPDX
Yup.
All @darlin needed to do was look up the tow rating for a few vehicles.
I do not expect him to provide his 'Simple math and engineering' either.

EaglesPDX | 1 luglio 2016

It looks like the Tesla X, the towing test case for Tesla, is performing beyond expectations based on owner experiences. Tesla has committed to a towing ability for the T3. I think the only question is the actual rating.

Tesla has made a lot out of the Tesla 3 being the "people's car" that Tesla was always intending to build to make EV's mainstream. Towing everything from boats to campers to dirt bikes is a key function of the family car. 5,000# is the sweet spot for towing.

Hopefully Tesla will aim high based on the good results with the TX. For me, boat is 4,800#, it would be perfect. I tow locally, the laugh ramp is 13 miles away. The service shop 18 miles.

Can't wait to be launching on a busy Saturday with the sleek Tesla...jaws will drop.

Hessjason | 1 luglio 2016

5k would be ideal. That was the max of my old truck (Honda Ridgeline..not a real truck haha) and that did the trick for 7 years. Would like to ditch my suv for the model 3 now.

@Hessjasson....all so right. Idea is Tesla 3 is the family car. I think Euros are even bigger on towing that in the US.

Red Sage ca us | 1 luglio 2016

One of the primary reasons I am in favor of Tesla Waypoint/Depot locations is so that every Supercharger stall could be set up as a pull through spot for travelers that may be towing. Very few Supercharger sites in malls and shopping centers allow for the side saddle type of charger setup. Most are instead of the back in variety. I am not likely to ever be towing something myself, but I recognize the importance to others.

@Red Sage ca us "One of the primary reasons I am in favor of Tesla Waypoint/Depot locations is so that every Supercharger stall could be set up as a pull through spot for travelers that may be towing."

That would be nice but always possible to just unhitch. Having a towing spot would be easier still with the Plugless charging unit. It would look like boat ramp parking lot with the extra long spaces for car and trailer and the pavement mounted charging unit that the car just pulls over.

Also, towing long distance is not going to be the EV's strong suit. The Tesla X guy towing his 4600# boat trailer said miles went from 250 to 90 and he was in flat Florida.

Be nice to see charging stations at the boat ramps or nearby. Dump the boat and drive over and charge while out boating all day.

topher | 2 luglio 2016

"Also, towing long distance is not going to be the EV's strong suit."

Towing long distance isn't any car's strong suit. I don't see how EVs suffer disproportionately.

Thank you kindly.

EaglesPDX | 2 luglio 2016

@topher "Towing long distance isn't any car's strong suit. I don't see how EV's suffer disproportionately"

Most ICE tow vehicles capable of 5,000# will have a range of 200-300 miles while the TX and TE will have 100 miles at best. Add in the 30-60 minute recharge, add in the need for a Supercharger and EV's suffer disproportionately. But many local tows are around 50 miles so it opens up a lot sales to EV's.

Unctous unduly.

Red Sage ca us | 2 luglio 2016

EaglesPDX: It is not a function of being an electric vehicle that prevents long range towing. It is a matter of not having enough energy reserve to maintain high speeds over great distances while towing. That will change with time. Do the math for how much energy is expended when burning diesel fuel to tow a given load a certain distance. Divide that by about five, and you get the capacity of available energy that the same load could be towed using an EV. When a Tesla Model P dual motor all wheel drive dually crew cab pickup truck is available with 170 kWh to 220 kWh battery pack, towing Class III loads long distances will be less than child's play.

EaglesPDX | 2 luglio 2016

@Red Sage ca us "It is not a function of being an electric vehicle that prevents long range towing. It is a matter of not having enough energy reserve to maintain high speeds over great distances while towing. '

What kills the range towing is the weight of the load, dragging 5,000# uses energy.

"That will change with time. Do the math for how much energy is expended when burning diesel fuel to tow a given load a certain distance."

But we are talking about Tesla 3 and time is up (or will be shortly). We're told about the same range as the Tesla S60D, 210 miles. Half of that is 100 miles. Upgrade to 75kWh and 249. Doing the math, half of that is 124 miles. As the Tesla X owners are showing on towing 4800# boats, the range hit was even greater than 50% and that was towing in flat Florida. Add in a load of kids and gear, AC. 100 would be a fair estimate of range for the T3 IF Tesla rates it at 5,000# tow.

bb0tin | 2 luglio 2016

Aerodynamics of the trailer can have a greater affect than the relative weight.
Lots of people need to tow for only short distances on a regular basis. For the few times they need to tow long distances, having to stop for a charge or two is not an issue. It is certainly the case for myself.
I have towed boats and trailers with cars smaller and less powerful than the Model 3.

topher | 3 luglio 2016

"Most ICE tow vehicles capable of 5,000# will have a range of 200-300 miles"

That's because they have dual 20 gallon tanks... The efficiency hit is less in an EV.

"What kills the range towing is the weight of the load, dragging 5,000# uses energy."

No. The power consumption for long hauls is overwhelmingly dominated by air drag. Weight is only a concern when slowing down. Regenerative braking FTW.

Thank you kindly.

EaglesPDX | 3 luglio 2016

@topher "Most ICE tow vehicles capable of 5,000# will have a range of 200-300 miles" That's because they have dual 20 gallon tanks... The efficiency hit is less in an EV."

About the same, you can figure roughly half the range with a vehicle rated 5,000# towing 5,000#, ICE or EV. EV's tend to lose a bit more in practice as you can see from the demonstrations by Tesla X drivers towing 4,800# boat trailer. As the Tela X owner notes in the commentary. His fully charged TX at 250 range drops to predicted range of 90 miles very quickly.

It will be interesting to see the data we get from TX owners towing. Lower weights (10% weight reduction is about 10% fuel savings, wt. has a near 1:1 ratio. Wind resistance is mostly at high speed and 25% reduction squats to 15% vs. was 1:1 ratio and wind resistance factor drops exponential with speed) of trailers will see less range impact but how much in practice is what we need to determine from the actual data.

The ICE vehicles start out with longer range so the range issue is less with them. Add to it the 30-60 minute super charging the EV would need on a long haul boat two nd the EV has big disadvantages at long haul towing.

But most trailer boat owners are short haul towers, within 50 miles, and can probably make it round trip on a charge or least make to the DQ for a get home charge on the way home.

That's why adding the towing option at 5,000# makes the Tesla the volkswagen that Tesla has stated is the role for the T3.

Unctuous unduly.

Red Sage ca us | 3 luglio 2016

I'm not likely to tow anything, ever. The people I know who are most likely to tow, will do so for hundreds or even thousands of miles. If they can tow the typical enclosed U-HAUL 'horse trailer' type of box 150 miles between Supercharger stops, they'll be fine.

Their 6'x12' enclosed trailer has a loaded maximum gross vehicle weight of 4,400 lbs. So a 5,000 lbs towing capacity would manage those just fine. Though really, it will probably be only 3,500 lbs or less for Model ☰. One size down is the 5'x10' enclosed trailer, which has a maximum capacity of 2,800 lbs.

bb0tin | 3 luglio 2016

I'm likely to tow things, lots. The people I know who are likely to tow, will do so for a few miles or very occasionally hundreds of miles.
There are many different demographics when it comes to towing. In New Zealand most towing is done by small cars, and is very common.

dave.m.mcdonough | 3 luglio 2016

I have a little trailer that I use to pick up plywood and drywall, current vehicle is an old BMW E30. I'm certain the 3 will suit my needs just fine. :)
Trailer is the way to go, way cheaper than a truck if it's just the rare occasion.

don | 4 luglio 2016

I'll be pleased if it matches the capabilities of the Outback. I have a Tundra to tow my big stuff, but I like the fact that my Outback can pull little stuff. One of the reasons I bought the Outback was that it is the best little 4cyl (light duty) tow vehicle out there IMO (in the US anyway).

The rear of the M3 looks pretty low, so keeping it out of the water when launching/loading boats may be a challenge.

While I understand that it will be heavier than it looks - I'd sure make sure my trailer bakes were working well if I were to tow anything significant. I could not imagine towing 5Klbs with it. I tow a lot. I have 4 trailers at the moment from small utility trailers to boats to 7Klbs. In my mind it is still a a small car with a short wheelbase, not a truck. I suspect it will be many years before long distance high capacity towing from EVs is commonplace, but we'll get there. However, I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised!

tfay412 | 5 luglio 2016

I would just love the opportunity to be able to tow a light utility trailer for big Home depot purchases. lol Nothing real heavy

EaglesPDX | 5 luglio 2016

@don | July 4, 2016 I'll be pleased if it matches the capabilities of the Outback."

There is an odd crossover of Subaru owners to Tesla owners with Outbacks being the "2nd car" for S owners for things like towing and long trips.

That would bode for the T3 to have a similar 3,000# tow capacity.

nkj | 22 luglio 2016

A tow hitch is a must-have feature, and I do not plan to use it for long distance towing. Bikes, construction- and garden materials and tools just are not nice to have inside the car no matter what. 50 mm ball type, please ;-) A 750 kilograms limit would do.

topher | 22 luglio 2016

The model X comes with either an accessory hitch ($200) or a towing hitch ($750 + $2,500 for air shocks).