Forums

Hot Weather Package

Hot Weather Package

So I couldn't think of what the opposite of "sub" would be so I figured that going down the road of Mortal Combat would work best to explain.

I'm sure most know the Subzero Weather Package... heated seats, steering wheel, windshield wipers, and washer nozzles. The problem for me is that I live in SoCal where the bigger concern is heat instead of cold temperatures. I didn't see any other forums that discussed this (except for a few mentioning ventilated seats) so I though I bring up the Scorpion Weather Package... cooled/ventilated seats and steering wheel along with the UV coating, from the Model X, used on all the windows to help minimize the car from heating up.

Obviously activating the A/C before getting in your car would also work, but I feel actively cooling the seats and steering wheel would effectively take the Model 3 (or any of the other Teslas for that matter) to the next level as an option.

dir | 14 luglio 2016

I would absolutely pay to upgrade my Model S seats to be (at least) ventilated.

jordanrichard | 15 luglio 2016

Don't know how they would cool the steering wheel.

PeterPlt | 15 luglio 2016

Living in Georgia, I routinely precondition my S85D about five minutes prior to getting into it. That ability is wonderful! Having ventilated/air conditioned seats would take it to the next level. Count me in!

The metal door handles can get extremely hot. It would be nice to address that challenge.

Siotisj2004 | 15 luglio 2016

What about the Pano roof shades? I live in Southern Alabama. I am super concerned about getting a sun tan while driving around.

james.nicklin | 15 luglio 2016

Living in Phoenix where I have seen 100+ as early in the year and April 1st and as late in the year as October 30th I would definitely pay for a hot weather package. It kind of sucks getting first degree burns from your seat and steering wheel.

jordanrichard | 15 luglio 2016

My hair left loooooong before I got my MS 2 years ago. No issues at all with even getting a minor sunburn. The Pano roof blocks out 100% UV rays and something like 83% of the heat.

Here is another benefit to a glass roof that rarely gets mentioned, less paint to wax....... Also whenever I was the car, it's nice and quick to use a squeegee to clear the water of the whole upper half of the car.

dave.m.mcdonough | 15 luglio 2016

If there was a fan to keep it from turning into an oven while parked, i think that would be a neat feature, but a lot of what you're saying is "fluff". AC works really well, just kick it on before getting in. It's hard to compare to functionally avoiding having the windshield wipers caked up in ice.

Hi_Tech | 15 luglio 2016

There already is an option to vent the roof and turn on the air (set the temp higher so it's only fan running, instead of A/C).

That said, I'd love to have ventilated seats! Would be great for the long drives, as well as when simply parked, etc.

Too bad my Model S85 was built before they had the Subzero Weather Package as well... one of three things I'd love to get up in north east US (other two are dual motors and auto-pilot).

CC396 | 15 luglio 2016

I agree, I think there should be a Hot Weather Package with cooled steering wheel and seats, but I also think they should simplify thing and include the Hot Weather as well as Cold Weather Package into the Premium Upgrades Package.

CC396 | 15 luglio 2016

I agree, I think there should be a Hot Weather Package with cooled steering wheel and seats, but I also think they should simplify thing and include the Hot Weather as well as Cold Weather Package into the Premium Upgrades Package.

Badbot | 15 luglio 2016

All great ideas, BUT, pencils are down !

JeffreyR | 15 luglio 2016

Get low emissive tint that's not dark on the windshield too. It's illegal in California (w/o doctor's note), but as long as it's not obnoxious CHP reportedly does not bother you. With my polarized sunglasses I can tell lots of people have coating on theirs. I find a simple windshield sunscreen helps my car a lot. I'll likely get extra tint all around for my pano roofed M≡.

I'm in San Jose, California, but get hot easily.

Justin210sa | 15 luglio 2016

Hot weather package would be very nice for me too living in south Texas. My biggest concern about the car is large glass pieces that would transmit heat into the cabin.

Special dark tint (like on the black model # prototype)
Ventilated seats (like competitors in this class)

frinvs | 15 luglio 2016

I would absolutely pay to upgrade for a hot weather package. I live in Las Vegas so you can imagine all summer long with triple digit temperatures..... I need this, I would also pay for upgrading that A/C system for it to blow harder and colder, since I just test drove a Model S here in Vegas and the A/C could be just a little better....

JeffreyR | 15 luglio 2016

@frinvs wrote, "I would also pay for upgrading that A/C system for it to blow harder and colder...."

Remember you can pre-condition your car before you get in. If it's still connected to charging you would not lose any range. Even if it's not connected, it might be worth it since LV is *really* hot. Read Doug_G's "Cold Weather" post I linked to in "The Tesla Advantage" post. I bet the same kinds of rules apply for A/C and pre-conditioning. Obviously heated seats don't apply, though maybe ventilated seats do.

topher | 18 luglio 2016

@PeterPlt
"The metal door handles can get extremely hot. It would be nice to address that challenge."

Have you tried coating them? White plasti-dip would be a simple cheap proof of concept.

Thank you kindly.

CC396 | 18 luglio 2016

@PeterPit, the handle seem to be and can be concerning, hope they will address it.

Badbot | 18 luglio 2016

I will make tiny solar shields for the handles only 99,95 for a set of 4.

cquail | 19 luglio 2016

Do not forget the cooled cup holders. The ice I use now dilutes the drink.

Badbot | 19 luglio 2016

Absolutely all the solar shields for door handles have at least 2 cup holders each.
send in your deposits now so you are ready when you configure your 3.

Badbot | 19 luglio 2016

NOTE: some HVAC connections may be needed to cool them

frinvs | 27 luglio 2016

@JeffreyR
when I went to test drive the Model S we did Pre-condition the car, actually was inside looking at the model they had in the show room while we waited for the one we were going to drive to cool down.. But like I said I would like for it to blow 20-30% more. It gets real hot here, today were expected to hit 115....