Forums

Fuse Box Diagram

Fuse Box Diagram

All, on the fuse box, there is a label that says: For more detail, refer to the User Manual. I can't find any where in the user guide that has any info about the fuses.

Also, does anyone know where the cabin filter is and all of the details about it? (Not talking about the big HEPA Biodefense...thing).

Thanks

Brian Vicars | 6 febbraio 2017

It doesn't. Tesla service departments told me the cover on the fuse box should say, Refer to the Service Manual not the User Manual, which is available for $35/ hour. Right!! What I did was systematically remove each of the fuses, one at a time, & recorded the on screen responses. Sorry I haven't yet found the regular cabin filter location.

poloX | 7 febbraio 2017

Brian Vicars,
thanks much Brian, would greatly appreciate it if you would share what you found?

Leli001 | 7 febbraio 2017

I would also appreciate any info you may have found.

Is there a secondary fuse box under the dash somewhere? That single fuse box under the frunk hood can't be for everything in these cars. My other car has a similar set of fuses/relay's under the hood and then a secondary fuse box for most of the interior electrics under the dash, just above the passenger foot well.

poloX | 7 febbraio 2017

I also need to find the regular cabin air filter too.

bhoskins | 5 marzo 2017

Can you tell me which fuse controls the windshield wipers? Mine have stopped working.

s.grot | 15 marzo 2017

@bhoskins; I've got the same issue with my wipers; did you find the fuse location was it blown; did it fix the wipers?

bhoskins | 15 marzo 2017

Tesla tech was out today and fixed the problem. It was just the fuse. It's a little gray 25A fuse located at F118. I watched carefully, wink...

Gary an Rachel | 15 marzo 2017

Cabin filter is the same as bio filter. Are you talking about the smaller carbon filter?

poloX | 16 marzo 2017

Cabin filter is NOT the same and the biodefense system HEPA filter. The HEPA in the BioD is huge! The standard cabin should be much smaller, at least 8 times smaller in area.

Gary an Rachel | 23 marzo 2017

okay, ill go with that, ill be picking up my model x from its annual service and was told the cabin filter was going to be changed, ill ask about it again.

IgnoranceBliss | 24 aprile 2017

After an unfavorable interaction with Tesla Service and Support, the following can be confirmed...

Tesla does not support the owners to have any interaction with any fuse in any Tesla model.

The OBD-II port, which does supply constant 12V power, is not designed to be used for any reason, per Tesla.

Replacing the 5 amp ODB-II fuse, located next to the accelerator pedal behind the carpet panel, is not supported by Tesla, and if requested will probably be at owners expense..

However, I also noticed the TPMS lights was on during the time the fuse was not viable, first flashing, then solid on. Upon replacing the fuse it was off and functional. So either coincidental or both on the same fuse, so that may be the way to have them replace the fuse.

I do not know any other vehicle where the users are not supported for fuse management, in fact there is even a supplied fuse tool at both locations, probably designed by the fuse box makers for all other vehicles.

Leli001 | 25 aprile 2017

so...where are the fuse boxes? one under the cover in the frunk, another under the dash somewhere?

Waldek | 25 aprile 2017

second box of fuses is just to the right of the acceleration pedal... to get to it you need to remove the carpet side panel that goes around acceleration pedal and through the molding of central console... it is like behind the tablet on the bottom... hard to get to these fuses... I had to replace my OBD (& TPMS) fuse...

Leli001 | 26 aprile 2017

Not a usual location for a fuse panel. They are put in more easily accessible areas, such as side of dash when door is open or above the passenger footwell. I guess they really, really don't want people messing around in there.

First time I heard of such secrecy around fuses.

@IB, how did your 'unfavorable interaction with Tesla Service and Support' go? phone, e-mail...? Did they just say 'no user serviceable parts' are supported or DO NOT touch that?!

eric.zucker | 27 aprile 2017

Strange.

I had a BlackVue dash cam professionally installed, and Tesla service was very helpful. They won't install any non-Tesla devices (for liability and warranty reasons, and also for a total lack of spare time), but they provided documentation of the fuse boxes out of the user manual, and recommendation as to which one to use.

Leli001 | 27 aprile 2017

Really?!
Do you recall any of the info so you can share?

rockiesview | 5 giugno 2017

Fuse boxes:
Here is a web site that shows all of the fuse boxes & what each fuse protects.
Unfortunately, it's for a 2012 Model S, but should be close to later years.
http://www.autogenius.info/tesla-model-s-2012-fuse-box-north-america-ver...

poloX | 5 giugno 2017

Thank you Rockiesview
Is there one for the model X?

Waldek | 5 giugno 2017

@eric.zucker do you mind sharing your findings? thanks in advance! I asked Tesla Service for any diagrams a few months back and haven't heard back since... :(

eric.zucker | 12 giugno 2017

OK, I'll scan the document I have.

It simply documents which fuse may be used for aftermarket accessories such as a dash cam, it's not a complete documentation of the fuse box.

eric.zucker | 12 giugno 2017
Waldek | 13 giugno 2017

@eric.zucker perfect! Thank you :)

IgnoranceBliss | 13 giugno 2017

@Leli001 - Sorry, been off the forum for a while. Initially I was just being brief, but decided I would provide the whole enchilada,,, way more than you probably wanted to know....

So I knew exactly why I blew the fuse, After I tested all of the fuses in the fusebox by the Frunk, which caused many error messages without even pulling them, I presume from testing for 12V against ground, so essentially caused a low-voltage short.

After rebooting every way I knew how, all messages went away except for the TPMS, which I thought was just re-acquiring the signal from the tire sensors.

So I called the Corporate Tech Support, but like usual they were clueless, so they connected me to the Dallas Service Center.

I was honest and explained I blew the OBD fuse (still not realizing it was also the TPMS fuse) and asked for some support to resolve.

The girl put me on hold, and then reported that the tech said "the OBD port is not designed to charge a cell phone or for any purpose".... silence....

Then I said "all I really need to know is where the fuse box was located, so I could change the fuse myself. I already went through the fuses by the frunk".... On hold again, she basically repeated exactly what she said the first time...

"So I cannot get any support just to find out where the fuse box was located, do I have to bring my car in for service"

Again..."The tech said the OBD......"... I was essentially told by the girl that nothing was to be done, since the OBD port..." ....I was sooo pissed off, never had this type of treatment by any dealership service. Realizing the next words out of my mouth would do nothing but possibly make the girl cry... I hung up.

Fortunately the internet revealed info about a fusebox to the left of the passenger footwell, then I realized that was for a Model S, then another post for Model X said to the right of the driver's footwell....

So I tore the right side of the footwell apart, carefully but over an hour just to figure out what comes apart next...Ta Da... a secret fusebox complete with a provided fuse puller.

http://imgurDOTcom/63IIzKy

I figured it was a low amp fuse, so first tested the 5, 7.5, and 10 amp fuses I could see.... all good.

Then I realized there were some fuses hidden behind either a vertical bar or the "gas" pedal (senior moment), so I crammed my head hard against the brake pedal, which of course slammed the door against my legs.... Ta Da... more fuses, but almost impossible to access and visualize at the same time.

http://imgurDOTcom/JbVLyXL

Sure enough, there was a 5 amp fuse at the very bottom, the worst of the worst locations. So using a mirror, my cell phone camera in selfie mode, and the provided fuse puller.... Ta Da TA Da... a blown fuse.. but the smallest fuse I have ever seen.

So a trip to AutoZone to find the correct size, ended up being either a mini or micro fuse, but only available in an assorted packet of 5, 7.5, 10, and 15 Amps.

If it sounded like pulling it out was difficult... HA... simple compared to putting it back in....

So there you have it, blow by blow, and only after replacing it did the TPMS indicator immediately go away, but still not sure if TPMS was also on that circuit, but later confirmed it was by another owner with the exact same situation that benefited by my posting on another forum.

So then I realized the while the Tech was just being a obstinate Jackass, hiding behind the girl and not getting on the phone with me, he also was not smart enough to realize that my TPMS system was also not working...

So the morale of the story.... next time the OBD port blows and you don't want to spend hours in frustration like I did, just LIE, and say your TPMS light is on... and never admit you ever used your OBD port...

Perhaps a bad day for the Tech, or maybe the way they are trained to not offer support for anything but simple reboots and washer fluid fills, but that was just pathetic customer support.

Since I have had mostly positive interactions there, I decided to let this one go.

IgnoranceBliss | 13 giugno 2017

@eric.zucker - Thanks... but where were you when I need this??? I could have easily found the hidden fuse box, but still would have struggled to identify and replace the OBD/TPMS fuse.

Also, which user manual did this come from, certainly not from a current one.

Still wish they provided more fuse box info, but fully understand the damage that an untrained person can do by messing with fuses.. all those error warnings I generated, I was emotionally preparing for the "tow" and possible charge for it... would have used my AAA I guess.

eric.zucker | 14 giugno 2017

I was indeed hesitating to post this.

When I got the car last August, I asked the Service center if they would install my BlackVue dash cam in my X, and they wouldn't. No spare time, and the company policy won't let them install third party hardware in the car for liability reasons. So be it.

Nonetheless, the service technician was most helpful and gave me a printed copy of this document so I could do it myself or have it done. Finally I chose to have it installed by a professional who routinely works on high end vehicles, and he did a very nice job. He also said the car was extremely well designed.

In the end, this document doesn't reveal much, and it's AP HW1 cars, so new ones may be different.

MasterT | 14 giugno 2017

eric.zucker and IgnoranceBliss - thank you for your posts and information! Very helpful

Leli001 | 14 giugno 2017

@IB, thanks for that right up, very helpful! Unfortunately, your links don't work but I can imagine where it is (along with @eric's document) and how difficult it is to even get to.

@eric, that document with the spare power for accessories is helpful and good to know that it is switched.

First car that I have had where it does not list fuse locations and descriptions in the manual. These cars are a fun, albeit frustrating, learning process.

I installed my dashcam a few months ago and just used the designated connector for a trailer brake controller located in the driver's door jam, under the dash. Although it is constantly on, it has worked like a charm. I may install a second dashcam and will use your switched spare wire connection from your write up.

IgnoranceBliss | 15 giugno 2017

@Leli001 - This forum does not allow some websites, as when trying to submit you get a message...

"Your submission has triggered the spam filter and will not be accepted. If you feel this is in error, please report that you are blocked."

So you need to copy the link and replace the "DOT" with a period

mathwhiz | 15 giugno 2017

Tiny parts like this (replaced fuse) are, in tech-parlance, called, "Aw Jeez" parts... Which is what you exclaim when the part flips out of your grasp, to places unknown... This all started with the infamous "Aw Jeez" springs in teletypes and such mechanisms. '-)

Leli001 | 15 giugno 2017

Right you are @IB, didn't look closely at the link to see the DOT.

That definitely looks like a PITA to get to!

Gwgan | 16 giugno 2017

Thanks for the document, that willl be a big help for my home dash cam installation. I am also seeking switched 12V on the rear hatch. In the wire bundle on the passenger side there is one thick wire red with green stripe, a black wire, and a bunch of thin wires (lights, speakers). I'm hoping the striped wire is power to the spoiler but looking for some assurance before splicing in.

andrie | 5 aprile 2018

Hello everybody! I have problem with driver's seat heater. I found the diagram here http://imgvehicle.com/tesla/model-s-europe/fuse-box (I have EU version). So I replaced damaged fuse (no. 15 on the diagram "Fuse Box 1"), but heater is still not working. I used exatyly same fuse as damaged. Any ideas?

TeslaTap.com | 6 aprile 2018

@andrie - Did the new fuse blow too? It may be a short in the seat heater itself, the controller, or less likely the wiring harness. More investigation will be necessary to isolate the problem.

gjergjgjergji | 9 settembre 2019

What is the % of battery discharge on Tesla model 3 with Sentry mode on for 24 hours.

jimglas | 9 settembre 2019

2 mph in my experience
% of battery depends upon the size of your battery