Forums

Disappointed for the first time ever with the Model 3

Disappointed for the first time ever with the Model 3

Try to put all your defensive comments aside and her me out. This is meant to raise valid concerns, not to downplay Tesla or the Model 3 in any capacity.

I did not expect anything fancy and luxurious with this car. I was never basing my expectation off the S and the X. I'm well aware that they are totally different segments. My main issue is not the lack of an HUD. I could care less if there was one. I've had heated debates over the recent news and the confirmations that Elon provided in his Twitter storm.
Here's how I feel and hopefully this resonates with some of you. I love the car, I think it's absolutely gorgeous on the exterior and Tesla delivered way more than what I was expecting on that front. So far so good. Interior... I like it. It's simple, clean and stylish. That's how it should be. We saw a glimpse of an unfinished interior in the 1st unveil. I took with with a grain of salt (assuming improvements will be made and it will be developed into a more polished version). Now I am lead to believe based on what Elon recently said that they're keeping that one screen and that's it. Ok.... It's been a year! A full year. If you're not introducing more functionality to the interior, then what did you do for a whole year? Again, my issue is not the lack of an HUD or a toaster or a butler in the car. Fancy technology is a selling point and prerogative for the S and the X. However, I think a bare dash with a 15" iPad" is lackluster and not functional. Here's why:
- Where am I looking for my proximity sensor information?
- Where am I looking for my energy usage
- If everything is handled from that center display. what happens if it malfunctions. I'm blind ?
- Basic information that I need to glance at should be in front of my face not off to the side, no ?
- You're catering a car to a fully-autonomous type of drive which as much as I appreciate, I don't necessarily want forced on me. I love driving and will still want to manually drive far into the future even if we switch to fully autonomous cars sooner rather than later.

Again, my only frustration and disappointment with this car so far has been the overly simplistic interior. I love simple and and minimalist anything. In this case though, this feels like cutting corners to the point where functionality is impacted. I know the car has to be kept affordable, but that does not have to equal cheap.
I hope there's still tricks up Elon's sleeve and the final version delivers something that makes me put my foot in my mouth. I've still kept the reservation cause it's a dumb thing to cancel based off of a couple of tweets.
If you're gonna try and sell me on the idea of a sole center display, you can't. If you're gonna fire back with a smart comment you can keep it to yourself. I'm not looking for die-hard Tesla groupies that will love anything that rolls of the production line. I think improvement comes from feedback like this and decisions have to be challenged in order for that car to become the best possible version of itself.

akgolf | 28 marzo 2017

If it stays as is you'll probably be getting your info from the display in the center of the car, just like my wife's Toyota Prius V and I'm fine with that. If it's not for you and they don't change it, then this car isn't for you.

I would prefer a HUD because well it's cool and I'm a techie, but I can live without it.

Maybe some of the owners on this forum can chime in, but I thought I read that the final interior design of the Model S wasn't revealed until just before it was time to order.

Magic 8 Ball | 28 marzo 2017

You can always take it to an aftermarket accessory shop and have them cover the seats in paisley if you want.

How many more of these whiny diatribes are we going have to endure on this forum?

KP in NPT | 28 marzo 2017

Fine to vent - and you've acknowledged that you haven't seen the final interior and there might be tricks up their sleeves.

That said I agree with your skepticism re the single display - I was on the HUD bandwagon (and am not convinced we got a firm denial on that) - but I guess I believe that whatever the end product is, it will be well thought out and user friendly. So...change is hard, and don't assume that a single center screen will be a disaster - it might just take some getting used to but actually be better.

weluvm3 | 28 marzo 2017

I don't think it will ship with just the center screen. That would be acceptable if full auto-pilot was 100% and included with every car shipped. It won't be (on both counts.)

Many people will certainly settle for a single display in the central console, either because they genuinely liked it or liked the overall package enough to overlook it (I am in the latter group--hate the idea, think the "ipad" shown at launch is ugly and impractical, but I'll learn to live with it if I have to.)

But, if enough of those same people get into accidents due, even in part, because they took their eyes off the road, the lawyers will start circling like sharks with blood in the water. 99% of the people reading this right now feel that would be 100% unfair (myself included), but that's not the world we live in. Especially in California.

So, if I were Tesla, I would think very carefully about releasing a car without any "eyes forward" display at all. No matter how cool it looks, and how much money or space it saves, it really isn't worth the potential risk of liability.

akgolf | 28 marzo 2017

Since we already know that other cars just have a center display, are they involved in more accidents? Are lawyers circling them to have the displays changed?

I think it just comes down to personal choice and not everyone will like it.

SamO | 28 marzo 2017

I agree with OP and KP . . . no HUD . . .YET.

Soon . . . maybe

finman100 | 28 marzo 2017

People contradict themselves all the time:

"Interior... I like it. It's simple, clean and stylish. That's how it should be."

"my only frustration and disappointment with this car so far has been the overly simplistic interior. I love simple and and minimalist anything"

Really?

weluvm3 | 28 marzo 2017

Anyway, hopefully the display will look better than the prototype. Like I said, I can learn to live with it. But it wouldn't be my first choice. I sincerely think it looks ugly and, yes, I'd prefer having speedometer readings in front of me rather than off to the side. In fact, I'd prefer to have more information in my line of sight rather than less. So, it's hard for me to fathom how this display configuration would be an improvement for me...

I guess when I can finally get my hands on one to test drive, it will be more clear one way or the other.

markr7 | 28 marzo 2017

Everyone seems to love speculating what the M3 will have / won't have.
Some people really enjoy bashing features the car won't have, even before the company making the car has said what it will have.
Sometime around July (guessing) we should know what features the car will have; At that time yo can choose to cancel your order, & buy a Model S / X or a Prius.
Until then, why waste energy crying about the car missing a center display, a HUD, or whatever else is on YOUR wish list.

El Mirio | 28 marzo 2017

I think Elon is messing with us in regards to final interior, there will be something which makes sense, If he says only one screen, would this below be considered one screen?

http://www.larevueautomobile.com/images/Renault/TREZOR/Interieur/Renault...

bmalloy0 | 28 marzo 2017

My only complaint with the interior is the screen. Why isn't it flush/incorporated with the rest of the dash? The whol rest of the interior screams (in a good way, in my opinion) sleek and simple. Then the screen is there, hanging out, and seemingly very out of place.

This is by no means a deal-breaker, I've wanted a Tesla for ten+ years at this point. It just seems like something they overlooked. I can't imagine imtegrating it would have been more expensive, or at the very least not notably more expensive.

Rocky_H | 28 marzo 2017

He fires a shot of complaint across the bow, but pre-announces that he doesn't want to hear any responses that disagree with him.

Have fun over there.

pavel | 28 marzo 2017

@KP in NPT
Totally !!! I'm still hopeful and am thinking that the interior has been kept under wraps because there is some major improvement that will consolidate everything. There is literally nothing I would change about this car aside from the display.

@El Mirio
I was also thinking about something like the Renault concept and I think that would be amazing to implement in the 3. Don't know how doable it is though.

A lot of people keep referring to the Mini Cooper and the Prius. The Mini has a huge dedicated dial in the center and the Prius still has a secondary display at eye level that provides a lot of info. Both look worse stylistically in my opinion but win from a functionality perspective.
I'm solely going from the experience driving and S - there is a lot of information the car provides that needs to be in front of you.

dsvick | 28 marzo 2017

@pavel - " We saw a glimpse of an unfinished interior in the 1st unveil. I took with with a grain of salt (assuming improvements will be made and it will be developed into a more polished version). Now I am lead to believe based on what Elon recently said that they're keeping that one screen and that's it. Ok.... It's been a year! A full year. If you're not introducing more functionality to the interior, then what did you do for a whole year?"

IIRC, in he first reveal a couple of the drivers are quoted as saying that it would only have the one screen and that the interior wouldn't change much. Why would you, or anyone else, assume there was going to be any significant change? I know Elon said "spaceship" when referring to the steering controls so everyone started thinking there must be more coming. Maybe there is, but maybe there isn't - I don't think there has ever been anything said to give sufficient reason to think there would be major changes. You can certainly be disappointed but it should be with your own inflated expectations not with Tesla.

As for what they've been doing for a year, there are quite a few things that go into designing and building a car, I'm sure they've been busy.

mos6507 | 28 marzo 2017

That Renault dash is super-sexy. I'd pay a good extra couple grand to have a dash like that in the 3 as an option.

El Mirio | 28 marzo 2017

looking at the sketch showing model 3 interior
http://cdn.bgr.com/2016/04/tesla-model-3-sketch.jpg?quality=98&strip=all...

and looking at space x Dragon 5 space ship interior
https://a.fastcompany.net/multisite_files/fastcompany/imagecache/inline-...

one could argue the interior depicted in the sketch looks already spaceship like.

PV_Dave @US-PA | 28 marzo 2017

I think the "designed for autonomy" and the question as to how often you look at the dash in a taxi is a total cop-out.

Full autonomy, where you can treat it like a cab, is an extra cost option not likely to be ready from a technology or regulatory perspective when most current reservation holders start taking delivery. Because it's an extra cost option, and the car still has to be very good without it. And lot of people, myself included, actually enjoy driving and want to continue to enjoy it when we chose to do so, even if we opt for full autonomy and it becomes available.

I am hoping that a HUD is an OPTION on the car. I'm fine with it not being standard, but there should be an option available for those who value the dashboard, whether that's a second dash display similar to an S/X, or a HUD. Either one would be fine, and make me pay for it, but it's going to be a hard sell for a lot of drivers to decide they're OK with neither.

Personally, without a HUD option, I'd probably go from the current "order before a test drive car is available" to the "try it and then decide" stance. Combined with the delay on AWD, my early place in line is starting to look meaningless, as is my possibility of getting the tax credit. Pretty disappointing.

tstolz | 28 marzo 2017

We grow accustomed to a look. Some manufacturers focus on form over function ... Tesla seems to focus on function with consideration of form. I'm still mixed on this. There is a bit of boy-racer in me that likes fighter-jet style cockpits ... but 'reasonable me' understands there is very little value to be gained in a centre HUD or screen ... nevertheless I'd likely order it if it were an option. Projecting navigation when not self driving would be nice.

hsuru4u | 28 marzo 2017

you guys expect way too much for the pricepoint vs the models s or x. you want it all and for 37-47k...aint gonna happen. The one display is a simple cost effective way to keep it down in price for sure. Personally i dont want my passenger messing with the screen while i drive. As the pilot i am in control and need to see everything to drive. I can see someone kid messing up the screen and even breaking it as its not flush mounted but sticks out like an ipad on a wall mount.

No way it will drive as sweet as an s or x or feel as high end as them. I mean to do that would be stupid for elon to do as it would hurt sales of the s and x. I think it will be cool but not that cool if you know what i mean. He risks killing model s sales more then model x sales if he makes it "too cool". Most people are getting the 3 model because its cheap er then the s model period. To say" i dont need a big sedan, my garage is too small ect is just silly. Its about the price for 99% of the model 3 buyers. Bmw has a 3 series for those who want a beemer and want to spend less then a 5 series or a 7 series...audi does the same thing...as does mercedes. They all do it based on pricepoint. Thats just how it is and it makes the ability for more people to get into luxury cars/ev's suv's.. amd even sports cars.

The lower end models just wont/cant and dont have the perks of the higher end models. Making the lower end model the same or better then the higher end model will not only detract from higher end sales but also give the company a bad rep.

SoFlaModel3 | 28 marzo 2017

Personally I like simple things so the interior works very well for me. What I'm not 100% sold on is the screen not being embedded in the dash versus being a fixture extending from the dash. That's not my favorite look as it looks unfinished like it's an afterthought. See Mercedes CLA.

COrich | 28 marzo 2017

So far nothing we have heard or seen is deviating much from the first reveal last year. Yes, a slight modification to the front and supposedly a slightly different trunk setup. So if you liked that, then there probably is nothing to disappoint you now. If you expected any significant changes from that first reveal then yes, you probably will be disappointed (but you shouldn't be). There might be a bit more polish to the interior, but don't expect much. Remember, this is the Tesla for those who don't want to spend $75K or more for a Tesla. You are getting the technology and range that was promised.

What we haven't been able to experience yet is the feel of the interior. That will have to wait for them to show up in the Tesla stores. I have always been a bit skeptical of the single display, but I'm still waiting for the chance to see it in action before a make my final decision.

Haggy | 28 marzo 2017

We had the first reveal. Nothing has changed since then. We haven't had the next reveal. Something will change. We don't know what yet. People may be disappointed, but it's not because of what Tesla did. It's because of the lack of news. Presumably, all of us will wait for the final reveal before buying the car. It may not be possible to buy it before that happens.

The one thing we do know is that Elon Musk said "you won't care" when asked about the lack of a second screen. That's quite a bold claim considering threads like this, so he must have some reason to think that whatever concerns we have now will no longer be relevant after the reveal.

+1 Haggy.

Or, it could just be that they have been driving the car, using the interface, and know that it will be great, even though different. I am sure EM was informed about all the HUD speculation. If the final product doesn't have something compelling (or, more compelling than just a center screen) then I think he made a big mistake letting this speculation run rampant for the past year.

attica04 | 28 marzo 2017

It seems to me the main complaint about a lack of a HUD is you would need to look at the centre console therefore taking your eyes off the road? I have tested with my car over the last two days the time I took to look at my NAV map in the centre of my car and the road, the speedo on my dash in front of me and the road and see no difference about 1-2 seconds each time for either in front of me or to the side. So if the speed is the corner of the centre console nearest to the driver, I think there is no issue at all. So for me I have satisfied myself that the lack of HUD will not change my order. I have not seen any EV in the price range that is better looking, backed by a company I would want to associate with (GM or Ford do not rate at all) that is run by a business person who I think has the planet, people and technology in mind and is shaking things up.

tstolz | 28 marzo 2017

I did the same test as attica and no difference in time or perception at all. Also, the info in the centre screen is what ... a clock .. speed indicators .. music selection ... at times nav ... not a big deal to have the a few inches over to the right.

john | 28 marzo 2017

I'm a pilot. You can adjust to scanning instruments in different locations pretty quickly. After some adjustment, it's automatic and subconscious. Your brain's better at that than you think.
A big screen can be a great thing.
How well will it be done?

John, do you fly commercial? I'm a FA and have had many good conversations with my pilots about our Model S. :)

JeffreyR | 28 marzo 2017

The reason that they may have extruded the screen from the dash was because it was a new version. Some have speculated that the video Elon posted showed a vertical screen (instead of reveal's landscape). I'm not convinced, but would be okay either way. The other reason the screen may have popped out of the dash was because they pushed the front of the car so far forward to save space. So if it did not pop out a little it would be harder to use.

We'll see....

+1 Jeffrey. I have watched that video and tried to figure out if it really is horizontal or not. At first I thought they'd flipped it to be like the MS because it looked narrower - but it could just be the angle and not being able to see the bottom. Yep, we'll see...

Someone on TMC said if they'd kept it horizontal and integrated it, to keep it close enough to use easily, it would have created a giant mound in the dash, like a window AC sticking out of it. ha.

SoFlaModel3 | 28 marzo 2017

I think the speedo argument is a stretch at best. Whether you are looking down or down and slightly to the right is irrelevant. If anything it's easier to train your eyes to look to one place for your digital speed versus looking at an analog gauge and finding your speed within a range. Besides Joe often are you actually checking your speed?

Now I've said this next part before and been told I'm a bad driver, but to me the biggest loss in a single center screen is moving away from what is already what I would call a weak "blind spot detection" when driving the car not in autopilot.

Not a deal breaker -- I can't wait to get my car!

david.jones24 | 28 marzo 2017

To be fair Sofla,

The AP hardware safety features that come with every model 3 safeguards against the collisions anyway.

Madatgascar | 28 marzo 2017

My guess is that Elon planned for something really ambitious and different, and spaceship-like, and the reason the display in the reveal looked tacked-on is because it was a make-do to avoid showing the secret sauce. The real system had not been validated or they did not want to show competitors yet. As production approaches, maybe they do not have approvals in place for the "spaceship" system, or it relies on FSD functionality that is not there yet, or for whatever reason had to abort to plan B - as happened with side rear-view cameras or folding second row seats in Model X. Now he is in the mode of tempering expectations.

johnse | 28 marzo 2017

@bmalloy0 "Why isn't it flush...?"
Putting it flush would either put it too far away for easy reach, or would require the dash to be brought further into the cabin. As it, the dash is forward and low, improving sight lines and giving more sense of space to the front passengers.

I concur with @john. As a pilot (private Multi-engine, Instrument rated, but not current in my case) the need to scan instruments *when flying on instruments* is extremely important. When flying VFR (visual flight rules) it is extremely important to get your eyes outside of the cockpit and scan the *sky* where there are things you could run into. Instructors will tell you that the students who have lots of "experience" in flight sim programs are great at interpreting the instruments--but getting them to look outside and actually fly the plane--that's the challenge.

What do you actually need to see while you are driving? And remember that any time you are looking at your dashboard, you're not looking at the road and the obstacles there.

In most instrument-rich ICE cars you tend to have:
* speedometer
* tachometer
* oil pressure
* engine temp
* Alt/Battery voltage
* gas gauge
* Odometer
* clock
* Automatic Transmission Gear Selector

In addition, you may have (or have added)
* carb vacuum (or some equivalent showing efficiency)
* Alternator current
* fuel pressure
* Turbo/supercharger boost

In many non-performance cars, all you'll have is:
* speedometer
* gas gauge
* Odometer
* Automatic Transmission Gear Selector
* Anything else shown with idiot lights.

In an EV, most of those things are meaningless. Most of the rest that have an analogue in the EV don't need to be scanned in real time. The only thing you really need to scan is:
* speedometer

Sure, many of us are geeks who want to see moment-to-moment energy usage, want to see exactly how much the climate systems are consuming, etc.

But there is no need for a Tach, oil pressure, temp, etc. If this is not a race car, there is no need to see how close to the maximum current draw you are at the moment. Shifting between "gears" is done at a standstill since there aren't multiple "speeds". Odometer and overall battery charge (fuel gauge equivalent) are checked occasionally.

The information about "what the autopilot sees" is an aspect of the autopilot being a driver assistance feature that is still in beta. As an operator of the autopilot, it is important to be able to confirm that what it is basing its driving on matches what your eyes see outside the window. In my mind, this is a very bad User Experience. In pilot terms, this increases the workload. We're now needing to interpret two depictions of the driving environment--that we see with our own eyes, and that displayed by the computer.

When you are changing lanes, you should be looking out the window and/or in the mirror on that side. Having a warning indicator in the mirror and perhaps even visible when looking back when you are moving in an unsafe manner, and possibly giving a haptic feedback in the steering wheel would be a much more effective way of preventing a collision.

All of that flash, all that extra information, is visual clutter that does not improve the safety or efficacy of driving. It may be fun, and it may keep your mind engaged, but it actually detracts from you being aware of your surroundings.

mos6507 | 29 marzo 2017

"The one display is a simple cost effective way to keep it down in price for sure."

So is shipping it with one motor instead of dual, but then Tesla offers the 2nd motor as an option. Why not just appease those who want the secondary display by making it an option?

dd.micsol | 29 marzo 2017

Mos-why not make a Hud into the dashboard an option? you get best of both worlds with that. Yes I agree which is why I just bought another s 100d. I want range-it's number one on my list-got no other options at all. 100g's. Early May delivery. like my p90d I'll be putting an after market HUD in it. Personally I like exploride.

KP in NPT | 29 marzo 2017

yes dd. We know you bought a 100d. You've posted it in multiple threads now.

mail | 29 marzo 2017

Well @OP: it's easy. If you don't like it in the end, then don't buy it. I hear you whining before you even know what it will look like.

I'm sure they'll keep it simple and stupid and cost effective. I don't really care if it's a single display, or if it's a 14'' or a 16''.

Just make sure it does it's 200 miles on a charge, it's reliable and not too expensive. I don't need many oprions, or all wheel drive etc.

If anyone wants more, there's always the option for an S or X ;-)

4fishtankz | 29 marzo 2017

My feelings exactly Pavel, I'm in wait and see mode. Hoping we get to see one in person before configuring.

4fishtankz | 29 marzo 2017

Just thinking, if they make center display available at dealerships with the proposed functions it will have so that we can play with it and see how it functions, the Apps and everything, it would take a lot of anxiety out and help people make up their minds, especially since it's controlling the whole car and we have to solely interact with the car through it.

EaglesPDX | 29 marzo 2017

"I would think very carefully about releasing a car without any "eyes forward" display at all. No matter how cool it looks, and how much money or space it saves, it really isn't worth the potential risk of liability."

That is the real key. As long as it fits legal NHSTA requirements Tesla would be OK but I think that will require speed, signals and other essentials being "eyes forward".

The Prius screen which is in the center but high up requiring little eye movement and keeping the road in view would be an example of what is likely legal minimum.

It would be hard for the Tesla screen in the prototype to meet that standard.

bmalloy0 | 29 marzo 2017

johnse | March 28, 2017
@bmalloy0 "Why isn't it flush...?"
Putting it flush would either put it too far away for easy reach, or would require the dash to be brought further into the cabin. As it, the dash is forward and low, improving sight lines and giving more sense of space to the front passengers.

------------

Thanks for the explanation!

derek.philip | 29 marzo 2017

hsuru4u said "you guys expect way too much for the pricepoint vs the models s or x. you want it all and for 37-47k...aint gonna happen"

My current car is a third of the price of this vehicle and has a speedo in front of the driver besides the usual hifi etc.

efodix | 29 marzo 2017

Personally, I think the interior from the reveal really sucks. I'm pretty sure they'll change it one way or another for the production version. That being said, I'll still buy the car even if the interior would stay the same because all the other things outweigh it. But it is a downer if you ask me.

hsuru4u | 29 marzo 2017

well i think the one screen looks futuristic for sure.

Carl Thompson | 29 marzo 2017

efodix:
"Personally, I think the interior from the reveal really sucks."

I guess it's a matter of taste. I really like the elegant simplicity of it.

Carl

pavel | 29 marzo 2017

I would love the display flush too. Not because it looks bad now, but because I am 6'4 and my knees sit high no matter how far back the seat is pushed unless I'm in a large SUV. I don't wanna roll up to the service center with the display detached one day :)
they could still have it raised like Mazda and certain BMWs have their center display protruding up from the dash.

topher | 29 marzo 2017

"they could still have it raised like Mazda and certain BMWs have their center display protruding up from the dash."

It looks pretty high up to me. Top of the steering wheel (roughly).

Thank you kindly.

hsuru4u | 29 marzo 2017

There were seriously people who thought the $35k version would somehow be better than an S?

Sure, we'll just cut the price in LESS THAN HALF and yet still magically cram more crap into it. Uh-huh. Totally doable.

*facepalm*

Tiebreaker | 29 marzo 2017

OP: Dissapointed with an non-existing product? Have you sen the version that is for sale? Why speculate? Wait for the final product, then buy or not.

jan.stubbs | 17 ottobre 2017

All I want them to be able to do is deliver the dam car talk talk talk and no I don't want another model S and if I buy one it will have to be purchased on a dealer lot just like my past two I have purchased for pricing reasons.
This waiting game really sucks

Pages