Forums

Light side of self driving

Light side of self driving

Safety. Better use of road capacity.

Accessibility (old and handicapped people get mobility).

Others who feel self driving is bad, feel free to disagree.

akgolf | 7 aprile 2017

All sounds good to me.

I'm not quite at the accessibility point yet, but I'm sure that will come into play at some point.

Red Sage ca us | 7 aprile 2017

Thanks for this. I was afraid to even click on that other thread. So I didn't. :D

SamO | 7 aprile 2017

Every car ride is comprised of three costs:

1. Cost of fuel 40%
2. Cost of driver 40%
3. Cost of car 20%

Tesla fuel costs are 20% or less the cost of gasoline.

Self Driving Cars won't required meatbag drivers, $0 cost.

Car costs are comparable for EV and ICE.

Goodbye human drivers and most car companies.

Hello 35K fewer driving deaths. Hello $300 billion dollars per year in avoided damages. Hello $700 billion in productivity gains.

burdogg | 7 aprile 2017

There is a cost though too - I am not against self-driving, in fact, purchased it for my X and can't wait to get it to where I can take a trip and snooze a little on the trip. It will make traveling so much easier to do, and even could be done at night to save time (as I sleep in the car while it drives)

But... That could displace a lot of jobs. What if you were a truck driver - how would you feel. I am seriously saying, put yourself in their shoes - how would you feel. I understand the upside too and not saying we shouldn't do it, but you can see why opposition exists. And truthfully, it would be interesting to see if they can ever get it to truly work without any human being present. I just think the world and conditions, etc... are so complex, that this is not as easy as it gets touted to be. Pot holes, construction workers and other things that I don't care to spend my time coming up with :)

akgolf | 7 aprile 2017

That's why we'll need a purge:)

SamO | 7 aprile 2017

@burdogg,

I agree it will be disruptive, but it wouldn't have to be. Basic income would allow a transition without akgolf's purge. A carbon tax with rebate would go further.

akgolf knows about the oil dividend ;-)

akgolf | 7 aprile 2017

Alas SamO, we got our last dividend last year:(

Garyeop | 7 aprile 2017

I have a handicapped family member. It won't be a Tesla, but putting 20 extra wheelchair accessible vehicles on the road at long hours would make their life much easier. And for this, it would take no jobs. No one wants it. No government wants to pay someone to take it. It is a pure win other than the money to buy and maintain the vehicle.

Now, if we could only build cars in America and give those displaced drivers a job. Hmmm. Maybe making Tesla's?

burdogg | 7 aprile 2017

I think there will be some amazing uses of self-driving - just think of Elderly in general who can't drive or maybe we should say, shouldn't be driving :) Much easier to get them to their, (plug in here) dentist, or for others on here - eye doctor, or physicians, or just to play bridge with their friends :)

Interesting times we are in. Disruptive too - sometimes good, sometimes not, but hopefully we can continue to learn to adapt and evolve and make our selves useful, last thing we need is a bunch of lazy people :)

El Mirio | 7 aprile 2017

Automation will have an impact on jobs, below is an interesting read comparing Oakland Port Terminal to Rotterdam's heavily automated Terminal.

Pushing automation further back in the logistics chain, you possibly could have self driving trucks show up "just in time" for loading reducing handling even further and potentially eliminating buffer zones.

https://www.flexport.com/blog/port-automation-oakland-rotterdam/

El Mirio | 7 aprile 2017

In case anyone interested,

In a fenced-in area of APM Terminals’ Maasvlakte II (MVII) container terminal in Rotterdam, two massive robots are moving containers around with no people anywhere in sight.
unquote

http://www.maersk.com/en/markets/2014/august/maasvlakte-ii-coming-alive

Carl Thompson | 7 aprile 2017

Garyeop:
"I have a handicapped family member. It won't be a Tesla, but putting 20 extra wheelchair accessible vehicles on the road at long hours would make their life much easier. And for this, it would take no jobs. No one wants it. No government wants to pay someone to take it. It is a pure win other than the money to buy and maintain the vehicle."

There are companies that do this and so drivers would lose jobs. Here's an example from my area:

- https://www.eastbayparatransit.org/

Carl

janendan | 8 aprile 2017

Does the AP learn from our's or it's own mistakes? Because if it's trying to learn how to drive by watching us kill 40000 people a year we are in serious trouble.

SamO | 8 aprile 2017

@janendan,

Its actually 1.25 million people who die, worldwide.

http://www.who.int/gho/road_safety/mortality/en/

topher | 8 aprile 2017

"Because if it's trying to learn how to drive by watching us kill 40000 people a year we are in serious trouble."

It is capable of accepting NEGATIVE reinforcement.

Thank you kindly.

CraigW | 8 aprile 2017

I cheer the reduction in insurance premiums, though this will cost some jobs also. As a matter of fact, I cheer the reduction in number of insurance companies/profits.

msmith55 | 19 maggio 2017

I would like to see enough intelligence in the car or truck so it can't be used as a weapon to deliberately kill people! That should save 300 or more lives/year!