Forums

Goodyear 19 Inch tires on new Tesla S 100D

Goodyear 19 Inch tires on new Tesla S 100D

In March, I purchased a 2017 Tesla Model S 100D with 19 inch wheels, and OEM tires from Goodyear.

I traded in a 2014 P85 with 19 inch wheels with Michelin tires. The car was so silent that my wife had congratulated my on my insightful purchase in 2014. However, when we got on the highway with the new 2017 (March) 100D, she asked me to go back to the dealer in Needham, MA and ask for my old car back. The tires on the 19 inch wheel were unacceptable. They caused so much road noise that I couldn't carry on a normal conversation with my wife while driving. I measured the road noise at 74-80 decibels at 65 mph.

I called the dealer within a week and asked to buy my old Tesla and trade in the new one. My request wasn't taken seriously, and I noticed that my old Tesla was no longer in inventory.

I read on the forum that I should try decreasing the tire pressure. I decreased it to 44psi and then to 43psi. I got a more muffled sound, but still couldn't converse. I read further on the forum that the Goodyears were new to the model S, and that they used a foam insulation to "reduce" road noise.

Service in Watertown, MA sold me a new set of Michelin MMX tires and the Tesla is great again, with road noise acceptable, 65 decibels at 65mp, and my wife not pressuring me about being stupid for trading in a great car for a lousy car.

Whew.

I have no idea why Tesla started equipping new model S with Goodyear tires, but apparently the person that did the road tests wasn't very discerning or critical. Tesla should remedy this problem before their sales start dropping.

Ken Schwaber

Ddowns2050 | 1 giugno 2017

I had a 2015 S85D with Michelins. I now have a new S100D with the goodyears and mine were just as quite as the michelins. In fact I put almost 70 K miles on the last car and 2 sets of michelins. Both set of michelins started cupping at a little over 30K miles and were so loud it was ridiculous. The michelins still had plenty of tread and wore very evenly but sounded like a lumber wagon so I changed them hoping the second set would do better. They did not. So I am wondering how the goodyears will do. But so far they have been silky smooth and quite and I have put about 6500 miles on them so far.

I also had a 2013 S85, but it was rear wheel drive and the backs wore before the fronts. They were goodyears and I was happy with them. They didn't cup but did get louder as they got older. I went through 2 sets of goodyears on that car. I thought the michelins would be better, I know they were a lot more expensive, but in my opinion the goodyears were just as quite and although they didn't seem to wear quite as well as far as tread depth I had to change the michelins about as quick because of the cupping.

mm7nyy | 1 giugno 2017

I Can't agree, I have a 2016 90D with Goodyear 19" and its the quietest ride and tires I have ever owned.

Bill_75D | 1 giugno 2017

Ken, I have a 2016 with Goodyears and I agree with you. The road noise is awful.

mm7nyy | 1 giugno 2017

Then I must be losing my hearing. LOL

thranx | 1 giugno 2017

I have a mid-2016 build with the Goodyears. Noise level from tires is perfectly acceptable.

minervo.florida | 1 giugno 2017

We have had both and the Goodyears are as quiet or more so than the Michelins.

jbdvm1988 | 1 giugno 2017

I'm with Ken. My 2015 85D with michelins was much quieter than my 2016.5 90D with goodyears. Not sure if the difference is the tires or some other manufacturing change/defect

vp09 | 1 giugno 2017

Ken we have two S90Ds built in April of 2016, with Goodyear Eagle Touring M+S 245/R19 98W tires. No noise issues at any speed (but my first electric car). I'll try to have a ride in a Tesla with Michelins and compare.

p.c.mcavoy | 1 giugno 2017

I have a mid-2016 refresh MS 90D with Goodyear Touring P245/45R19s and about 13,500 miles. Never felt that tire noise level was unacceptable in any way and clearly not at a level which prevents comfortably having a conversation at all normal driving speeds.

I had an 85 as a service loaner last Friday with Michelins on it which I believe was a 2014 (VIN p35xxx) with about 70,000 miles on it (although no idea mileage on the tires). That's my only experience driving MS with Michelins. No noticeable difference in tire noise compared to my 2016.

vp09 | 1 giugno 2017

Thanks PC. What do you think is going on with Ken's March 2017 car? Different tires? Ken what model are the Goodyears that you are writing about?

p.c.mcavoy | 1 giugno 2017

@vp09 - I wasn't intending to claim I know the cause of Ken's concern, or to imply I think his concern is not real with his vehicle.

Ken and/or his wife may be much more sensitive to certain sounds or frequencies (my wife must leave the room or plug her ears when I sharpen knives in the kitchen and it doesn't bother me at all). Or his level of "objectionable" may be quite different than mine and he may react to my car as unbearable. Or it may be the difference between the two tires only manifests itself on certain type of road surfaces which he experiences and I do not.

Could be a large number of factors that can play into this, none of which I claim to have the ability to isolate based simply upon him relating his experience versus me relating mine.

vp09 | 1 giugno 2017

PC, thanks for the comments. I bet I'm even more noise-sensitive than your wife is, and so I'm interested in what is going on with Ken.

1. He drives only on gravel or macadam (your point) not asphalt or concrete?;
2. He has a special sensitivity to a particular noise frequency, hue, or level (doubt that);
3. You and I are going deaf (not likely-- the singing of the coyotes comes through these walls clearly):
4. His tires on his 100D are different than the tires on our cars.

Ken, what say you?

Anthony J. Parisio | 2 giugno 2017

I have had the Michelin's on my MS. Now I have the Goodyear Touring on my new one. The Goodyear's are quieter. They are so quite they impressed me. My question is where they Goodyear Touring?

ted | 2 giugno 2017

I have had my 100D for 6 weeks now with Goodyear. My car is quiet, my friends are amazed how quiet it is, I love my quiet car.

KenSchwaber | 2 giugno 2017

So much input.
Here is more information:
1. I had Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires
2. I though I might be nuts so I bought a tool that measures noise levels. Hence my decibel recordings. Same recorder.
3. I noticed the sound difference most on Interstate highways (II95/128 around Boston, Route 3 from Boston to Concord NH, and I89 from Concord NH to Lebanon NH.
4. We have an older cat that just hates, hates, hates to travel in her carrier in cars, specifically a 2014 Volvo. She complains and complains on our trip from Boston to Lebanon NH, a two hour trip. When I got the 2014 Tesla, her silence was noticeable. She didn't complain at all. When I got the 2017 Tesla, she complained as much as in the Volvo. Her complaints diminished to almost nothing when I installed the Michelins.

The is most perplexing.
Thanks for all of your inputs. If I can address any more variables, let me know.

Ken

RedShift | 2 giugno 2017

@ken

Here is a variable that is easily addressed. This is from another Tesla owner who took apart his Tesla to add more sound deadening. (See my thread, titled 'Sound deadening project')

Change to Pirelli Cinturato. Single biggest gain in quietening the car. Trust me!

Second option is to do what I did, or pay someone to do what I did. (Not me!)

Good luck.

JPPTM | 2 giugno 2017

The Goodyear RS-A2 were the original OEM for Model S. Currently the OEM is a Goodyear Touring tire with foam liner. Totally different tires. New ones really quiet.

Dofpic | 2 giugno 2017

My 70D 2015 has Michelin Primacy and I have been very happy with them and they are great in snow. Atbfirst I was disappointed that my 100D came with goodyear eagle grand touring. First Imlooked up on tire rack and the Goodyear had better traction in rain and snow(yet to be determined) Today I drove them both back to back on a 10 min drive same roads and the New one with Goodyear are definitely more quiet. I have been pleasantly surprised.

RedShift | 2 giugno 2017

@dofpic

Glad to hear it. Hope the foam-liner tire catches on.

Tropopause | 2 giugno 2017

OP,

I had not heard of any Tesla tire having foam insulation other than the Continental ContiSport Conti-Silents which are for the 21" rims.

qhrick | 2 giugno 2017

I have 2016 S90 December bulifd. I'm not a fan of the Goodyears. My problem is I have no baseline. Never had a Tesla before. I'm sorely tempted to try with Michellin's or Pirelli's
My wife is probably right when she says the stock tires on A Genesis we have are much better

vp09 | 2 giugno 2017

Ken,

1. "I had Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires"

2. JPPTM wrote: "The Goodyear RS-A2 were the original OEM for Model S. Currently the OEM is a Goodyear Touring tire with foam liner. Totally different tires. New ones really quiet."

Have we figured out the noise?

TaoJones | 3 giugno 2017

Started with the OEM Michelins in an S85 in late 2014. They were fine and of course got loud toward the end of their life. They came off the car at 53,000+ miles at 3/32" all around. Could have gotten a bit more out of them.

Next set for that car: OEM Goodyear RS-A2s. Put about 10,000 miles on those before trading in the car. They were no louder than the Michelins. Not as well-made, either, but for $451 out the door for a set of 4, I wasn't going to complain, at least to test one set. My expectation for those was 35,000 miles. I bought the car for touring - not for quick-start joy or to take to the track.

Model S #2 is a 2-month-old S90D that came with the new OEM Goodyear Touring tires, which added foam but still no tread mileage warranty as with the 1st gen OEM Goodyears. Just had those rotated today after a 7,079-mile mini-road trip (odo just over 9,200 miles). Fronts were down to 8/32". Rears to 6/32". The rear # concerns me. Uncorrected, that means 20,000 miles from a set of non-performance tires - which is abysmal even compared to the previous OEM Michelins at 45,000 tread mileage warranty.

Anyway, the plan was to rotate at 5,000 miles, mid-road trip, but that didn't happen. Will see how they even out over time. I did notice the tires were under-inflated at 42psi (door panel calls for 45psi - as opposed to what the tire specs are)) for the first 2,500 miles or so. Other than that...

Anecdotal evidence from a SoCal SvC is that the new Goodyear Touring tires seem to last 30,000 miles with rare if any exceptions. Keep in mind the conditions in SoCal.

I don't know that they are any quieter than any other new tire. I do know that road surfaces vary widely across the continent. Ohio had the best/quietest toll roads with New York and Illinois having the worst. I was just happy that Wyoming *had* roads, given the intermittent snow and ice.

These Goodyear tires (Goodyear Touring) have been on Teslas since April 2016. Anyone had these for a year yet, and if so, how are they holding up?

Anthony J. Parisio | 4 giugno 2017

Even after their introduction on the 2016 facelift Model S, no one seemed to know about the Goodyear Touring tires with the sound deading foam lining. Even tire repair shops didn't know how to deal with the foam lining. At first even I was shocked to see Goodyears instead of Michelin's on a Model S. From my past experience, the old Goodyear Eagles were much noisier then the Michelin's. I almost had them replaced with the Michelin's. However, on a test drive I have found them to be much more quiet then the Michelin's on my last Model S. Even the ride seemed smoother. My Tesla DS confirmed this to be true. I have had them since September and found them to be quite in all my driving conditions. So please don't be confused. These are new sound deading tires.

p.c.mcavoy | 4 giugno 2017

Something to be aware of if you go to buy a set of Goodyear Touring P245/45R19 tires. I've actually seen two different versions of this tire offered when I've searched for them. The most obvious difference between them is the load/speed rating designation with the Tesla OEM spec having a 98W designation. I have not investigated them enough to know of both versions have the sound deadening foam, but that might be something you want to make sure you check into if you look to get these from a source other than a Tesla Service Center.

eztider | 4 giugno 2017

My mid-2016 S90D came with the Goodyears and, yes, they have foam inside. After 18K miles I can say they are very quiet and I'm impressed with the smooth ride. I have other issues with the tires but noise and ride quality are not among them. I'll buy them again when it's time for replacement.

Bill_75D | 4 giugno 2017

What other issues?

philgrocks | 11 giugno 2017

I traded my P85 for a 100D (moving from Michelin to Goodyear in the process. The 100D + Goodyear is quieter than the P85 + Michelin for sure.

vpoz | 12 giugno 2017

Just put 19" Dunlops on mine , lots quieter then the Michelins that came with the car.

Haggy | 12 giugno 2017

"I had a 2015 S85D with Michelins. I now have a new S100D with the goodyears and mine were just as quite as the michelins."

It's hard to compare, especially if you step out of one and into the other. I have a 2014 that came with the Michelins. I just got new tires, also Michelins. The new ones are much quieter, which is not surprising for new tires. Had I moved to a different car with Goodyear tires and found the noise level to be the same, it would have meant that the Goodyears were too noisy.

On the other hand, the noisiest tires I ever had were also Michelin, if I remember correctly. I had read reviews saying that they were noisy, but figured that if only some people complained, how bad could it be? I regretted it before i even got home. But over the next 1000 miles, they became quiet. Sometimes new tires have noise that goes away after hundreds of miles.

I considered the Goodyears but it's a moot point because nobody I could find carries the Tesla dampened version.

shs | 12 giugno 2017

Here is my experience with tires after 110,000 miles in a bit more than 4 years. I have experienced two different sets of Goodyears tires, three different sets of Michelin all seasons, plus 2 sets of MIchelin Xice Xi3 winter tires. All 19s.

We live in the Sierra near Yosemite Nation Park, so much of our driving in on curvy mountain roads, plus frequent trips to Sacramento, the Bay area, LA and one trip to Michigan and back. I generally put on all seasons in the spring and hope there is some tread left by the time I need to switch back to winter tires in the early winter.

In my experience tires make a huge difference in how the car feels and handles. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s made the car feel very responsive and sporty while my current Goodyear Eagle Touring (with the foam) make it seem more like a 60s Cadillac. I loved the Pilot Sports on the local winding roads and love the Eagle Touring tires driving up the 99 freeway to Sacramento as the pavement on many patches of 99 is less than ideal. The Pilot Sports seemed to dance up and down our local winding roads, always on their toes and seemed to turn just the right amount if I just thought about turning. The A/S 3s could be quite noisy on rough services and a bit stiff on bumps. The Eagle Touring feel a bit more like you are riding on balloons, not nearly as quick on the turn in with a bit of hesitation and oscillation. The Eagle Touring tires are quieter and much smoother with any roughness in the road and you actually notice more wind noise as a result. In general the Eagle Touring make the MS seem more like a luxury car rather than a sports car. Vice versa for the A/S 3s.

I have only gotten 20,000 miles of tread wear, plus or minus, from my original Goodyear Eagle GTs, (?) a set of Goodyear Primacy tires, and two sets of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s (with or without the plus). It is early days with the Eagle Touring. For what it is worth, my local tire shop had no trouble getting the TO Tesla Eagle Touring tires.

I have not seen any change in energy use with the A/S 3s vs the Primacy or the original Goodyear tires, but that is likely because our mileage is influenced by the percentage of driving we do in the mountains. Your mileage may vary. Likewise, so far, there has been no winner in terms of tread wear. I just have to hope that my “summer” all seasons make it to the winter when I swap to the Xi3s, which, BTW, I really like.

What will I get next spring? Good question. It depends on how the Eagle Touring do in terms of tread wear and/or energy use. The answer is also not easy because it really depends what is important, a sportier feel or more comfort. I guess it is good to have the choice, if you can’t have it all. Maybe the Primacy is the happy medium?

eztider | 15 giugno 2017

@Bill_75D WRT other issues I've had with the Goodyears...I've had five punctures in 11 months. I've had to buy two new tires during that time due to two not being repairable. Since my last post, I measured tread depth on the (now) six Goodyears I have. The two (new) ones are down to 6/32 and 5/32. The four older tires are, two at 3/32 and two at 4/32. So, I'm not getting the wear I expect. Again, noise and ride quality wasn't the problem in the past.

But wouldn't you know it, in the last week I had a problem with a moderate wobbly vibration at freeway speed coming from the drivers' side front. I took a Tesla Service Center tech for a drive and he thought it was an unbalanced tire. I had the tire balanced, test drove it, no help. So I have an appointment for next Wednesday to let them handle it.

I mentioned my issues with the Goodyears and the service tech told me Michelin has a new tire with the sound deadening foam inside. If I have to buy more new tires to solve this latest problem I may switch to the Michelins. I have to at least try something different.

ColonyGolfer | 16 giugno 2017

You can all run your own test......There is a free app called "volume meter". Install it on your smartphone and test the same 1/4 mile, or so, stretch of road with ac and radio off, of course. Write down the "average" the app says, then do the same with a loaner, or friend's car, or before and after you get new tires.

vpoz | 16 giugno 2017

Go for Dunlop tyres .. much quieter

kwen197 | 16 giugno 2017

The Model S 90 D I purchased December 17th 2016 came with "Goodyear Eagle Touring" 19" tires.

The are very much quieter than the Michelins on my previous two Model S 85's.

TaoJones | 17 giugno 2017

They are quiet but they're not holding up well. Down to 5/32"-7/32" after less than 10,000 miles.

Compared to the Michelins on the last S that I got 53,000 miles out of with 3/32" to go, these new Goodyears are not a value-add. In fact, current usage would indicate going through sets of tires more than twice as fast due to the change.

A set of Michelin OEMs can be had out the door for $1400 +/- $100. For 55,000 miles.

A set of the new Goodyears from Tesla cost about $1,000 out the door in CA. For 20,000 miles - maybe.

So in round numbers, the cost of tires just doubled relative to the Michelins - at present wear rate, anyway.

But they are quieter.

eztider | 22 giugno 2017

Followup to my June 15 post...kudos to the Torrance Service Center for correctly diagnosing my wobble/bumpy ride problem. Turns out to be a bent wheel. I swapped my OEM wheels for earlier generation Tesla wheels that were chromed within the first week of owning the 90D. Apparently I bent the passengers side rear when I had my last flat tire. I'll replace that wheel and buy a set of the Michelins in September when it's a little cooler.

mdmgso | 22 giugno 2017

@ TaoJones

"These Goodyear tires (Goodyear Touring) have been on Teslas since April 2016. Anyone had these for a year yet, and if so, how are they holding up?"

We have Goodyear Touring tires on a 2016 S 75 (Family Joules). We just had them rotated at 15k after about a year's service. Very little visible wear and no uneven wear. They are also very quiet. We have always had Michelins, and I raised he!! at delivery because the Tesla web site at the time advertised Michelin as the standard tire, but got nowhere. I really like the Goodyears better.

We just took delivery of a S 100D (Silver Bullet) this week and, it also has the Goodyear Touring tires. I think Tesla has improved sound deadening because this car is even quieter. We will almost certainly get the same type tire when it is time for replacements.

Ddowns2050 | 22 giugno 2017

My S100D has about 9,000 miles and has 8/32 of tread left. That doesn't seem too bad. The tires are quiet and smooth. I will replace with the same. I had an S85D with michelins, although they had good even tread left, they were cupping at about 33,000 miles and became very loud. So I changed them and the 2nd set did the same thing. They wore even but got very loud between 30,000 and 35,000 miles.

Brian1940King | 7 dicembre 2019

Went to Sullivan Tire, 950 Commonwealth Ave Brookline. (Boston, Massachusetts) They have special equipment which lifts the car from suspension. No need to bother with trying to use the tiny jack pads. No damage to battery pack or body. Cheaper than Tesla.

Went to Sullivan Tire in Quincy for alignment. They have a lift which avoids driving up a ramp. Also cheaper than Tesla.

Good Year
Eagle Touring
245/45R19 98W Paid $829 including balance, mounting and tax. 12/5/2019
Replaced at 30,000 miles Model S 75D 2018

Live in Greater Boston area

Went to Sullivan Tire, 950 Commonwealth Ave Brookline. (Boston, Massachusetts) They have special equipment which lifts the car from suspension. No need to bother with trying to use the tiny jack pads. No damage to battery pack or body. Cheaper than Tesla.

Went to Sullivan Tire in Quincy for alignment. They have a lift which avoids driving up a ramp. Also cheaper than Tesla.

Good Year
Eagle Touring

Good Year
Eagle Touring