Forums

Renting a Chicago apartment with a Model 3

Renting a Chicago apartment with a Model 3

I've had the idea of moving to Chicago in the near future for some time now, and am also hopefully going to take delivery of my Model 3 not too long after the new year (I reserved in person the day before the unveiling). I'd probably start looking to live somewhere in or around Edgewater, Andersonville, Lincoln Square, or Uptown. I imagine living in an apartment with street parking, and so I've really started to wonder how to keep an EV. I see myself utilizing public transit for my daily work commute, and the Model 3 for occasional evening and weekend excursions, both in/around town, and longer road trips.

Does anybody have experience living in the Chicago neighborhoods with an EV and without a garage, or a regular nightly charging? chatting with a Tesla rep, he suggested that once the planned supercharger opens in Lincoln Park (not Lincoln Square), that I drive down there on the weekends for lunch and to charge up, so long as I'm not driving 30+ miles/day. Another option would be to buy a condo, and a parking space in that building (which I hear is always ridiculously expensive, as in I could probably buy a second car) and then pay to install charging equipment (and probably need to buy an insurance policy for it, from what I've read).

How practical is it to live where you have no regular daily/nightly charging, but relatively low demand and where other transport options are readily available?

Rutrow | 20 giugno 2017

Do you use the train for your commute? Perhaps you could get CTA to install destination chargers at train station parking lots. Even if you usually walked to the station you could occasionally drive on days you need a charge.

High Plains Drifter | 20 giugno 2017

Owning an EV without a home charging solution is just poor planning on the buyer's part.

The fact that your Tesla sales rep encouraged you the buyer to own an EV without a home charging solution would be a direct endorsement for "Local Super Charging" by an official Tesla representative. By selling to you the apartment dweller without a home charging solution, Tesla is fueling the conditions for Super Charging stall crowding.

So don't blame the locals for your crowded Super Charging problems. Blame Tesla who encouraged the sales that lead to these conditions.

eeb9 | 20 giugno 2017

I made it a point to find an apartment complex with chargers.

That said, a Tesla sales rep who pushed for someone to buy a car they can't readily charge does all of us a disservice

mstubbs007 | 20 giugno 2017

I sure you could find a 40 AMP dryer hook up p retty easily push come to shove a 110 volt outside outlet you could use. you might have to be a bit creative but its not the end of the world for sure. This gives way to an idea I have to provide mobile charing service to EV owners in your same situation.

gatorj31 | 20 giugno 2017

I live in Atl where there are a couple places for supercharging. If I lived in an apartment without overnight charging, But I took public transit for most of my daily commute then I don't think it would be an issue for me to drive to the chargers once or twice a week. I say go for it, the challenge is part of the adventure and Chicago is sure to get more super chargers in the near future

gatorj31 | 20 giugno 2017

To add to that... I currently own a leaf. There's no way I'd want to own a leaf in an apartment, but a m3 is a different story. I would suggest a battery upgrade though

Nexxus | 21 giugno 2017

Wow! Your apartment comes with its own Model 3? Fantastic!! I didn't know they were out already in Chicago? :-)

Hope you will be able to satisfy all your charging needs.

eeb9 | 21 giugno 2017

One thing to do is to work with an apartment locator service, and use them to find a complex with a charger on-site

That's what I did with my move. We found a surprisingly large number of properties with chargers. The one I ultimately chose has *five* EV chargers that are *free* for resident use.

I suspect that you can find something similar in Chicago.

acares | 21 giugno 2017

@ckharrison10 I live on the border of Edgewater/Andersonville and have also been struggling on this front. I own a condo with a parking spot, and my board has given me permission to have an electrician come to quote the cost. (I purposely got on the condo board to make this easier) but let me tell you what I know about these area's/charging/parking.

- Most condo's in these neighborhoods come with at least one parking space. However I have yet to see one with EV charging ability. You will have to deal with condo boards and the best way to run electricity to your parking space (most spots are outside- although if you buy new construction you might find one in covered parking)

- As you mentioned there is a new supercharger planned in Lincoln Park. At low traffic times this will only be 10-15 mins from the neighborhoods you mention.

- Almost all the Walgreens in North Chicago have EV chargers. You have to pay for them and most are level 1 or 2 so they are slow.

- There are a number of houses in these neighborhoods that have been converted to multi family homes and a number of these have garages. If you are looking for an apt this might be your best bet. You will only have to convince the owner/landlord to let you modify an outlet in the garage and if you are paying I don't see why they wouldn't let you.

- Garages. As mentioned many of the houses in the area's (At least Edgewater & Andersonville) have detached garages. They are always in demand but not as expensive as you would think...anywhere from $100-200/mo

- I have never once seen an apt complex with EV chargers on site. There are no real incentives in IL/Chicago to do so but it can't hurt to try to find one.

Overall it might be challenging but it can definitely be done.

@High Plains Drifter it's not poor planning. He/She hasn't bought the Tesla yet (only a 1K refundable deposit) and is actively planning the best way to handle. There are definite ways to charge, the question is what is the best/ most cost effective solution.

acares | 21 giugno 2017

Forgot to mention there are also a couple other random options that I've seen.

Evanston (closest North Suburb to Chicago- I don't know how familiar you are with the area) garages have EV charging and garage parking is free on Sundays and for 4 hours if you see a movie.

There is also charging in a Skokie parking lot by their movie theater as well.

High Plains Drifter | 22 giugno 2017

"Owning an EV without a home charging solution is just poor planning on the buyer's part. "

This statement does not establish the original poster as a poor planner. It simply states that those "owners" who actually bought EVs without establishing a home charging solution are the poor planners. Since the OP does not presently "own" an EV with the prescribed conditions then the statement above can not apply to him/her.

It would be nice if some forum members would just stick to the question at hand.

acares | 22 giugno 2017

@High Plains Drifter You brought in the comment "Owning an EV without a home charging solution is just poor planning on the buyer's part " I don't see how that pertains to the question at hand unless you were implying the OP was a poor planner. In fact I don't see anything in your original comment that was helpful to the OP at all.

As for "Local Super Charging" I can't find Elon's Quote but he is bringing more superchargers into cities and no longer just on highways. I think this would imply that they expect a number of locals at these chargers until they are able to come up with a solution to apartment and city dweller charging needs.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 22 giugno 2017

In previous discussions it was determined that those who undergo the expense associated with making a conscious decision to purchase an electric car even when they will not have the convenience of home charging should be applauded for making the decision to abandon ICE, not lambasted for 'going it wrong' and stuff. Baby steps lead to running, eventually. It is amazing how fast a two-year-old can be.

hmgolds | 22 giugno 2017

I'm in a downtown condo (Minneapolis) with a M3 reservation, so I must be a poor planner too.

You're planned usage is similar to mine except I'm retired, so I don't have a daily commute. But we do travel frequently to a lake home 100 miles away. There is a supercharger right on the route, 55 miles from my condo. Close to the condo, but not within convenient walking distance, are a couple of 6.6kw Chargepoint chargers ($.80 and $1 per hour). There is also a 13kw destination charger at a hotel 1 mile from my condo.

Installing a 40amp circuit to my condo parking spot will cost about $5k based on one estimate. This is driven by cabling (about 125 ft), a sub-meter, and circuit breakers to isolate the circuit. It would be less if a number of stalls were being wired simultaneously and much less if done when the condo was built. It's a large underground parking garage which drives up the cost.

By my calculation (based on a Model S as no details on the M3 are known), 1 hour and $0.80 buys me 20 miles of range at 6.6kw. That's OK if you have another need to park there, but it's a poor tradeoff if you have no other reason to spend an hour there. The "up to" 13.3kw destination charger is not much better. Since it doesn't have a restaurant I would otherwise frequent, spending an hour in the bar/restaurant for 40 miles of range makes it a very expensive proposition.

Tesla has plans for a supercharger in Minneapolis. It's "pinned" downtown, but it could end up in a close in suburb (according to a local Tesla rep). For me, that's an acceptable option. The close-by 6.6kw chargers are my emergency backup.

Something else to consider. A local Model S driver tells me to expect a 20% reduction in range in an unheated garage and 30% if parked outside. This is for the "dead of winter" in Minneapolis. Probably a bit worse than you will experience in Chicago.

acares | 22 giugno 2017

@hmgolds All us poor planners with Model 3 reservations :) I'm hoping my electrician quotes less than 5K for my parking sport, but even if they do, I firmly believe I can find other options to make it work.

PhillyGal | 22 giugno 2017

@hmgolds - you aren't a poor planner. That was a poor comment above.

hmgolds | 22 giugno 2017

@acares The $5k estimate is driven by a lot of site specific factors, including the length of the wiring runs. Here's someone else's experience: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/successful-completion-of-condo-c...

But, bottom line, some people think it's as simple as installing a home charger in a single family home and it's not. For example, in our condo, parking spaces are individually titled property. So swapping a spot with another owner (unless done informally) is a title transaction with all the fees that that entails.

Also, condo boards know that everything they do sets a precedent. So they have to be careful about allowing an approach that is not scalable when the next resident wants to do it.

ckharrison10 | 23 giugno 2017

@acares Thanks very much for the comprehensive response, that's very helpful information, and the kind of first hand account I was hoping to hear back. In a perfect situation, if I move there, the place would have a garage spot I could buy, but I'm trying to figure out a worst case scenario, if I find a place without parking, and have to do on street, if that's even possible. It sounds like with some luck and planning it could be. (Which, @High Plains Drifter, is exactly why I'm asking these questions before I move or have the car. It's called research. That's also why I didn't take the Tesla rep's advice to the bank and am seeking additional input)

High Plains Drifter | 23 giugno 2017

ckharrison10

The statement "Owning an EV without a home charging solution is just poor planning on the buyer's part. " did not imply you are a poor planner. It simply states that people who allow to fall into that position are the poor planners. The only intended message was "don't be that guy... the poor planner".

You are a perspective buyer and not an owner. So because you failed to meet the very first prerequisite of my statement then clearly the conclusion would not apply to you. The only way you can make the "logical inference" that I called you a poor planner was that you met ALL the prescribed conditions in my statement. But you failed on the very first test. Think of it like a nested IF-THEN programming statement or basic philosophical logic... It is really very straight forward statement.

The fact that a Tesla sales rep advised you to rely on local super charging was propagating information that was contrary to the company's advertised policies is a knock on Telsa . Irate Telsa owners who complain about crowded super chargers are wrong to blame the local users. These local super charger users are only using the super chargers in the manner that Tesla's own sales reps instructed them.

I try my best not to hijack threads by responding to anybody else but the OP. I fell victim to acare's first query and allowed this thread to go off in a tangent. Continual response to his/her follow up comments would only serve to further stray the thread more off its subject. So I refrained. But since you the owner of this thread sequestered a response. I felt justified in responding to thread with in clearing up any misunderstandings.

Definition of a logical inference
logical inference - "a process of reasoning by which a fact or proposition sought to be established is deduced as a logical consequence from other facts, or a state of facts, already proved or admitted.:

or basically ALL the conditions must be met before an inference is valid.

acares | 23 giugno 2017

@hmgolds our parking spots are also individually titled property. Thankfully my spot is both right next to the building and next to my actual condo-I'm hoping that will make the process feasible.

@ckharrison10 Let me know if you need any other information on the area!