Forums

charging connection at my home.

charging connection at my home.

Is the charging equipment needed for my house and additional cost when purchasing the Model 3?

ir | 21 giugno 2017

Technically no, you could use a regular 110V outlet if you don't mind waiting 2+ days to fully charge at home or happen to have convenient access to public chargers or drive such short distances to not need faster charging. Some folks have unused dryer or welder outlets already installed.

But vast majority of Tesla owners have installed something at home to charge faster at their own cost (equipment, electrician, permits, etc...).

High Plains Drifter | 22 giugno 2017

A 110/240V mobile charger will come with the vehicle. You may choose to have electrical work done to install an NEMA 14-50 outlet. Cost will depend on length of wiring run. Some owners (like me) opt for the wall charger. This allows us to leave the car charger stowed in the car (all the time).

gar1116 | 22 giugno 2017

Is the 'wall charger' the same thing as the NEMA 14-50 outlet? Or something else? Where can I (we) find info on this 'something else'?

dsvick | 22 giugno 2017

The wall connector is a separate item you would buy from Tesla and have installed where you will be charging your car. It is physically wired into your electric system. You can get more info on it, and all home charging options, here: https://www.tesla.com/charge-at-home

kaffine | 22 giugno 2017

The wall charger is actually a wall connector it does not contain a charger. The car has the charger built in for normal use, the Super Chargers bypass the on board chargers to allow for a faster charge. To find more info on them click on the charging tab at the top of the page then look at home charging options.

A 14-50 is a cheaper option to the wall connector. The 14-50 outlet would serve the same purpose as the wall connector however it requires the use of the mobile cable and adapter (likely included with the car) vs just plugging the cable from the wall connector into the car.

A 14-50 outlet is limited to a 50 amp breaker which will limit charging to a max of 40amps.

A wall connector can be connected to a 100 amp breaker which would allow up to 80 amps for charging however currently Tesla only offers a max of a 72amp charger (they did at one time have an 80 amp option) I don't see the 3 having a high power charger than the S and X have. However the wall connector can be connector to smaller breakers as well and has settings to configure what amp breaker it is connected to so it limits the power.

The benefit of the 14-50 outlet is it will work with other brands of EV as most will have an adapter that will work with a 14-50 outlet. Where the wall connector is proprietary to Tesla. Another advantage to the 14-50 is if you happen to have hobbies that need a 240V circuit in the garage. Some welding equipment and wood working tools use 14-50 outlets so you could use it for that when not charging your car.

The benefit of the wall connector is possibility of a faster charge rate and the ability to daisy chain multiple wall connectors and have them share the same circuit. Also using the wall connector means you can leave the mobile connector and adapters in your car and not have to disconnect them from the wall if you want to have them with the car. I know some have bought a second mobile connector so one is left connected to the 14-50 at home and one is in the car in case they have to charge away from home, however the price of a second mobile connector is the same as a wall connector.

Rutrow | 23 giugno 2017

For folks who anticipate that they'll need to run a high amperage 220v circuit to charge their 3 in the next few months/years, you might benefit from keeping an eye on spot copper prices. The price of 6-3 w/G cable today is $4/foot, and suppliers, even at DYI home centers adjust their price on market fluctuations. Copper isn't at the valley it was a year ago, but right now is historically low. Check with your electrician to see what cable you need. Either buy it now or hope for a crash in a few months. If an infrastructure deal comes out of DC any time soon, copper prices will soar.

dd.micsol | 23 giugno 2017

I say yes. You need to install a special outlet. A standard will cost you a ton of money in the end.
Charge up on off peak hours-check with you electric company rate #.
This way you use the cheapest unless you're like me and generate your own all the time-wind water solar.
A pwrwall isn't a bad idea either. This way you don't need to worry about peak hrs.

JayInJapan | 23 giugno 2017

Sounds like someone covered the short and is now long.

dsvick | 23 giugno 2017

@JayInJapan - lol

Xerogas | 23 giugno 2017

I think OP was trying to find out if Teslas require a special, expensive electronic device installed in order to charge at home (like many other non-Tesla EVs do). The answer is no; all those electronics are built into the car.

OP: if you have a 220v electric dryer outlet close enough to you parked car, you can plug into that, and it will recharge to full overnight just fine... you will regain about 29 miles of range for each hour it's plugged in. In a pinch, you can plug in to 110v, but it will take a lot longer because you only regain 3-4 miles of range per hour.

If your 220v outlet is not convenient, then yes, you will have to pay an electrician to install a new 220v outlet (the NEMA 14-50 mentioned already), and costs will vary depending on your situation.

And finally, if you really need to charge quicker for some reason, Model S cars have an optional expensive wall charger that can charge twice as fast as 220, but nobody on this forum can tell you for sure if that option will be available for Model 3.

Short answer: ask an electrician to estimate how much a NEMA 14-50 will cost.

SUN 2 DRV | 23 giugno 2017

Rutrow: If someone is really trying to minimize their copper cost, they should also just consider getting a Wall Connector instead since it only needs TWO power conductors vs THREE needed for a 14-50 outlet. ;-)

SCCRENDO | 23 giugno 2017

The HPWC is $500 or $550 depending on the length. I initially used a NEMA 14-50 with the UMC provided. I bought a second one for travel. When the travel UMC failed I started using my home one for travel and installed a HPWC. The price of the 24 ft HPWC was the same as a new UMC at $550. I paid $800 for installation of the HPWC but got $500 from my city for installing the HPWC. Thus it was almost a wash. The other benefit is that when I get my Model 3 I can daisy chain another HPWC on the same circuit.

SUN 2 DRV | 23 giugno 2017

SCCRENDO: +10

That's the perfect strategy!