Forums

Model 3: No Separate Canadian/US versions

Model 3: No Separate Canadian/US versions

Background:

With the Model S and Model X, the Canadian version is slightly different from the United States version. That's because Tesla designed to US standards and then handles foreign versions essentially as an options package. Two of the most obvious differences between the cars in the United States and Canada are that the Canadian version has red seat belt release buttons instead of same-color buttons (black or white), and the Canadian version doesn't let you turn off the daytime running lights. No other car company does this, so Canadian regulations are generally applied to all cars sold in the United States except Teslas. The downside of this is that you can't import a used Tesla from the United States into Canada (it's not on their approved list, even if you tweak everything to get it to comply with their standards). Personally, I really like the solid-color seat belt receptacles; they give the car one more unique feature.

So what does this have to do with the Model 3?

It appears that the ease-of-manufacturing effort includes having a single model that meets all regulations, so there will be no customization for Canada. Europe will still require a different charging port, but otherwise the left-hand-drive cars are likely to be identical around the world.

What evidence points to this?

First, it seems like an obvious choice, given Tesla's statements about simplifying manufacturing. But more recently, there have been photos posted of the Model 3 interior. Sure enough, they have red seat belt release buttons. It's just one little thing, but the implications are clear.

socaldave | 26 giugno 2017

I was going to write "can't have imperial gauges in a metric country", but with no gauges, as long as they can tweak the screen to default to metric (and not switch to imperial), there's really nothing else I can think of that would impact mfg for one country v another. So I agree that the physical LHD cars should be the same, there will have to be compliance tweaks that you'd think could be handled via software.

I'd never given it much thought, but that might be (one of) the biggest reasons there are no gauges. Damn, that's really, really smart. =)

Iwantmy3 | 26 giugno 2017

No gauges, no emissions issues, no fuel standard issues, it is hard to see what would need to be different between U.S. and Canada. Charge requirement issues for Europe. RHD for various other countries.

SUN 2 DRV | 26 giugno 2017

Might be good to add a "?" at the end of your thread title....

The red seat belt buttons could easily be explained by using a standard part from their vendor while the Model 3 custom one is still in process...

TeslaTap.com | 26 giugno 2017

I thought cars sold in Canada had to be dual language (French/English). Easy to deal with on the LCD display, but a pain everywhere else. Perhaps I'm wrong on this? If it is required, does every part need to be labeled in French and English even if the part label is not normally viewed by the customer?

bernard.holbrook | 26 giugno 2017

It is not correct that this only applies to Tesla.

I know first hand that this applies to and least BMW and Volvo as well. The Volvo S60R that I imported from the US to Canada in 2009 had to be modified to Canadian specifications. I had to pay Volvo for a software update that disabled the ability to turn off daytime running lights. As for the bilingual language requirements, I had to by from Volvo a set of stickers that went over the english-only US stickers; most of these were air bag warning stickers. Total cost was about $800 (mostly for DRL).

If you like stick, Canada also requires that you can't start the car without the clutch all the way down. The US Volvo has this so not an issue.

For a complete list of cars and how to import into Canada, you should go the the website of the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV); RIV is tied to Transport Canada.

internet riv. ca/Home.aspx

Note that OP is correct that you can't bring up an S or X, but you can import a roadster (VIN from 501 to 1420)

bernard.holbrook | 26 giugno 2017

I hate Mollom. Link was the best I could do. Remove extra spaces and add www.