Forums

tire tread life

tire tread life

How many miles are you getting on the 20" tires until they need to be replaced

ken | 12 luglio 2017

if your height setting at standard, it will get 35k miles.

poloX | 12 luglio 2017

Only 35k?? Continental tires? Michelin should last longer???

Waldek | 12 luglio 2017

I was able to get 50k on continental 20" last year and it looks it can handle 3-5k miles more

lilbean | 12 luglio 2017

I was thinking "that much"? Mine are ready to be replaced soon with only 10K miles.

poloX | 12 luglio 2017

OMG, lilbean, what did you do to your tires? I mean tires today can last more than 60k easy. Unless you pay for the VERY cheap tires, then you get at least 30K. So those are not 20" but the size should not be a factor, right?

Tropopause | 12 luglio 2017

Are all 20" Tesla Model X tires All-Season? Or are Summer tires on the PD models?

Tropopause | 12 luglio 2017

Summer tires will wear quickly. Maybe twice as fast as All-Seasons.

lilbean | 12 luglio 2017

I just have the 20" Conti silents that came with the car. I drive very conservatively and I don't stomp on the accelerator.

Tropopause | 13 luglio 2017

Is your's a PD?

lilbean | 13 luglio 2017

No P just D.

Triggerplz | 13 luglio 2017

O Boy

lilbean | 13 luglio 2017

Lol!

Just the opposite for me :-)

lilbean | 13 luglio 2017

You got the D too.

Yea I must agree you definitely right about that :-)

Tropopause | 13 luglio 2017

I believe the D's come with All-Season on the 20". Lilbean, let us know your measurements when you get your new gauge.

lilbean | 13 luglio 2017

Will do!

I recently had my first annual maintenance and my thread depth on all 4 tires were 7's across the board, (outter, center, inner) at least they wearing evenly and no alignment was needed, since an alignment is included with the service I was hoping they would have aligned it, by the way i have 22's. https://imgur.com/a/tZ9yU

lilbean | 13 luglio 2017

You should go to Vegas with those numbers.

lol that was a lot of 7's

Oops I called my tire tread "thread" I've been on these damn forums to long :-)

lilbean | 13 luglio 2017

Yes, but you missed my funny comments on the delivery tread.

Yea Lilbean Dang I missed that Butt comment sometimes I'm either moving to fast or to slow :-)

lilbean | 13 luglio 2017

Haha!

Plus since that was a male I wouldn't have commented

elguapo | 14 luglio 2017

I have a P with summer/three season tires and they've lasted about 15,000 miles. I just do normal driving. It's about what I expected.

rossRallen | 15 luglio 2017

Conti 20" summer tires that came with my P90D delivery would have gotten only 7000 miles before wear out. Replaced them all at 5,100 with Michelins because of a puncture: back tires too worn to replace just one, couldn't have Michelins on the back and Contis on the front. $2,200 nail.

At my annual service, the Tesla tech found all wheels needed realignment. I have about 7,000 on the Michelins now and remaining tread is about 6/32 all around. Not great, but better than the Contis. I have a digital tire depth gage that is useful for periodic tread wear checking, since it seems to be something to keep an eye on.

Here's a helpful hint: if your tire shop rotates the tires, be sure they don't switch front and rear: they are different sizes. I caught my guy putting the front tires on the rear and I made him stop. You have to everyone's thinking for them these days.

Waldek | 15 luglio 2017

@lilbean, really 10k and need to replace tires? and you say normal 20" continetals? oh come on... do you have them aired only 20 psi or something? I had last year nearly 50k and it looked like it might reach 60k or maybe at least couple thousands more... or just if your tires show a little bit of wear you think it needs to get replaced? :)
I know there was some guy on facebook group recently who thought his tires are still ok when it was showing already metal lol :) but I know my wife when she sees in our old car gas closing to half tank she says "we need gas"... lol... maybe you are like this with tires and your tires are in fact good and can last another 40k?

lilbean | 15 luglio 2017

Walden, Believe me. I'm not happy to hear that or report that to you either. That's what I was told. And no. My tires are not 20 psi. You must not know me and how anal I am. :o)

lilbean | 15 luglio 2017

@Waldek not Walden. Sorry about the typo. I am the only woman I know who has a digital tire gauge, analog tire gauge, a bike pump and an electric tire inflator.

Waldek | 15 luglio 2017

@lilbean alright ;-) so you are a tire girl then... so what happened that your tires need to be changed soon at 10k... really 20" standard all season contis? so weird. I really did 50k on them last year... and rear really would be good for another at least 10k maybe 20k... fronts maybe another 2-5k. so huge difference between what you got and I got last year.

lilbean | 15 luglio 2017

@Waldek, I'm not happy about it. I must have defective tires and my tire shop does not carry replacements. I go to Americas Tire and live in SoCal. It shouldn't be this hard to find replacement tires. I actually haven't driven the car much because of it. I just reached 10k miles after sixteen months of ownership. Any advice about which tires to get would be so helpful. Thank you.

Waldek | 15 luglio 2017

@lilbean I actually got one rear tire flat last year in April a few weeks after taking delivery of MX. Unfortunately it was on a sidewall of the tire so need to replace. not fixable. Tesla had same tires at $450 as replacement and still no road hazard insurance :( so I went to America's Tires and got it there... they had exactly same one. I paid around $370 with taxes and with road hazard insurance... so just in case next time nail in a sidewall I could just use it :-) well, a year later and 50k miles no more flats lol :) so all 4 tires aged really well for me, I got lucky since my MX was repurchased by Tesla I did not need to change tires and got a new replacement car with new tires... so far in 3 months 15k miles and they do look like new... if time to replace I would again go to America's Tires as they give road hazard insurance... Tesla still doesn't ;-( If I need to replace all four I would probably go for Bridgestone...

lilbean | 15 luglio 2017

@waldek, That's my go to tire shop. I love the warranty they provide. For some reason, they told me those tires weren't available. Strange. Makes me wonder if Tesla gave me bad tires.

Waldek | 15 luglio 2017

@lilbean if I were you I would definitely go to Tesla to ask about the tires and have service explain to you what was wrong... I am also SoCal and I kept them mostly at 42-44 psi... sometimes it dropped to 40 (or 38 when cold) but I was putting back to 42 soon... but still same tires one car can do 50k+ miles and other 10k... something doesn't add up here. I am more inland empire and used America's Tires in Menifee. They did not have it in stock a year ago, but after a few hours they found it and ordered for me... 1-2 days and replaced.

lilbean | 15 luglio 2017

Thanks for your advice, @waldek. I keep mine at 43 psi. They would drop to 42 when cold. The problem is that my SC overestimated the tread wear. Smh! I'll definitely check with America's tire like you recommend. Thanks so much!

Solarman004 | 16 luglio 2017

@lilbean, was the wear even on your tires, or more to the inside tread? I have my first annual service next week and I'm now very curious to hear how my 20" ContiSilents are holding up at 13,000 miles.
I used to have my car set to drop to Low suspension at 75 mph, but after seeing almost no change in highway efficiency, I now have it set to Never. There are too many reports of folks with uneven tire wear due to the camber change at Low and Very Low suspension settings.
I agree with the advice to ask the SC what is going on. Unless you have been running in the Baja 500, or drag racing, 10k miles is a very low number to have to replace your Continentals.

lilbean | 16 luglio 2017

@Solarman, My car always drops to low. The wear seems even. I've left the setting because I worry about developing the shudder. What is the best suspension setting? Thank you.

Solarman004 | 16 luglio 2017

I see your dilemma now. I have a 75D and the shudder issues seem very rare as compared to the 90s and 100s, especially the Ps. So I focus more on tread wear and he best setting for that is Normal.
If you are not a driver that likes hard acceleration and pushes the MX, you are at lower risk for the shudder and half-shaft issues. You may want to reset your suspension settings when you get the new tires and see if that helps.
One point of confusion for me, however, is that the folks getting wear problems running in Low, are getting uneven wear...much greater on the inside treads. This doesn't seem to be your case.

lilbean | 16 luglio 2017

I'll check my tread depth again and if I notice more wear on the inner surface, I may set the suspension to normal. Another thing is that I had a suspension problem in the past when it got stuck on very high. I got a message to take in for service. It did resolve after I did a full power off.

sreehyd | 16 luglio 2017

Good discussion, I was using my "S" for almost 4 1/2 yrs in low setting at high way speeds(above 60mph), My original OEM tires lasted until 36k(completely worn out inner side). I wasn't aware of the suspension height variations and "Tread Wear". I am expecting my "X" to be home in next weeks , Will keep in mind all your experiences.

Thank you @Waldek.

Waldek | 16 luglio 2017

@lilbean oh you are driving on low mostly? I have heard it gives just uneven tread wear... but not faster even wear. this is the only difference I see. I have my car always on standard and set "never" to go lower... I was told by service center that this is best course of action if you want to keep your tires longest. But driving on low on standard tires and 10k being told it needs to be replaced soon is insane and something else to be wrong.. or service who told you about your tires was just mistaken and gave you wrong info about your current tires state. People are reporting that driving on 22" tires which (wear much faster) are getting like 10-15k on performance tires... and you are on regular 20"... way to soon if really needs to be changed! I hope someone who told you about your tires condition just made mistake and confused 2 cars or something... and you are still good for another 40k miles.

lilbean | 16 luglio 2017

@Waldek, That would be nice if the tire place was wrong. I measured them myself using the penny method. The SC was off. I'll be getting new measurements when I get my gauge. I'll definitely be setting my suspension to standard now. I just thought the setting was best at low. That would be awesome to get more miles out of my tires. The main reason I wanted to get rid of my hideous minivan was because the flawed run flat tires had to be replaced every ten thousand miles. That got very pricey.

Tropopause | 17 luglio 2017

lilbean,

It's important to differentiate between summer and all-season tires. Which do you have?

lilbean | 17 luglio 2017

I suppose I have all season tires.

Tropopause | 17 luglio 2017

Find out for sure because if you have summer tires it's normal for them to wear out quickly. When you replace them you may elect to purchase all-season tires which will last two or three times as long.

lilbean | 17 luglio 2017

Thanks for the great tip, Tropo!

Waldek | 17 luglio 2017

@lilbean you said you are in Socal so most likely you have regular 20" continentals all seasons. so if they were off you should be good for at least another 30k - this "low" suspension eaten up a bit probably ;-) for now I am gain on a loaner car... I have signature SIG 00012 on 22" I already put nearly 1.5k on them... poor tesla if they don't fix my car soon they might need to replace loaner car tires really soon as these performance tires last like 10k only...

lilbean | 17 luglio 2017

Thanks, @Waldek. I woule be so happy to get that many miles with these tires.

Waldek | 17 luglio 2017

@lilbean I know what you mean. I like the look of dark 22" but I really like durability and longevity of 20" ;-) that's why I chose 20" vs 22"..... oh and range also! such big difference between driving on 22" and 20".... and to be honest I like the look of MX on standard suspension setting or high... on low it seems like it is sitting to low for me at least :) it is more queen looking on standard settings. Good luck on your long range on your 20"! Hope it works well for you... and when time comes get new tires at America's Tires... unless Tesla starts to provide road hazard insurance with tires... and well also Tesla got them at higher price than AT.

Pages