Forums

unexpected traffic warning

unexpected traffic warning

When I started the car yesterday after work, I was greeted by a message that there is a traffic jam on the way home, asking if I wanted it to calculate an alternative route.
The navigation system had no active route, and traffic information was switched off!
On one hand warnings like this are welcome, but on the other hand it leaves you wondering what kind of profiling and data collection goes on behind the scenes. Especially, I would be curious to know if the car triggered the warning by itself, or if it was pushed form a data centre.

TeslaTap.com | 19 agosto 2017

The Traffic on/off option is just the display of traffic on the map. The system is still obtaining traffic information and makes routing choices based on the traffic. The choice to reroute is made locally within your car.

Frank99 | 19 agosto 2017

>>>leaves you wondering what kind of profiling and data collection goes on behind the scenes.

Assume that Tesla is recording and keeping a record of everything you do in the car - time, date, position, speed, etc. The "good" thing that allows is what you ran into - it learned your habits, and knew that you were likely to be heading home, that there was unexpected traffic, and automatically generated a helpful bit of advice for you.

The "bad" thing that allows is for Tesla to track everywhere you go, and sell that information to the highest bidder. Do you go to Home Depot every Saturday morning? Maybe you'll get a customized invitation and discount from Lowe's good for a Saturday morning.

The good thing (if you can call it that) is that this is far less invasive than what your smartphone does - it not only knows your location when you're in the car, but every minute of the day. It knows the contents of all your emails, who you call (and possibly what you say), what websites you visit, what music you listen to, what games you play, and when, what stores you visit (and if you use Android Pay or Apple Pay, what you buy). It knows if you have health problems and what they are by what doctors you go visit. And that's just the phone manufacturer and the service provider - I bought a drone from DJI, and installed the app on my phone to enable controlling it. Turns out, the app runs 100% of the time (whether I'm using it or not), and creates and maintains a continuous link with two servers in China. What does it send to China? Heck if I know, but that's probably why the Army has recently forbidden the operation of DJI drones.

The concept of "privacy" as you and your parents knew it is dead.

reed_lewis | 19 agosto 2017

Every day I drive to work in the morning, and every day I drive home in the evening. The car knows I do this every day (actually Google Maps also knows this), so more than once it has done this for me also.

I actually like it.

ulrichard | 20 agosto 2017

@Frank99 My phone only does a fraction of the spying you describe. It runs ubuntu with open source software exclusively. The same holds true for the rest of my computing devices. I enable data connections only when I need to. I don't use services from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, but only stuff where I have control of my data.
I bought the car only after I knew, how I could disconnect it from the internet. And I was planning on doing just that after seeing how it works for about two weeks. But then it performed so great, that I left it connected. This incident and your comments reminded me of my initial plans.