Forums

Side view mirrors

Side view mirrors

Are these really necessary in a self-driving car? Although not fully self-driving, aren't the existing cameras and lane warning device sufficient to do away with the side view mirrors? Imagine the efficiency and the range extension by eliminating the side view mirrors.

JAD | 29 agosto 2017

They are trying, but not legal to sell a car without them currently.

andy.connor.e | 29 agosto 2017

If a car has the ability to be manually operated, it must have all the essentials of a car without autonomy.

lilbean | 29 agosto 2017

+100 andy.connor.e (The voice of reason, I love your posts!)

finman100 | 29 agosto 2017

would be cool if Elon and team have this pre-built into the Model 3: as soon as legislation allows, the Model 3 mirrors unsnap, flush as the door handles with side rearview cams already in place. The mirrors are of course recyclable and/or a very unique desk paperweight or...

ReD eXiLe ms us | 29 agosto 2017

Tesla, and several other automobile manufacturers, have been attempting to get exterior rearview mirrors eliminated as a requirement for their vehicles since 2014 without success.

andy.connor.e | 30 agosto 2017

I've got your legislation right here. Heres what you do with your mirrors:

https ://i.ytimg.c om/vi/5UochOvc0HY/maxresdefault.jpg

hoffmannjames | 30 agosto 2017

Not sure why regulators insist on cars keeping the side mirrors. They provide a limited view and can create dangerous blind spots, especially if the driver does not adjust them correctly. A rear camera can provide a much better view with less or no blind spots and there is no need to adjust the angle. Cameras are clearly superior to side mirrors.

Agreed cameras are superior. I dont know if this is true, this is just my take on it:

Cameras rely on a solid connection, electrical reliability and that all of the components working together to have this camera display for you. Whereas, the mirror is reflecting light constantly. The only time a mirror doesnt work is when the mirror is covered by something. Theres no electrical failure to worry about. Its a 100% guarantee that the mirror will work 100% of the time. I dont know though.... Legislation could just be behind the times, and not up to date with todays technology.

Rutrow | 30 agosto 2017

andy.connor.e, I read your last post, then went to copy the photo linked by an earlier poster,

https://i.ytimg.
com/vi/5UochOvc0HY/maxresdefault.jpg

as the perfect example to counter your argument "It(')s a 100% guarantee that the mirror will work 100% of the time." only to find that it was YOU who posted the broken mirror photo!?!

A broken rear view camera would be handled the same way a broken mirror is handled. You'd drive without it until you get it fixed. The broken mirror in your photo is just as useless as an inoperable camera.

wtf?

I posted that picture as a joke in regards to "what to do when the legislation passes".

In otherwords, "that picture" is what you do to your mirror when they pass legislation to say side mirrors are no longer required. Just a joke man calm down..

jordanrichard | 30 agosto 2017

andy +1. So if everyone think we should get rid of the side mirrors because they are not need, well hell, lets get rid of the windshield and all of the windows. We have cameras that can see out for us because camera work 100% of the time and the visibility is always crystal clear.............

now you're thinking

I mean just think of the weight savings by replacing all the heavy glass with a thin sheet of metal. Then there is reduction in insurance costs because now you won't need glass coverage.

Im only joking. But aside from jokes, i imagine it will eventually be like getting on a single passenger train. It wont even matter if you can see forward. You're the passenger.

Yes, eventually once self driving tech matures, cars will become windowless pods.

ron369 | 30 agosto 2017

I don't think that side-view mirrors are unnecessary, and without some kind of replacement, I find them absolutely essential for driving. I don't use them to see what is behind me, but what is beside me. I have my side view mirrors pointed "wide" so I can clearly see what is in my blind spots without having to shoulder check. I still shoulder check when actually changing lanes, but with the side view mirrors I can see what is on my side with just a quick peripheral glance.

That being said, I can see them being obsoleted by better technology. My Prius has blind-spot detectors that light up when something is sitting in my blind spot, and my Odyssey has a side-view camera that I can use for looking at what is in the blind spot. Once the technology is perfected, Tesla's side cameras and ultrasound detectors are a much better solution than side-view mirrors.

ron

lol. they are necessary if you're driving. The intent here was to say eventually they will be unnecessary. Refer to the first few comments.

Rutrow | 30 agosto 2017

Elon tweeted* "By 2019 all the windows will be replaced with transparent aluminum"

*lie

topher | 30 agosto 2017

""By 2019 all the windows will be replaced with transparent aluminum"

We are getting white sapphire windows?!?! Awesome.

Thank you kindly.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 30 agosto 2017

jordanrichard: Someone nearly beat me to this, but... The transparent aluminum windows will appear before the windowless pods. Just in time, too. :-D

ron369 | 30 agosto 2017

@andy.connor.e ... it is true that the OP said self-driving cars, but other comments in the thread were saying they are unnecessary now. And I actually agree that they could be obsoleted even now, but they need to be replaced by something else that gives the driver (or the self driving car) good visibility on the sides of the car.

I wonder how much energy is actually wasted from wind resistance due to the side view mirrors. I wouldn't have thought that much, but I also wouldn't have guessed that aero hub caps would make much of a difference either.