Forums

Where is the spedometer?

Where is the spedometer?

I saw a video last night of the model 3 and it did not look like it had a HUD. Please tell me that you don't have to keep glancing at the center console screen to see your speed.

dsvick | 12 ottobre 2017

Correct there is no HUD. There is only the center screen and the speed and other pertinent information will be displayed on the side of the display closest to the driver. Yes, you will need to look at the screen in order to see the speed, the same as you would need to look at normal dashboard to see the speed.

andy.connor.e | 12 ottobre 2017

Thats right. Welcome to the stage complaint of the century since 3/31/16.

mos6507 | 12 ottobre 2017

These complaints ain't going away anytime soon.

finman100 | 12 ottobre 2017

please tell me you have experienced the Model 3 FROM BEHIND THE WHEEL and THEN complain. THAT would make sense. give me a break. Please decide to hate something in a big-ticket item from just pictures and videos. REALLY?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 12 ottobre 2017

The speedometer is in the same place it has been since the Model 3 Unveil on March 31, 2016. The upper left corner of the 15" display. God. 2... 3... 4... Damn.

burdogg | 12 ottobre 2017

um, I am pretty sure the op has been here many times and has known this - this seems more like to stir the pot again :) Good try, but no. And no it is not going away - Tesla is not changing it - can you all wake up to that? If not, move on please.

I may have misspoke - the op has been around at least the forums, not sure on the 3 side, so I should give benefit of the doubt, but still would be surprised did not know this, let alone look a couple posts down to see the answer :)

andy.connor.e | 12 ottobre 2017

Unholy ignorance.

Maximillian | 12 ottobre 2017

i thought the 3 didn't have a speedometer and you were supposed to just guess your speed based on previous driving experience

socaldave | 12 ottobre 2017

Chip installed on the inside of your eyelids. Close your eyes and you can see you speed. It's foolproof.

Xerogas | 12 ottobre 2017

Local, state, and federal governments have waived speed limits for Model 3. There is no need to know your speed, because you're never going to be ticketed for speeding.

ng0 | 12 ottobre 2017

hahaha @xerogas if only that were true!

After having sat in the car, I actually don't think having to look slightly right to see the speedometer will be a big deal. Either way, I plan to turn on autopilot on the freeways most of the time.

rgrant | 12 ottobre 2017

Are these first time drivers that are constantly monitoring their speedos? I guess they’re the same folks that never use their mirrors because that would involve “glancing away”.

I picture them grimly clutching the wheel, white-knuckled, while their head bobs up down while keeping close tabs on the road ahead and the speedometer :)

prsist | 12 ottobre 2017

Post your question at Tesla Motors Club: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/model-3.137/ That way people could post pictures showing you that instrument clusters mounted in the center of the dashboard is not uncommon. Or just Google it.

Yodrak. | 12 ottobre 2017

"Are these first time drivers that are constantly monitoring their speedos? ...
while their head bobs up down while keeping close tabs on the road ahead and the speedometer :)"

So that's where the idea for those bobble heads I see on dashboards comes from!

hoffmannjames | 12 ottobre 2017

The speed in the Model 3 is in the top left corner of the screen. It appears to be very close to the steering wheel, and still in the peripheral vision of the driver. So I don't see what the problem is. You won't be taking your eyes off the road to see your speed in the Model 3.

SUN 2 DRV | 12 ottobre 2017

Who needs a speedo anyway... either just go with the flow of traffic or let TACC handle it...

And I think the speedo in my MS is way off anyway. It always seems to read high by about 15-20 MPH. ;-)

Rutrow | 12 ottobre 2017

SUN, have you got it set to kph? :-)

speedo - who needs a speedo - I sure don't, I look much better in the nude when I swim :)

coolnewworld | 12 ottobre 2017

The pedometer is on your smartphone. I'm assuming that's what you meant. You're welcome.

TheChad | 12 ottobre 2017

The model 3 actually comes with a complimentary stop watch. It has d = r/t on the back of it.

Xerogas | 12 ottobre 2017

Please tell me that you don't have to keep glancing at the binnacle screen behind the steering wheel to see your speed. See what I did there?

Glancing down occasionally is no different than glancing sideways occasionally. Same angle of motion, same time away from the road. And god forbid you glance up to the rearview mirror every once in a while.

Oh, and I've never, ever, driven a car that lets me see the speedo without having to duck my head around the steering wheel. I, for one, will be glad to have an unobstructed speedo for once.

RedShift | 12 ottobre 2017

Then get the HUD. You don't have to look down, you will gazing straight ahead.

NoMoPetrol | 13 ottobre 2017

Tesla has once again delivered something revolutionary - the acronym ESGD (Eyes Side-Glancing Display)

dyefrog | 13 ottobre 2017

Xero;
Perfect response. I'm looking forward to having it moved from behind my steering wheel. If the speedo was always in the center and Tesla moved it to behind the steering wheel, imagine the outcry.

jordanrichard | 13 ottobre 2017

Aside from us pre-AP MS owners, no one here and obviously the Model 3, actually has a "speedometer" as in a sweeping needle on a numerical scale. You have a digital speed readout.

PhillyGal | 13 ottobre 2017

What are these speed limits you all speak of? That funny looking high number on a sign that I'd love to be able to drive on my commute while we're really traveling an average of 12 mph through traffic?

jordanrichard | 13 ottobre 2017

PG since you are here and sorry to others for this being waaaaaay off topic, but congrats on the news. I saw your Tweet.

PhillyGal | 13 ottobre 2017

@jr - Thanks a ton!!
That pic was SUPPOSED to have a blue Model 3 in it, to really showcase the family but alas, no such luck.

psusi | 16 ottobre 2017

Having driven a roadster back in the day, and owning a Model X, I can not imagine that I will find the lack of a speedometer on the dash acceptable. I guess I have to wait for the local SC to get one to test drive, but this is a big turn off.

RedPillSucks | 16 ottobre 2017

+1 @Xerogas
I was annoyed by the lack of a center console or HUD also, but yielded to that logic.
Also, with the HUD, you still have to refocus, cause the focus distance of the display is never quite where you're looking.

Haggy | 16 ottobre 2017

I didn't think I'd find it acceptable either and was hoping that the final reveal would show something since Tesla said it would all make sense after the second reveal. I don't buy the line that it has to do with FSD because a significant number of buyers won't get that feature. But after having more than a year to think about it, I don't think the difference in head movement between looking to the side and looking down is all that much. I'll know when I see it.

davem2421 | 17 ottobre 2017

Elon tweeted the other day that every Model 3 comes with a pair of Google Glasses so you don't have to use your peripheral vision to see the speed limit. I mean, really who NEVER looks at the center console screen in any other car looking at GPS or radio stations.

Xerogas | 17 ottobre 2017

I'm so glad they settled on Google Glasses, because Oculus Rift would be pretty annoying. Or cool, if it provides 360 unobstructed views via the external cameras!

WantMY | 17 ottobre 2017

Agreed with other posters sighting you need to glance around your side mirrors, rear view mirror, so center console is not an issue here. Luck of attention when driving, maybe?