Forums

OCDetailing has another Model 3 video, showing off AP

OCDetailing has another Model 3 video, showing off AP

OCDetailing has another video of the Model 3, this time, showing off some nice driving with AP:
http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-driving-impressions-cruise-contro...

"According to Joe who recorded his Tesla Model 3 driving experience while taking the vehicle to the Fremont factory Supercharger, Tesla’s long range, all-electric sedan feels very nimble to drive and sporty in nature. Joe notes that steering felt heavy when the steering setting was in Sport mode, yet it was able to maintain a responsive feel. Suspension felt stiff like a sports car and acceleration felt snappy. At one point Joe is seen performing a short acceleration test of the Model 3 as he merges onto the freeway.

Joe also points out Model 3’s Autopilot stalk which he describes to be in an awkward location, after accidentally setting the car to neutral while attempting to engage TACC. In addition, he brings to light that several Model 3 features are still in development and have yet to be rolled out through over-the-air software updates. Case in point is the steering wheel buttons that currently do not control anything beyond steering wheel and side mirror adjustments, says Joe."

hoffmannjames | 18 ottobre 2017

I guess I was too quick to post. He does not use AP for very long but he does talk about it and show what the car is like actually driving it.

KP in NPT | 18 ottobre 2017

It's entirely possible the AP wasn't working because the cameras aren't calibrated yet.

@KP true. He had no lanes at all on the screen which would seem to indicate that the AP was not calibrated.

The Model 3 does seem like a very easy and fun car to drive.

maintreqd | 18 ottobre 2017

What is required to calibrate the cameras, do we know? Is there a "break in" period of sorts, similar to what you hear about with ICE cars, where the car has to spend a certain number of miles driving before it will perform optimally? Or is there a manual process you need to perform to calibrate them?

maintreqd - on the S I believe it's 50 miles of driving on straight roads. Some people get it sooner, some later. Once the car has done that, you will see the steering wheel icon on the screen indicating that AP is available.

*straight roads with good lane markings.

@maintreqd With the Model S, the calibration happens automatically after driving a certain number of miles.

hgpayne | 18 ottobre 2017

I spoke with a Model 3 owner and she said after a recent update, she had to drive 50 miles to retrain the AP system. She further said it does better on roads it knows, like her route to work. On roads she hasn't driven on before, it's a bit more jerky. She said she LOVES auto pilot. She also said for ti to work, you must have a hand on the upper part of the steering wheel. Putting a thumb over the bottom of the wheel will get you a warning.

Iwantmy3 | 18 ottobre 2017

The cruise control doesn't appear to be adaptive cruise control. Adaptive cruise control should be a basic requirement as a safety issue. Non adaptive CC is a safety hazard.

In this video, AP was not active. TACC is tied to AP. Once AP is calibrated, it will have TACC.

Rutrow | 18 ottobre 2017

In this video Joe only said that the RIGHT steering wheel button didn't do anything except adjust the steering wheel and mirrors. He showed in a previous video that the left one controlled the stereo volume and station/track selection as the default.

Frank99 | 18 ottobre 2017

>>>Non adaptive CC is a safety hazard.
Really? Then how do you feel about not using CC at all?

That opinion is a bit over the edge, IMHO.

TexasBob | 18 ottobre 2017

Overall really encouraging but Joe seemed to be a bit unhappy with turning radius or did I misunderstand that? I would have thought this little car would be quite agile in parking lots etc. but Joe seemed to indicate you will see "a lot of 3 point and 4 point turns" to get into parking spaces.

Honestly, based on the breadth of Joe's videos, he is an unreliable source to me. So take everything he says with a grain of salt.

garyjtate | 18 ottobre 2017

Was wondering on Tesla Nav do you get audio alerts? Such as turn left in 600 yds.

Yes, you do.

garyjtate | 18 ottobre 2017

@KP
thx

RSavage_92024 | 18 ottobre 2017

@KP
+100 grains of salt !

rgrant | 18 ottobre 2017

Joe seemed a bit twitchy with the steering wheel!