Forums

The Model 3 Tesla Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (MVPA)

The Model 3 Tesla Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (MVPA)

I was looking over my Model 3 MVPA and noticed how my car is being built for the masses and not specifically for me. In fact, I believe the car I’m getting is already built. This is quite different than when I “custom” ordered my 85D back in November, 2014. It seems Tesla is stockpililing Model 3’s in a location in LA and preparing for implementation of their new delivery system.

The reason I say it’s not built for me comes from my MVPA. Here’s the relevant statement, “Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery.”

So my car is more than likely sitting in LA being matched to my simple configuration. Once they locate a vehicle (notice lower case v) they match it to my not overly unique Vehicle Configuration and it becomes my upper case Vehicle. Now I understand!

TESLA CA | 5 dicembre 2017

I happen to agree with your statement, you have a very valid point! As Tesla has been stockpiling several dozens of the M3s at their new location in Marina Marina del Ray facility.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 5 dicembre 2017

I always associate the word 'stockpiling' with weapons caches for some reason.

mntlvr23 | 5 dicembre 2017

.... representatives are walking around the delivery hub in the dark, as we speak, searching for the perfect one for you that matches your color and wheel choice ....

any minute now ...

JustSaying | 5 dicembre 2017

Manage to deliver in 2017 just enough Tesla cars (from inventory) , to qualify all that all "ramped up" 2018 quarter 1 and 2 production qualify for a potential $7,500 tax credit? That's a bet l would rent a parking lot for 30 days for.
I am not sure if has publicly disclosed/estimated how close to 200,000 US deliveries will be by 12/31/17.

greg | 5 dicembre 2017

"I always associate the word 'stockpiling' with weapons caches for some reason."

And also high level nuclear waste?
The sort that needs seclusion for a long long time.

dmunjal | 6 dicembre 2017

They aren't close to 200K US deliveries at all and they won't be able to ship enough Model 3s to hit that before the end of the year. Plus, the tax rebate is likely going away in January 2018 so I don't think that's what Tesla is doing.

JAD | 6 dicembre 2017

There were hundreds if not thousands of options on a Model S, with all the colors and wheels and Interiors and packages where there are only about 15 physical combinations for the model 3. Much more efficient to stockpile with very few choices, or more accurately to build an efficient groups.

Haggy | 6 dicembre 2017

The only difference is whether they assign a VIN to you before or after they make the car. Once orders went through, it came down to how many cars to paint in any given color. All that matters is picking one of those with the wheels you want. It doesn't matter which one. Since Tesla knows how many of each should get which wheels, it's more relevant to plan to get a certain number to each delivery center than to worry about which particular identical vehicle gets to you. If there are two otherwise identical vehicles, it would make little sense to pick which one goes where by VIN instead of by optimal logistics.

I've had a custom vehicle made where the Mulroney label had my name on it, but Tesla didn't do that even when you could pick and choose each option to a very granular level.

Haggy | 6 dicembre 2017

The only difference is whether they assign a VIN to you before or after they make the car. Once orders went through, it came down to how many cars to paint in any given color. All that matters is picking one of those with the wheels you want. It doesn't matter which one. Since Tesla knows how many of each should get which wheels, it's more relevant to plan to get a certain number to each delivery center than to worry about which particular identical vehicle gets to you. If there are two otherwise identical vehicles, it would make little sense to pick which one goes where by VIN instead of by optimal logistics.

I've had a custom vehicle made where the Monroney label had my name on it, but Tesla didn't do that even when you could pick and choose each option to a very granular level.

Bluesday Afternoon | 6 dicembre 2017

Feel free to substitute the term stockpile with inventory.

@dmunjal

I don't believe Tesla is trying to collect inventory for December deliveries due to the tax credit situation.

@Haggy

I totally agree and I would be surprised to hear our VIN is attached before placed into inventory. It's like someone had a list of inventory and walked into the back of the dealership with the customer to select their car. The big difference is I'm not taking the stroll with the salesman and dealing with the stealership.

Madatgascar | 6 dicembre 2017

I don’t mind to take a stroll through the stockpile and pick one. I’ll even do the vehicle prep. Where is this stockpile?

Ubah Goobah | 6 dicembre 2017

Interesting points, and I the stockpiling idea seems feasible. However, their ability to stockpile at the new Marina delivery center is limited--the lots at there are not large. I drive by there 3x a week for reasons unrelated to my irrational desire to have my Model 3 now (really). There were rows and rows of Model 3s there outside last night. I got hopeful that so many Model 3 had been built and were just waiting to be connected with its owner somewhere in SoCal...

My very, very rough estimate (based on a night-time drive-by, so very unreliable) would be that there were 100-200 unwrapped Model 3s in one of the lots last night. The west lot is filled almost entirely with Model 3s (a line of Model S's are parked in the row along the 90 side of the lot, but almost everything else looked like Model 3s). The east lot is mostly empty--it looks like it's currently employee parking, as there were about 5 non-Teslas scattered around the lot. Another 100 or so would fit there if they filled that lot. Plus, there is a huge building there, but who knows if there's anything inside.

So... I like the stockpiling idea, but even so, the numbers are small--a few hundred, not a few thousand, sadly.

I'm not trying to be negative--just sharing so we can all better gauge when we can expect delivery. It looks like it will be a slow stream, not a big wave. My delivery estimator still says Nov.-Jan. for first production (non-owner, east cost line stander, SoCal resident & delivery, no invite yet), and I'm still hopeful to be taking delivery by Jan.!

Bluesday Afternoon | 6 dicembre 2017

@Ubah Goobah

There may be multiple inventory (stockpile) locations. Perhaps one in Orange County and/or San Diego that we are not aware of yet. Good luck on your order.

noleaf4me | 7 dicembre 2017

Of course they are building to stock - with no real options -- that is the smart thing to do.

2015P90DI | 7 dicembre 2017

I noticed the same thing when I placed my order. I remember suggesting a while back that it would be nice if Tesla held off on selling the Model 3 until they could get a bunch of them out the door in a short period of time, rather than release 200, 400, 800 a month. The reason being, the tax credit. Once Tesla hits the cap, they have six months to get as many cars delivered and those customers able to take advantage of the full tax credit.

I don't know the exact number, but know they're getting close. So the point being, if they hit the cap and could only deliver 2,000 more cars in the following six months, not many would get the credit. However, if they stock piled the cars and released them all at once, then maybe 20,000 or 30,000 customers could take advantage of the credit.

Sounds to me, like that's what's happening. Appears more and more are getting their invitations, which coincidentally coincides with January deliveries. Early in the quarter. Likely the cap will be hit this quarter, so they'll have the full six months to get as many cars delivered.

So, giving Tesla credit, accurate or not, will say Tesla is doing this on behalf of the customers. Rather than inflating their own quarterly numbers by a few hundred cars, appears they may be helping thousands upon thousands of customers to be able to benefit from the tax credit.

ataway1 | 7 dicembre 2017

My original delivery estimate was Nov-Jan (3/31/16 online RSVP at start of THE SHOW, CA resident, not yet a happy Tesla owner)... Then just over a month ago, or so, it was revised to Jan-Mar...Hoping someday soon I'll get to read my M3 MVPA.

Also hoping the tax credit will not be erased by lawmakers, or a sub-$50k MS 85 CPO shows up that lasts online more than 5 minutes (slowly lost patience over the last nearly 2 years, "I want my Tesla!"). Anyway, since early vehicles to be delivered will be long range with premium package, that makes it quite easy to fulfill orders from stockpiles...match "vehicle" color/wheels and then they update software accordingly to make it your "Vehicle"!

Can't....wait....much....longer.....

[Hey, will I get to drive one before accepting delivery?]

You're correct @ataway1.

Now that I think about it, EVERY MODEL 3, except color, is exactly the same. We have no choices. The only thing is, what wheels will they install on the car and will they activate EAP and/or FSD? Knew the choices were limited, but hadn't really thought it out to realize that they are really, really limited, effectively to just the color of the car. Anything else can be changed at delivery.

Makes me wonder, maybe all the cars come to the Tesla Stores unpainted and they just wrap them in vinyl based on color choice needed!

jordanrichard | 8 dicembre 2017

and the activation of EAP/FSD could certainly presumably be done at the service center.

For years that's the way most imports were built. Options were often termed as "dealer installed", like AC. All the plumbing was put in at the factory, but all that was missing was the compressor, condenser and the AC switch in the dash. This enabled them to save time at the factory, plus lower the price of the car coming into the country which meant lower tariffs.

KP in NPT | 8 dicembre 2017

Totally agree (believe) your car has already been built, @Simply Red - I'm guessing that the configurator is a guideline for them to what to build but that actual VIN is assigned later. I guess we'll find out Monday if they have a "delivery event" at the Marina Del Ray facility.

Curious there hasn't been anything about any other delivery facilities, outside of CA. Those should be starting "soon" - in the next couple/few months, I'd think - or hope.

Coastal Cruiser. | 8 dicembre 2017

Don't forget all about all that warehouse space Tesla leased in the Bay Area last year.

They're not stockpiling candy bars there. Nor weapons. Nor fissionable material. ;>

sosmerc | 8 dicembre 2017

Could someone post the address of that parking lot? I'd like to go to Google Maps and see what it looks like from a satellite view :).........

andy.connor.e | 8 dicembre 2017

@sosmerc

Not telling you not to check, but if its new its probably not updated imagery to show it yet.

TabascoGuy | 8 dicembre 2017

@andy - good point.

@sosmerc -Google Maps satellite view shows a truck in my driveway that I sold two years ago.

www.google.com/maps/@33.9828667,-118.4305576,240m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Sorry @sosmerc there are no cars in this view...

Carl Thompson | 8 dicembre 2017

You just need to use the Konami code which gives you the Google Earth _live_ feed!

Bluesday Afternoon | 8 dicembre 2017

I didn't know Google had cheat codes.

@Tobasco

n00b

@andy

Yup

sosmerc | 8 dicembre 2017

Nice looking tennis courts behind the building.....but no cars in sight :)...........

Maybe Tesla didnt actually build it! Google said!

frederick | 8 dicembre 2017

Can second @sosmerc. Went by yesterday, no more M3's in the lot.

Haggy | 8 dicembre 2017

Considering that my VIN is in the mid three digit range, while I can't rule out that it hasn't been built yet, there are certainly many with much higher VINs that were built a while ago.

JustSaying | 8 dicembre 2017

My Google maps shows the pool man is at my house and I don't have pool!

Joys4me | 9 dicembre 2017

Why do you think Apple does and every other major product....it is called “inventory”.....that is a good thing.