Forums

ORDER PLACED, despite uncertainty!

ORDER PLACED, despite uncertainty!

Well, I still haven't decided if I'll be happy with the Model 3 after coming from a Model S.

I like all the features on a Model S. I like having the center gauge just because I like having that information visible at all times.

I'm not sure about the lack of a key fob and being forced to use my phone or the key car.

Not sure how actual every day use of having to do everything on the center screen will be. I'm one that prefers getting to what I need in as few of taps as possible. With the Model 3, everything is on the same screen, so that means switching back and forth to get to the things you need.

I love that it's a smaller car than the Model S, works better for my needs.

Car certainly looks better in person than in photos. Still not crazy about the very plain interior, but it is what it is and I'll get used to it (I'll have to).

The beauty of Tesla, despite my being one that LOVES CHOICES and unsure how happy I'll be with the Model 3, I still am forking over nearly $60,000 to buy the car anyway.

I like my luxury features and am a tech geek, so I know I'll miss those things. But, Tesla has two things that make any other choice impossible......

1. Auto Pilot (must have for me)
2. Charging infrastructure (being that I can't drive a gas car again after being spoiled with the Model S, an EV is my only option and at this time, Tesla is the ONLY manufacturer with the ability to travel and charge, hence there is no other choice if you want an EV).

Those two things alone outweigh things that the car is lacking. Lacking, meaning things that I would personally prefer my car have, but Tesla doesn't).

I've loved my Model S and despite giving up on some of the luxury I'm used to, I don't feel like it's been a sacrifice and have no disappointments in driving the Model S. Am giving up even more with the Model 3, but am keeping my Model S, so if I don't like the Model 3, I can always sell it.

I was still on the fence, but Tesla made my decision for me by sending me an e-mail that my car was ready to configure. Took me all of 5 minutes to configure the car and place the deposit. I guess after I get it, I'll decide if I'm happy with it. I'm the perfect Tesla customer!!! LOL. (Willing to buy sight unseen, willing to pay up front and willing to take a chance).

I think I'll be satisfied, if not, then the car will go up for sale, simple as that.

Frank99 | 7 dicembre 2017

Congratulations. After you've driven a bit, revisit this thread and let us know how your concerns are faring.

riverFox | 7 dicembre 2017

Cool :)

ccsccs7 | 7 dicembre 2017

Nice. Looking forward to updates. :)

burdogg | 7 dicembre 2017

So why a 3 over an S? Is it just size?

andy.connor.e | 7 dicembre 2017

less than half the price?

Thought that, but sounds like he can afford it and is compromising on things he already has and wants. So I was just curious ;)

2015P90DI | 7 dicembre 2017

Primarily size. I love the Model S, but it is a big car. For the driving I do in my business, it can be difficult at times. The Model 3, size wise is perfect. My original hope, when first placing the deposit a year and a half ago, was that the Model 3 would be to the Model S what a BMW 3 Series is to a 5 Series (same car, just smaller). In terms of appearance, Tesla hit the nail on the head. Just not sure about the other sacrifices they made? Would have been perfect, in my opinion, if you could get all the features of a Model S on the Model 3 (for a price of course). Meaning, I like the auto door handles, center cluster, sun roof, etc. Appears that the only real difference, in terms of features and appearance is with the interior. But that is where we spend all our time when driving, so it will be interesting to see how I feel once I'm in it every day.

andy.connor.e | 7 dicembre 2017

No kidding. I'd choose MS over M3. Not in the budget.

Bluesday Afternoon | 7 dicembre 2017

@2015P90DI

Congrats. I may have missed your info. Could you fill in the specifics:

Please List following:
Current Owner: Y/N
Approximate Location:
When Reserved:
When Configured:
What options (color, wheels, etc):
How long been a current owner:
Do you have a specific delivery date:
If so, what is your delivery date:

Thanks

Sounds good - I think many were expecting it to be smaller than it is too, while still smaller than an S, I think it is bigger than many thought it would be.

rxlawdude | 7 dicembre 2017

So far, I've seen two posts about getting invitation to configure today, one here and one on M3OC. Unless "joe" there is 2015P90DL here, but "joe" has an X. Not a former wife or GF X. :-)

markr7 | 7 dicembre 2017

IMHO - When spending 10's of thousands of dollars for a car, you should absolutely be in love with the car; You should be up at night dreaming of when it will arrive... What I am hearing is, I don't like that it's missing this, I don't like the interior, I don't like the screen, I don't like having to use my phone as the key... Sounds to me like the M3 is not for you? Sounds like you are "settling" for what they are offering. If those things bother you a little bit now, they will really bother you in a few months.

Carl Thompson | 7 dicembre 2017

@markr7:
"IMHO - When spending 10's of thousands of dollars for a car, you should absolutely be in love with the car; You should be up at night dreaming of when it will arrive..."

You sound like you are young! As I've gotten older I don't get that excited feeling anymore but I can still feel satisfied by a purchase.

"What I am hearing is, I don't like that it's missing this, I don't like the interior, I don't like the screen, I don't like having to use my phone as the key... Sounds to me like the M3 is not for you? Sounds like you are 'settling' for what they are offering. If those things bother you a little bit now, they will really bother you in a few months."

Yes, they probably still will bother us after we have the car. But those are only a few things. There are many far more important things that make this a great car and the car will still be the best EV most of us have ever owned. So we'll still be satisfied even if there is some small room for improvement.

SamO | 7 dicembre 2017

Don't worry. Be happy.

Frank99 | 7 dicembre 2017

markr7 -
With those criteria, I'd never be able to buy a car. There hasn't been one yet that got all the details right...IMHO.

Haggy | 7 dicembre 2017

I'd pick a new Model S over a new Model 3, but comparing a new Model 3 to an older Model S isn't quite the same. I have some features with the Model S that the Model 3 doesn't have, but the Model 3 will have the latest generation of Autopilot/FSD capability, as well as a bigger range and quicker acceleration than my generation of Model S. In real life I can't remember the last time I floored it, so I can't say that I really need more acceleration though. The Model S has more room, a big front trunk that newer ones lack, and at least for now I'm used to a larger display. Plus there's free supercharging, making me wonder if I'll really need the range of the Model 3. Then again, I paid for it so a few dollars more for a rare supercharger use shouldn't be a deal breaker. I guess once I have both I'll be in a better position to judge one vs another. I don't expect the Model 3 to ever be a Model S, but I might find myself wondering what I would have bought, had the Model 3 existed when I got my Model S.

noleaf4me | 7 dicembre 2017

I'm sure there will be people lining up to buy it if you decide to sell it...

Coastal Cruiser. | 7 dicembre 2017

Simply Red, I saw what you did there.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 7 dicembre 2017

Liar, liar, pants alight.

2015P90DI | 7 dicembre 2017

@markr7 | December 7, 2017
IMHO - When spending 10's of thousands of dollars for a car, you should absolutely be in love with the car; You should be up at night dreaming of when it will arrive... What I am hearing is, I don't like that it's missing this, I don't like the interior, I don't like the screen, I don't like having to use my phone as the key... Sounds to me like the M3 is not for you? Sounds like you are "settling" for what they are offering. If those things bother you a little bit now, they will really bother you in a few months.

You are 100% correct in that I am settling, technically. But I was settling with the Model S too. The difference is, the two must have items are mandatory now in my book (AP & Supercharging). So, there's really no alternative at this point. Sure I would love the Model 3 to have more features from the S or X, would also love the Model S to have more luxury features, for my own personal taste. But as I noted with the Model S, despite some sacrifices, I've never regretted the decision, love the car. So, while it would be nice to have more, I'm not at all unhappy with it. I do hope that holds true for the Model 3, being that it sacrifices even more without the option to add features from the S to 3 like you can with 3 Series BMW. Tesla is Tesla, no comparison. Fortunately the positives out weigh all else to leave me happy overall, with the Model S. It's a different car than any other, so anything we feel were missing only comes as result of being used to something from old ways of doing things with most manufacturers. When going Tesla, you simply have to reprogram your thinking, start fresh and think of what your getting, not what your missing. Then, once you've had the Tesla, ask yourself if you could give up what Tesla offers to go back to another manufacturer? Clearly my answer is NO. I'm stuck with Tesla until other manufacturers offer something comparable. I think most Tesla owners are. Once you've had Tesla, you never go back!!! The difference here is, going from a Model S to a Model 3. I want the smaller car, but is it worth sacrificing the features of the Model S? That I have to figure out. Time will tell. The car is on it's way, so no turning back now. Fortunately I have the luxury of keeping the Model S and can always sell the Model 3 if that's what it comes to.

Xerogas | 7 dicembre 2017

@2015P90DI

Congrats. I may have missed your info. Could you fill in the specifics:

Please List following:
Current Owner: Y/N
Approximate Location:
When Reserved:
When Configured:
What options (color, wheels, etc):
How long been a current owner:
Do you have a specific delivery date:
If so, what is your delivery date:

Thanks

burdogg | 8 dicembre 2017

he is on the official update thread - you can find it there :)

He did say he wanted round wheels, which I find depressing and boring - I want the square ones.