Forums

Anybody has Model 3 battery high discharging rate problem

Anybody has Model 3 battery high discharging rate problem

I have driven model 3 for a couple of weeks, and I found the battery discharging rate is much higher than model-s. For example, one day when I parked the car in garage I noticed the battery has range capacity of 162 miles, but the second day at noon time I noticed it dropped to 158 miles. This kind discharging rate has been happening for one week, does anyone have similar problems?

Thanks,

stevea137 | 2 marzo 2018

That sounds about right. That vampire loss on the M3 is about 3-4 miles a day (this is the amount of energy the car uses while it is 'off'). There is another thread on the front page about this with the misleading title of 'battery degradation'.

vmulla | 2 marzo 2018

It seems to be normal. I'm loosing a few miles overnight. I read somewhere that with Model 3 it is recommended to have 20% battery charge if you leave the car over a week at the long term parking. To me that implies a slow discharge is expected. It's such a small drain that it does not bother me. We're talking 1 mile losd over 6hrs. Meh!

vmulla | 2 marzo 2018

And thanks to Stevea137 I leaned something new :)

Bighorn | 2 marzo 2018

high discharge rate?!

rdr1rx | 2 marzo 2018

High (discharge)? No.

Normal? Yes.

Haggy | 2 marzo 2018

I found that it's 2-4 miles a day now, and lower than the Model S.

swanson21 | 2 marzo 2018

So If I was planning on only driving a few miles/week, I may actually be doing more harm to the environment by owning this EV vrs an ICE as it would drain 2-4 miles or about 1000-1500 watts of electricity/day sitting in the garage?

jamilworm | 2 marzo 2018

If you only go a few miles a week I think you would save a TON of money by just using Uber or equivalent.

Bighorn | 2 marzo 2018

Get a bicycle unless this is Joe Swanson.

DMSDesign | 2 marzo 2018

This is what UI posted on the other thread. My Model 3 looses about 3-4 miles over 24 HOUR period. Here is what the owners manual says: "On average, the Battery discharges at a rate of <1% per week with energy saving mode ON and <3% per week with energy saving mode OFF." The other problem here is it talks about the energy saving mode. The owners manual says the M3 has one, but it is not there. Tesla thinks it will be part of a future update, but no one seems to know for sure. Also if you have say 270 miles of charge, the manual says it is OK to loose up to 3% or 8.1 miles in a week. Currently at 3 miles a day, I am loosing almost 8%. I will be going on a trip in June, and my M3 will sit for a month. with no charging available. So I will loose an estimated 32 miles in a month. I really would like to have the energy mode ability. This same type of thing on Model s units as well.

redacted | 3 marzo 2018

3-4 miles per day is a considerable improvement over the MS, especially in the early days. Probably best to get used to it. If you obsess over that much, may you never own the car in winter.

@swanson21, really?

The most important thing about owning a Tesla is knowing that "loose" means to set something free, whereas "lose" means to be deprived of something, and that no matter how cool you feel in your Tesla you look like a doofus when you confuse the two.

Brian B | 3 marzo 2018

@DMSDesign Is it in a garage or close to a 120V outlet? That should keep it from losing those miles. Or you could 100% max charge before you leave and when you get back it'll be around 90%.

Tesla2018 | 4 marzo 2018

If I am gone for a long time with my ICE, I disconnect the battery or put it on a trickle charger. Would disconnecting the regular 12V battery stop some of the vampire losses if you were going to be gone for a long time and did not have access to any source of power to charge the car?

jefjes | 4 marzo 2018

It would be interesting if someone who has a Tesla and left the 12v battery disconnected could comment on Tesla2018's question. Also if reconnecting the battery requires reprograming anything like driver memory presets or radio presets etc.?

ed.snijder | 24 luglio 2019

At first I had a vampire loss of 7-8 %/day in my M3 that I received March 31, 2019 in the Netherlands. After a few software up-dates it dropped to 4 %/day, still much higher than all other users report here. Since I was not satisfied with this, I went to the Tesla service centre in Eindhoven, where I was told that the 3-4 %/day was normal and that 1 %/day (as the manual says) is only under ideal conditions. Reading now all posts here, makes my wonder which is correct. I will follow up again for a while and go back to Tesla it it remains 4 %/day in my M3, whereas others do have the 1 %/day.

poppap | 24 luglio 2019

Personally, I'm seeing around 6% per day, (0.6mi/hr) which seems to be more than others are getting...

sleitl | 24 luglio 2019

Do you have Sentry Mode active? I have mine set to turn off when I’m at home.

lbowroom | 24 luglio 2019

Sentry mode or cabin overheat protection

TeslaTap.com | 24 luglio 2019

@ed.snijder - lbowroon nailed it. Turn off those features and vampire loss will drop dramatically.

in7 | 25 luglio 2019

I think that the small of amount of battery loss while it's parked is because it's keeping the temperature of the car so it's not too hot and not too cold. Sometimes when I approach the car I can hear some fan noise it's making.

dss | 17 gennaio 2020

I lost about 25 miles /day, but I have just seen that Sentry was on.
Anyway that is 25 miles * 300 Wh/mile = 7,500 Wh. Can sentry take 7.5KWh / day?
I will check again tomorrow to see how much lower is the discharge without the Sentry.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 17 gennaio 2020

Per manual :"The Battery can discharge at a rate of approximately 1% per day, though the discharge rate may vary depending on environmental factors (such as cold weather), vehicle configuration, and your selected settings on the touchscreen"
Here it is your 25 miles. Next

Bighorn | 17 gennaio 2020

Sentry loss of a mile per hour is accepted. A rated mile is not 300 Wh though.

KLemMer | 18 gennaio 2020

Roughly 10 miles loss overnight w/ sentry activated, since it’s parked outside. Passing traffic activates sentry about 10-15 times during the night.

W/o sentry, loss drops to 4-5 miles a night.

ODWms | 19 gennaio 2020

Without Sentry Mode, my usage is about a mile a day.

dss | 1 febbraio 2020

Following up on my January 17, 2020 post: After switching off the Sentry remotely (we were in vacation), the T3 did not wake up for several days, maybe coincidentally. Then, the discharge rate was very low, maybe less than 1mile/day. Also, I figured out that at the time when Sentry was on, the USB flash drive was not properly formatted with exFAT rather than FAT32.

Bighorn | 1 febbraio 2020

@dss
Yep, it's usually something:)

KY | 2 febbraio 2020

My SR+ is 1% drop for 2 days. Disabled all A/C control and Sentry mode.