Forums

How long does it take to make car after VIN is assigned?

How long does it take to make car after VIN is assigned?

I called in and was told last Friday a VIN was assigned to my car. Wondering how long it takes for Tesla to make the car as I am patiently waiting for the Tesla rep to reach out..... Thanks!

AJPHL | 2018年6月12日

Sometimes the car has already been manufactured. The thought is Tesla is actually stockpiling most of their late May through June production to ensure it doesn’t deliver its 200,000th vehicle until Q3, in order to extend the full tax credit. Chances are your car is sitting on a lot somewhere already.

Kathy Applebaum | 2018年6月12日

When I got my VIN, the car was already on the way to the SC. Heard from Tesla 5 days later. But I think AJPHL is on the right track -- normal rules might not apply right now because of the tax credit.

aslekim | 2018年6月12日

When I got my VIN on 06/07 the car was already built and ready for shipping. I live in Northern VA so the car is being delivered first week of July (probably for the tax credit situation)

hchan56 | 2018年6月12日

On June 4, I received an email from Tesla titled 'Scheduled delivery/pickup of Model 3'. Within my email was the the VIN and delivery date & time (June 22, 3pm) and delivery location (Tampa, FL). Other instructions were included, such as ensuring Insurance coverage proof, if transferring plates, informational videos, etc.
So - don't know if my Deep Blue Metallic Model 3 was built already (VIN 26xxx), but the delivery is still within this quarter, so I don't think it's being held for tax credit reasons. Already set up the appointment for full front film protection , window tinting (hot Florida sun!, but not the roof) and ceramic coating. Tesla wall connector is installed. My biggest challenge is getting rid of all the unpacked boxes in my garage (moved from Ohio almost 2 years ago - but had a basement) that are occupying the Tesla parking space. Great motivator!

czamara | 2018年6月12日

After my VIN was assigned, it was just a few days until delivery. But I picked up from Fremont, which has the shortest delivery time.

dani.washburn | 2018年6月12日

@tpeddi I live in Southern VA.. I've just placed the reservation for my M3. Where is your scheduled delivery? I know there are service centers in Richmond and in NoVA

ghalstead | 2018年6月13日

I don't think Tesla is holding cars back until July. They called me and said come in June 30th and pick up your Model 3. Since that was on a Saturday I figured they had found a way in the law to deliver on a Saturday but since it was a weekend report it on Monday July 2nd as being delivered and it would count as a July delivery. This was my theory until a day later they called back and said it was on the road and I could pick it up June 26 and maybe earlier. I am in Richmond, VA with red, sport EAP

Patrick | 2018年6月14日

@hchan56,

We live in Tampa Bay too - hope you enjoy your M3! Won’t get ours until late this year. Who did you select for the film, tinting, coating etc. and have you used them before?

Thx
Pat

mark9226 | 2018年9月17日

Received VIN on Monday and picked up car on Friday. In North Carolina so I am confident the car was on the truck from California or already delivered to the pick up location.

Dsickinger99 | 2018年10月9日

Anyone have the average timeframe from Order Date until VIN publication; getting really anxious for my MX

sal.hashimi | 2019年5月10日

I ordered my m3 on 4/22 and live in Vancouver Canada. When should I expect to pick up the car?

numrich | 2019年5月10日

Just thought I would share my current situation. I am now waiting (past 2 weeks) for a 'new' VIN to be assigned to my order after a prior VIN apparently did not pass an inspection. I believe I was notified near 4/23 on my first assigned VIN with delivery at that time scheduled for 4/30. I had imagined it just take a few days to reassign me a new VIN, thinking an extra effort would be make to account for the cancellation that was not related to any fault of mine.

Still waiting.

lordmiller | 2019年5月10日

Don't dredge up an old thread like this.

Иг | 2019年5月10日

I believe the car is already being made. I was scheduled to get my car on Saturday about 3 weeks after the order. On Friday before the Saturday I got a message that they hadn't assigned a VIN. I got the car the following Tuesday.

ett094 | 2019年9月13日

I got a text to schedule delivery (boston area) and was assigned a vin 5 days later.