Forums

$1000 vs $1500 white/red paint

$1000 vs $1500 white/red paint

Hi,
So ppl said that the new $1500 is not the same as the $1000 one. It has more coatings and better...etc
For those who paid for $1500 recently, how do we know if it's the new paint but not the old $1000 paint when we pick up the car?
Thanks,
Fk

gballant4570 | 2018年6月30日

There is a posting on a recent thread by a fellow who has been a professional paint guy. If you find that and read it, you might understand better. Maybe.....it seemed like good information to me.

Magic 8 Ball | 2018年6月30日

Don't believe strangers on the internet (full stop).

TeslaTap.com | 2018年6月30日

Paint is the same, just the price went up to match the price it's always been for the Model S and X. The red and pearl have always required an additional process over other colors. So in the past, the red and pearl were really a bargain on the 3.

Here's a lot more about Tesla paints, coatings, differences, etc: https://teslatap.com/articles/paint-and-coatings/

fidka | 2018年6月30日

Ah ok....thanks for the info

AMAZEU | 2018年6月30日

I have seen the new and old white side by side. They are definitely different. Have not yet seen a new red so I cannot testify to that.

AJPHL | 2018年6月30日

Tesla told one of the forum users that the formulation was changed. I believe the color names are the same though so don’t think the paint code would change? There’s probably a VIN cut-off beyond which the new formula was used.

roberttown | 2018年6月30日

Elon's tweet of the first AWD performance car off the line seems to be painted much darker, richer red. I hope that's the case for all future red Tesla Model 3s.

Magic 8 Ball | 2018年6月30日

Their is no evidence of a ne formula. All hearsay FUD.

Studentid | 2018年6月30日

I need a good justification to get over this extra $500 by not ordering earlier...

mpratola | 2018年7月1日

@ AMAZEU How did they differ?

wiboater4 | 2018年7月1日

Studentid
If your are ordering AWD that is now $1000 cheaper. You don't have much choice if those are the colors you want that is the price now. I just told myself that considering the total price of the car that isn't that much more.

maintreqd | 2018年7月1日

This $500 difference knocked my NYS EV rebate down to $500 from $2,000. But, I’d have had to skip FSD, which I want, and getting it later would be $2k now per the new pricing model, and that $2k would’ve been out of pocket as opposed to rolled into the loan, so I said screw it. Def annoying though.

pisto234 | 2018年7月1日

Seems like another perfect example of how Tesla can stop causing FUD. A simple statement from Tesla could clear up all the confusion. But, we are all left guessing. My guess, it sounds like the process costs more for the multi color paints, probably the same formula. But just my guess since there is nothing to go on.

jordanrichard | 2018年7月1日

Solid color paint is simply paint with color pigment in it. Metallic paint has the addition of metal flakes in it and requires the addition of a clear coat on top of it to add depth. Clear coat is simply paint without color pigment. “Pearl” colors, from my understanding are metallic paints, with an additional layer of a clear coat that has metal flake in it and then there is an additional clear coat on top of that.

Studentid | 2018年7月1日

I ordered RWD so AWD didn’t make difference to me.....been holding for 4 months then I had to order it because of flood of invitations.