Forums

Real world M3LR range

Real world M3LR range

What is actual range that you new owners are finding from your LR M3’s?

stockbandit91 | 2018年7月5日

I took the Aero covers off and put the center cap on my 18" wheels, driving 70mph gets virtually exactly the rated range, slower gets more, faster gets less.

Hot days at work use 2-3 miles to keep the battery cool and pre-cool my car cabin for 10-20 minutes before I leave.

spuzzz123 | 2018年7月5日

Depends on driving and weather conditions. In summer, dry road conditions I am able to get 285 miles on a full charge driving 75-80 MPH, or 305 miles if I back it down to 65 MPH. Haven't really tested city range, but I can tell you my lifetime (5k miles) wH/mile is 259 which should get me 289 miles on a full charge if I'm doing my math right. (I think its a 75 kWh battery right?)

Kathy Applebaum | 2018年7月5日

I get pretty much the rated range at 70 mph (aeros, mostly EAP, freely using AC). Lifetime average over 7k miles is 238 wH/mile, not hot rodding it but not driving like a grandma either.

mazur.stefan | 2018年7月5日

While I have yet to over 250 km in a single trip yet, stated range seems pretty accurate. If I drive 100 km, range left is pretty much what was displayed a the start - 100 (give or take a few kms). After 2000km, my average is 150 wh/km (~240wh/mile) and I'm still pushing the car every now and then just for the heck of it.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2018年7月5日

HairyPiano: If your 'Real World' involves driving 80+ MPH at all times, you will not be satisfied with any Tesla product prior to the release of the NEW Tesla Roadster.

jamespompi | 2018年7月5日

cant wait to see what the AWD can do..

dl1972 | 2018年7月5日

going 75 MPH over 200 miles, I lost around 35 miles of rated range

dl1972 | 2018年7月5日

i should have clarified:
19" wheels
change in elevation was 642' to 1870'
temperature was low 90's
very little wind from what i remember

Jsiano | 2018年7月5日

I guess I drive a little too fast. I have a lifetime (2k miles) of 262wh/mile and I seem to get an average of 88% or rated range. I have the 19" wheels also.

djharrington | 2018年7月5日

Most of my driving is a 30/70 mix of 75mph interstate and city streets. Lots of accelerations sprinkled in, and break the rear loose on lots of turns. When not goofing off, I’m driving the speed limit to hit the green lights. I average 210Wh/mi with all of that. With both Tesla’s I’ve noticed that the efficiency gets better after the first couple thousand miles. That’d put me around 350miles of that mix.

My record high was a 110mi stretch where I went ~85-90mph into a 30-40mph headwind. I averaged 360Wh/mi on that section :)

Sslnight | 2018年7月5日

I live in Texas im i was also wondering this question as im thinking the heat here will require more battery cooling. Im hoping the AWD will be more efficient but not expecting longer range of course.

robert rogus | 2018年7月5日

Air conditioning draws less energy from the battery than heating dues, apparently, so Texas is better than Minnesota for range.

dl1972 | 2018年7月5日

Sslnight. My travel was in the Texas heat. Another note on my car (only had it 5 days now) is phantom drain is normal (1-5 miles lost per 12-16 hours of sitting unplugged).
Another note, the navigation is pretty accurate as to what it says your battery percentage will be at when you arrive at your destination (or when you arrive at the supercharger it wants you to stop at).

SUN 2 DRV | 2018年7月5日

Speed and outdoor temperature are the biggest factors. One you control one you don't. Choose your speed to determine your range. Lots of reserve range if you drive slower...

slasher0016 | 2018年7月5日

It's very easy to get the rated range.
It's very hard to get the rated range.

Both are true; the first, if you drive anywhere near normal you'll get rated range (in the summer.) It's really hard to drive near normal speed/acceleration.

georgehawley.fl.us | 2018年7月5日

The rated range corresponds to an average energy use of 234 WH/mile. I think the usable battery pack energy is actually around 78 kWh.

"The EPA Certification Summary report points to an “END-SOC” or state of charge level of 78270 watt-hours or 78.2 kWh of useable battery capacity."

Taking into account that the Model 3 has a slightly lower coefficient of drag than the Model S (.23 Vs .24) and a slightly smaller front cross-section area, the Model 3 should use about 263 WH/miles at 65 mph and about 306 WH/mile at 75 mph. This yields a theoretical range of 78,000/263 = 296 miles at 65 and 78,000/306 = 255 miles at 75 mph. These numbers don't take into account wind conditions, terrain or weather.

If you think you do better than this, check your average speed by dividing actual miles traversed by elapsed time. I think you will see that your overall average speed is lower than you think.

bernard.holbrook | 2018年7月5日

Long road trip on very hot days: 80 mph with A/C I lost 20% of my range. I have 18" w/Aeros on. I think that's as bad as it could ever get.

djharrington | 2018年7月5日

@bernard: just wait until Winter! :)

georgehawley.fl.us | 2018年7月6日

Winter efficiency is improved by turning off the heater and relying on the heated seats for comfort.

maintreqd | 2018年7月6日

@georgehawley.fl.us how much range is retained by doing this? I am all about efficiency, but I did configure the long range battery so I wouldn't have to make concessions of comfort and convenience in order to take a proper road trip, haha. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy taking a frigid ride just to save a few miles.

No_ICE | 2018年7月25日

I live in Maryland. Averaged 221 Wh/mile for the first 5K miles. Mix of highway/local driving plus 1,500 miles of long road trips. I mostly drive speed limit plus 10 mph. The car is very efficient but I really need to get a year's worth of driving in for an accurate assessment including winter months.

Seth2020 | 2020年3月6日

I have a new Model 3 LR AWD -- I've got only about 70 miles out of it and my battery is now at 30% -- this was almost all city stop-and-go driving, but this seems low. Should I bring it in for service?

Frank99 | 2020年3月6日

Seems a bit silly to revive a two year old thread to ask a question; feel free to start your own thread in the future.

If what you're saying is that you've put 70 miles on the car since you bought it, and the battery is at 30%, there's lots of possible reasons - the car may not have been fully charged when you drove it off the lot, the car may have been parked in very cold weather and used battery power to run the heaters to keep the battery from freezing, it's really hard to tell from here. Plug it in, charge it to 90%, and keep track of mileage and weather to the next time it gets low.

stingray.don | 2020年3月6日

Seth2020,

Not nearly enough information. What was the state of charge at the start? Was this a single trip without down time? What was your wh/mi for the trip?

Seth2020 | 2020年3月9日

ok, ok... with some experience I see I was getting 358 Wh/mi average -- this is likely to stop and go driving plus lots of fun acceleration (it being a new car and all) AND I was not using standard regen. Now that I've had it a few days, and am learning to 1 pedal drive, I can see the average Wh/m come down. Still not at the 241 I would need to get the rated range, but if I WANTED to, I think I could get there. Thanks all for chiming in

Seth2020 | 2020年3月9日

Also I think this thread puts it in perspective of what you might realistically expect: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/real-world-range-new-owners-be-pre...

stingray.don | 2020年3月10日

Seth2020,

I have no problem achieving and exceeding the rated wh/mi with my daily commute during nice weather (LR AWD). Your right foot is by far the biggest factor, which is in your control. There is no such thing as “real world range” as it will vary significantly based on driving habits and conditions.

WW_spb | 2020年3月10日

Also check this graph to understand correlation between range and speed.
http://imgur.com/a/3gwcee3

FISHEV | 2020年3月10日

The reference above states the 310 Mile LR AWD should really be sold s 296 Mile range. 90% of the Tesla models per the source above do not meet their rated range.

Likely many of the owner posts about range issues start there.

andy.connor.e | 2020年3月10日

Aero hub caps dont seem to make that much of a difference.

In fact, it looks to be about 4% difference. Which i guess after 5 years of driving could amount to alot of energy.

FISHEV | 2020年3月10日

@andy.connor.e....which Model Tesla do you own and what is your own experience with Aero caps?

Idk dude look at the damn chart @WW posted

FISHEV | 2020年3月10日

Tesla claims 10% increase in range with the Aerocaps.

"Tesla Model 3 aero wheels can increase efficiency by ~10%, says VP of Engineering"

https://electrek.co/2017/08/22/tesla-model-3-aero-wheels-can-increase-ef...

Actual tests on cars seem to get a 3% increase in efficiency.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/ahxwxy/aero_caps_onoff_eff...

Joshan | 2020年3月10日

so what is your point? what are you trying to say?

Joshan | 2020年3月10日

Here is some real data and facts to distract from the bullshit campaign.

Tesla was rated #1 by a WIDE margin against every other car in owner satisfaction. That is the #1 most important thing, how do the people who bought the car feel about the car.

jallred | 2020年3月10日

@andy.connor.e....which Model Tesla do you own and what is your own experience with Aero caps? -fish

I see that you can act like an immature child too. And I thought you were so proud of yourself being the one that takes the high road.

Dont worry too much Joshan, everything you are saying has already been said to him at least once. He doesnt really have a point.

WW_spb | 2020年3月10日

I don't know. Graph shows 18 with air hubs are 308 vs 310 rated. I would say not bad. And if you look at the ranges possible with 60 MPH speed. I would say that is great.