Forums

Making the Best No-Drill No-Hole License Plate Bracket Mount for Model 3

Making the Best No-Drill No-Hole License Plate Bracket Mount for Model 3

Folks,

I’ve been looking for a No-Drill No-Hole License Plate Bracket Mount for Model 3 but I could not find one suitable.
- Many options on the market are quite expensive like “The law” that would cost about $150 and this as many others attach to the front plastic vent blades which in my opinion is concerning in the long run as not only it disrupts the airflow by blocking part of the front vent area but also could damage these blades in the long run, which will not be covered by the warranty.
- I have seen other solutions that attach via the front tow hook and they seem to be the best option to make not impact on the car bumper or paint. Because the Tesla Model 3 front tow hook is much different than that of other cars, why not have a bracket that can attach to it?

So I decided to make one and since this is a problem that many currently have I would like your help and feedback to design the perfect No-Drill No-Hole License Plate Bracket Mount for the Tesla Model 3 that is affordable.

As an experiment I would like to make this a Tesla community led and crowdfunded project as I believe in the power of collective buying to bring about a real product to market. Please understand that this will only come to life if many of us can support this project and ask our friends to do the same. I will start a crowdfunding campaign for this after the design is finalized. But before I’d like as many as you as possible to sign up to this product design list so we can discuss the design, get your feedback before having something worth manufacturing.

If everyone actively participates, then we could have a product that everyone wants and likes. Please sign up here and I look forward to working together to bring this to market quickly.

https://goo.gl/forms/7dBDfuMih2NXXFEo1

I have an initial design that I will share with those who sign up to collaborate on this.

Ideally this would be a Tesla community-led project where everything from design to realization is determined by the community’s feedback/input.
So please share this with all your Tesla friends, owners, soon to be owners and enthusiasts and let’s work together to bring this to life.

If anyone has any other ideas of other highly needed solutions, I think we could potentially explore that as well down the road.

Conartist329 | 2018年8月11日

Signed up. I was planning on just taking my chances on running no front plate in MD, but this sounds like a better idea.

Carl Thompson | 2018年8月11日

You do realize that the license plate bracket that comes with the car is no-drill, right? The screws that come with it are for attaching the plate to the bracket not for attaching the bracket to the car.

gwolnik | 2018年8月11日

My plates arrived Thursday and I stopped by a service center yesterday with no appointment and they installed my front plate for me. I also had them install the rear plate because I could only get one of the four screws out.

Ryan1296 | 2018年8月11日

I was surprised to see Tesla had my front bracket mounted when I picked my m3 up in NY .

cascadiadesign | 2018年8月11日

Front plates required here in Washington State (yeah - the state known for people stealing airplanes)

Anyway - I was eating at an outdoor cafe on a busy street and for fun counted cars that had no front plates. I estimated 8% leave plates off. BMW, pickup trucks, & Jeeps were the majority offenders.

So for the cost of a front plate bracket or hide-away bracket I can pay for a few fix-it tickets. I'll take my chances.

lilbean | 2018年8月11日

Cravenspeed already makes one.

TeslaJ | 2018年8月11日

It is my understanding that Model 3 license plates are glued to the paint. So for those who just want no risk of damaging the paint after a while it seems as though the tow hook option remains the best one.

sroh | 2018年8月11日

I'm looking for one that I can quickly remove and re-install for, say, parking in SF. I've ordered this one to try.

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/universal-front-license-plate-bracket/

walnotr | 2018年8月11日

I've been thinking of finding a sign shop with a Gerber Edge machine (or the current equivalent) and have a facsimile of the front plate printed on vinyl.

billlake2000 | 2018年8月11日

walnotr, that's thinking on top of the box. Let us know if it works out.

Pangea250 | 2018年8月11日

no screws came with the frames for the license plates. The little plastic things in the back where screws would go in got pushed into the trunk's panel in the process of removing a screw. Argh! I have a one week old Model 3. I live 60 miles from the nearest service center. Any suggestions for how to mount the plates?

Rfdong | 2018年8月11日

Would a tow hook design be able to go through a car wash? The ones with the long strips that drape?

cascadiadesign | 2018年8月11日

"... have a facsimile of the front plate printed on vinyl"

Don't know about other states, but Washington State law specifically says no reproductions.

TeslaJ | 2018年8月11日

Good question @Rdong. I guess it depends on the material. It should be able to go through a car wash if it is securely attached.

Sslnight | 2018年8月11日

The only thing im worried about is the jump leads at the recovery hook. Id rather mot use the “tape on” on that comes with the 3.

walnotr | 2018年8月11日

@cascadiadesign, you agree with my wife. She thinks it’s a foolish idea. She checked out the law and saw the same thing as well as metal plates must be made by the prison system. There was also something in there about exceptions because of design, although I was not paying enough attention at the time.
My argument is the intent of the law as opposed to the letter of the law. Is the no facsimile rule to avoid fraudulent reproductions, or to insure the veichle is properly identifiable from the front? If it is the latter, then the vinyl would satisfy the requirement. It’s probably a losing argument but could be a fun exercise.

Conartist329 | 2018年8月11日

Rfdong, I have a tow hook design on my Subaru, and I've never had an issue going through a car wash with brushes (the ~5 times I've done it).

TeslaJ | 2018年8月11日

I wish modern car designers like Tesla would simply provide a removable and mountable license plate on the front that does not require drilling... it would be much cleaner for everyone. In the meantime the more people signup the sooner we can get this design rolling...

Carl Thompson | 2018年8月12日

@TeslaJ:
"I wish modern car designers like Tesla would simply provide a removable and mountable license plate on the front that does not require drilling..."

As I've already said the Model 3's license plate doesn't require drilling at all. It's stuck on with tape and and should be removable with no damage (though I haven't tried removing).

This whole thread is much ado about nothing.

billlake2000 | 2018年8月12日

Mr. Carl, not sure, but I think it might not be removable without damage, which, I think, is the main objection to sticking it on with tape. I personally don't plan on removing mine, so I have no objection to the tape.

mos6507 | 2018年8月12日

"It's stuck on with tape "

I hope it's not the same tape used to hold on the vanity mirrors...

johnmann | 2018年8月12日

I removed mine, it was well adhered, but came off without too much trouble using a heat gun. Although it had only been in place a few days.

billlake2000 | 2018年8月12日

johnmann why did you take it off? Will you be putting in back on?

garygid | 2018年8月12日

If there were two properly spaced (under where the two 3m tape strips would be located) vertical conforming ferrous metal strips on the inside surface of the plastic cosmetic bumper ... then appropriately adding (with alternating polarity) 4 rare earth magnets to the license plate bracket's grooves ... would hold the bracket firmly in place.

The trouble is ... there is no easy way to get those metal strips in place, but ... taking out about 6 screws to remove the frunk is apparently the way to start to remove (or access) the back side of the front cosmetic bumper.

If anybody tries this, please send me (or post) some details, and some pictures, if possible.

Thanks, Gary

syclone | 2018年8月13日

This sounds like an extreme earth shattering first world problem. I may lose f--king hours of sleep over your quandary.

johnmann | 2018年8月13日

billlake2000 - “why did you take it off?”

I wasn’t happy with its appearance, so I repurposed the frame and came up with my own mounting method.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/alternative-front-plate-mounting

BrooklynTesla | 2018年8月13日

I wonder if making it magnetic would work. As long as you could adhere a plate or magnet behind the front bumper, then it should be doable (magnets could be fixed to back of plate holder, behind bumper or both). Also, you could line the back of the plate holder with felt (or any soft) padding strips so the actual contact point onto the paint doesn't scratch or wear down the contact point - preserving the bumper's finish should you want to attach/detach). I live in NYC, so it's required to have front and rear plates so I'll likely just let the service center do their best to attach to front with the adhesive it comes with.

johnmann | 2018年8月13日

Someone did make a magnetic mount for the Model 3 and posted about it here quite a while ago. They attached the magnets to the exterior and painted them to match the car. It looked pretty good and was nearly invisible with the plate removed.

I can’t find that post at the moment, but here’s a similar one from the Model S forum.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/using-neodymium-magnets-adhere-fro...

DickB | 2018年8月13日
BrooklynTesla | 2018年8月13日

@DickB | I really like the look of that. Is the Model3 grill made of metal or plastic? I'm wondering if someone backs into the plate/mount, if the grill would likely be the first to crack (since the mount seems to be made of metal).

billlake2000 | 2018年8月13日

johnmann, ah, yes, now I remember your previous post. Looks mighty nice.

markr7 | 2018年8月13日

I'd like to see a crowdsource work on a state by state basis to put into law that only a rear license plate is required. With the design of many cars today, there is no visually good way to mount a front license plate. back in the 60's & 70's the front of most cars were mostly flat & made it easy to mount a front license plate. With today's cars & aerodynamics, it is no longer that way.
law enforcement does not have a valid reason to require a front license plate.

camera when you go through a toll booth without paying. running a red light. driving away from a bank robbery toward people who see you driving wrecklessly. an endless amount of reasons to need a front license plate. crap, I'm such a negative nancy. disregard me, markr, start your gofundme campaign.

metz123 | 2018年8月13日

If I go through a toll booth without paying, logic suggests that the camera is taking a picture of the back of my car, not the front. If you think bank robbers are the sorts of people that would care about front plate laws....well, I have nothing...

There's no real legitimate reason why states require front plates. If law enforcement wants to get in front of the curve they should be lobbying for transponders in modern cars, not plates. Transponders would do away with many of the silly policies on place today (tabs, proof of insurance, license plates, etc). I'm not saying that I want a car that monitors my driving habits (I don't and there's a reason why I chose not to go anywhere near any insurance company that wanted active monitoring as part of their plan) but they could be used for lots of good things that don't infringe on personal privacy.

metz, you sweetheart, I do so agree that transponders or somesuch might be cool. but what about amber alerts, for example, bolo white tesla, license plate TESSIEOH, how is the citizen going to play a part in that without plates, assuming the crinimal was able to discombobulate the transponder or something?

Maybe we should get a committee together (focus group?) and go over all the plusses and minuses, and come up with a proposal. Shall we say a deadline of 8/14/2028?

95dawg | 2018年8月13日

"There's no real legitimate reason why states require front plates. If law enforcement wants to get in front of the curve they should be lobbying for transponders in modern cars, not plates. Transponders would do away with many of the silly policies on place today (tabs, proof of insurance, license plates, etc). I'm not saying that I want a car that monitors my driving habits (I don't and there's a reason why I chose not to go anywhere near any insurance company that wanted active monitoring as part of their plan) but they could be used for lots of good things that don't infringe on personal privacy."

Oh yea, exactly. Uh-huh. All cars should be monitored and tracked by law enforcement, parking maids, tow truck companies, insurance companies. That's *way* better compromise than requiring front license plates.

Kathy Applebaum | 2018年8月13日

Haven't seen this one mentioned in the thread: https://www.1975creations.com/product-page/tesla-model-3-front-license-p...

NAYY, just a happy customer. Yes, it does attach to the vent blades, but it doesn't block the vent and seems well made. I liked it better than the idea of sticking a bracket onto my PPF.

Carl Thompson | 2018年8月13日

@billlake2000:
"... I do so agree that transponders or somesuch might be cool. but what about amber alerts, for example, bolo white tesla, license plate TESSIEOH, how is the citizen going to play a part in that without plates, assuming the crinimal was able to discombobulate the transponder or something?"

So the [alleged] criminal would disable the transponder but would leave the plates on? ;-)

When cars are "connected" (soon) your car will probably help in amber alerts without you even knowing about it. Because it will read other cars transponders when passing near them and if the transponder of one of them is associated with an alert it could let authorities know the whereabouts of that car without any effort from you. Transponders would be much better than the current method of hoping that drivers check other cars' license plates and take the time to call police.

Mike20sm | 2018年8月13日

What about the idea of bending the license plate to conform with the the bumper. It would be good for aerodynamics, but may not retain the legibility of the numbers and letters, and in effect be illegal, but still I'd like to see it tried.

TeslaJ | 2018年8月13日

The problem with plates that attach to the vent is that (1) no one has seen their impact over a long period of time. With the wind pressure on the plate I think it might damage the vent blades over time, and (2) it covers/blocks part of the vent area which could impact the airflow and ventilation of the car and its battery.

Okay, Carl T. Ya busted me.

disapr | 2018年8月14日

@markr7 +1

I'll support any reasonable effort to remove the requirement for a front plate in my state. Such a pointless law. If someone is actually planning to do something shady, why not just remove or simply swap the plate with some other vehicle? At least remove the fine.. Most sheep in the world will happily install two plates if you ship them two whether it's required or not. For those that do not want a front plate, there should be no penalty.

Magic 8 Ball | 2018年8月14日

@TeslaJ I agree the attachment to the vent grille seems like a bad idea. The vent grille is plastic and not designed to support additional loads.

TeslaJ | 2018年8月18日

For those interested, would you want just a license plate bracket that attaches to the existing front tow hook that comes with the car or would you prefer that it comes with its own hook?

jjt2122 | 2018年8月18日

One that comes with the plate is better because it needs to be weather resistant to the elements outside

anitha | 2018年9月18日

The one in ebay is an inexpensive option and is working great for me, No issues whatsoever. The good thing is that when I don't need the front plates, I can just remove it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183436623836

anitha | 2018年9月18日

The one in ebay is an inexpensive option and is working great for me, No issues whatsoever. The good thing is that when I don't need the front plates, I can just remove it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183436623836

JAD | 2018年9月18日

That looks perfect for $8. Anyone else tried it? I with the pictures of what you got were better.

sroh | 2018年9月18日

@anitha,
How easy is it to install and remove? I am looking for a solution to only install when parking in SF. The listing indicates it takes about 10 minutes to install; does that sound about right? How about to remove?

billlake2000 | 2018年9月18日

How the hell does it mount?

Pages