Forums

Model 3 Windshield Replacement

Model 3 Windshield Replacement

Hi All,

So, my model 3 developed a large crack in the windshield, the service team says they see an impact point, though I’m not convinced this is the leading cause of the crack, it looks like there is a pretty serious separation of the glass at the point where the glass meets the passenger side pillar. Never seen something quite that bad before from a small impact.

Anyway, to make matters worse, this happened almost 4 weeks ago, windshield replacements are on backorder and there is no estimate on when a replacement will be available. I’ve looked into third parties such as Safelite as well, and they do not offer replacements yet.

To make things even worse, this will apparently cost $1200 to replace. This is one of the best cars I’ve ever driven but lack of basic spare parts and high cost of repair really makes me think twice about keeping it. It doesn’t seem that service is able to keep up with the increased volume.

Has anyone else experienced issues with the windshield, any luck getting it repaired/replaced in a timely fashion?

Wonbadappl | 2019年9月18日

I went to pick up my new 2019 M3 LR AWD and the salesperson noticed a scratch mark..maybe 1 inch long on the lower passenger side of windshield...they ordered a new windshield and it came right away...I'm going Monday 9/30 to have it replaced. I guess replacement parts are freeing up now.

jimglas | 2019年9月18日

you are a statistical nightmare
Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket

-TheJohn- | 2019年9月18日

Stats Ted, Stats. My/our sympathy.
My weird one is that I have picked up three items that have punctured a tire. An Allen wrench, a forks head and a screw. They have all hit the right rear tire (been rotated twice). Fortunately none were unpluggable!

3teslafun | 2019年9月19日

I had a big, golf ball size, rock crush on the front windshield... at 70 or so north of Seattle. Used app to schedule appt in 5 days. Took car to Seattle SC and they replaced windshield in 4 hours as plnned, drove home the same day. They did a great job, total cost $1,036. ....and I haven't billed the insurance co. for $36.

lee | 2019年12月9日

i have been waiting for over 5 weeks for the Tesla mobile service person to get back to me to replace my broken windshield. They used to have safe lite do it , but i hear that is not so anymore. and if you are in the hinterlands like me in new mexico where there are no tesla service centers : we are screwed . this is all contrary to what they told me before i purchased my model 3 , in that i would have access to mobile service here in NM. they are liars or totally incompetent.

lee | 2019年12月9日

i have been waiting for over 5 weeks for the Tesla mobile service person to get back to me to replace my broken windshield. They used to have safe lite do it , but i hear that is not so anymore. and if you are in the hinterlands like me in new mexico where there are no tesla service centers : we are screwed . this is all contrary to what they told me before i purchased my model 3 , in that i would have access to mobile service here in NM. they are liars or totally incompetent.

Tronguy | 2019年12月9日

The SO's car got hit by a rock here in NJ early part of this year. Worked with the insurance company; they wanted us to use Safelite. Guy came by in his truck to see about repair, said 2" star pattern was in the black area, too close to the edge for repair. A little back and forth revealed that in NJ at any rate Tesla windshields weren't really available except for Tesla; the insurance company relented, we set up for an appointment a couple days further down the timeline. Also turned out that there's some kind of training the glass replacement guys have to go through to do the camera calibration; we never found out for sure whether the local Safelite franchises around here had that.
Showed up at the SC in Hillside; they gave the SO a loaner and said to come back in a day. Cost a little over a grand, of which our deductible was $500; it's been fine since.
I've heard that in CA Tesla has been farming out windshields to Safelite, once their techs have been trained.

Haggy | 2019年12月12日

I just had mine replaced in Fremont. I called State Farm, they called Tesla, Tesla agreed to do it for a price that State Farm accepted, it will cost me my $100 deductible, and Tesla did it on Tuesday. They had the car last week for something else, the approval came on Friday evening, so I didn't expect anything before Monday. So I'd call it two days instead of the expected next business day.

Big_Ed | 2020年2月2日

Heard a really loud impact last night on road trip. Woke up this morning and found 1 inch star crack on windshield, on passenger side about 6 inches up from bottom. Will swing by Safelite tomorrow in hopes of walk in repair before crack grows.

Big_Ed | 2020年2月3日

Got crack fixed at Safelite in Cumming, GA for $150. Great service, highly recommend this location.

andy.connor.e | 2020年2月3日

Cant wait to not worry about windshield cracks or dents or paint or rust.

Big_Ed | 2020年2月3日

Get a '99 F150 like I did and you won't worry about any of that. :)

andy.connor.e | 2020年2月3日

ew no that thing will rust and runs on ass gass

Daryl | 2020年2月4日

@yogesh_diwan "I had my windshield replaced yesterday ... Tesla said the camera's on the windshield will auto calibrate. In my first half of the journey ... It was off center by say a foot or so ... suddenly on my way back it centered itself and its working fine."

I recently had my windshield replaced too, and afterwards the car favored the right side of the lane for about 50 miles. After that it has performed just fine.

I can only assume that the cameras continually recalibrate, since nothing was reset after windshield replacement. That's a good thing!

Pages