Forums

Tesla Model 3 battery degradation down to 117 miles after only 1,200 miles driven

Tesla Model 3 battery degradation down to 117 miles after only 1,200 miles driven

I have had my Model 3 for about 4 weeks, and have driven a total of 1,200 miles. Two days ago, after charging the car to 90%, the battery capacity was showing only 90 miles. I set the limit to 100% and charged again, and now I have only 117 miles at max capacity. I tried looking on these forums but didn't see anyone else mentioning similar issues. I have made an appointment for service, but wondering if anyone knows if there is a re-calibration required? Also, how do I get someone from service on the phone? I called, and was told I had a longer and an hour wait, and then later, it was a 30 minute wait, but I didn't have time to stay on the phone. Is it likely that if I call again and hang on for the wait time that they could fix this issue with an update???

M3BlueGeorgia | 2018年9月16日

Did you call: 877-798-3792

And no this shouldn't be happening.

Alex_SD | 2018年9月16日

Yes, there is another person posting a used M3 charging to 118 miles at 80%. You’re not the first...
It’s very serious, unfortunately. You might be needing a new battery... Call Tesla.

efuseakay | 2018年9月16日

You made an appointment. When is it?

efuseakay | 2018年9月16日

You made an appointment. When is it?

omar.fakhri | 2018年9月17日

Following this one as it’s similar to my issue....no errors, no warnings on the screen. Battery just doesn’t go behind 127 mile range at 90% or so of charge.

gmr6415 | 2018年9月17日

Have you tried a full charge, then driving down to about 5%, doing a reboot and recharging?

Secondly, what is showing up as Wh used per mile? I would assume that if you have a huge Wh usage per mile either there is a serious problem or you are driving like a teenager (as I have done on occasion because I just can't resist).

KP in NPT | 2018年9月17日

Call tesla.

sharicutler | 2018年9月17日

Hi, thanks for all the responses. I tried calling Tesla yesterday twice, one time with 1 hour wait, second time was 30 min wait. Wasn't able to hang on for the hold time, so I did make an appointment for the 20th. The earliest appointment I could get was the 19th in the late afternoon that didn't work for my schedule, so I went with the 20th. Just called support again to see if they had any suggestions, and they said that they would try a hard reset, but that can't be done with the fix level I have installed without issues. I'm on version 2018.34.1. Support said they saw some alerts showing up regarding the battery from their end, but they needed a technician to look at them to determine their meaning. Other comment regarding this was that I drove my car only about 60 miles the day before this started happening. I forgot to charge that night, and when I got in the car the next morning, I had only 90 miles of range. I can't remember what range was left from the day before, but it had to be around 150-180. I set the limit to trip level to max it out, and then only got it to charge to 118. I'm hoping it's just a re-calibration issue, but they didn't offer a way to do that myself. Will update after my appointment on the 20th.

M3BlueGeorgia | 2018年9月17日

Seems like you've lost access to about 60% of your cells. Probably a hardware issue. Undoubtedly nothing you did.

Glad you are still able to drive, so probably you should avoid heroic attempts to fix until you get it to the service center.

ksalberta | 2018年9月17日

@sharicutler, I am so sorry to hear that. This is a problem for the service center. Don't try to drive the car down really low and then recharge - this is not a 5/10 mile problem that can be "reset" that way.

If you drive the car down to where it says 20-30 miles left, you may just find yourself stuck on the road.

Your problem is worse than Omar's at this point - he is in graceful failure mode with a stable, if much-decreased range left. You are seeing rapid failure and you have less than 50% of the battery capacity left. That means the car is charging across modules without their full capacity. It's not as if you have lost a few cells. You are down to about 1/3rd capacity now.

Honestly, if it were me I would just drive it to the SC, demand a loaner and leave it there for them to diagnose. You don't know what is happening in there. You don't know if it is safe to charge. You don't know if tomorrow you will wake up and find that you have lost more capacity.

I would describe that as failure cascade, and I would not want that kind of hassle. It's up to you, but be careful! And DON'T try to SuperCharge it.

sharicutler | 2018年9月17日

@ksalberta, thank you for the advice! I was thinking I might try to SuperCharge it, but will definitely not do that now! Also, good point about not charging it myself at all, you are right, I don't know what's going on in there. It could make things worse. I have time today, maybe I will drive it to the SC and leave it there as you recommend. I don't want to be messing with this for 3 days, and worrying about unreliable transportation.

KP in NPT | 2018年9月17日

@shari - I would call the SC and tell them that's what you're doing so they can line you up a loaner. Give them a heads up.

sharicutler | 2018年9月18日

Got a call from executive support in the Netherlands who told me I would be safe to charge the car until my appointment. However, since I drive a lot for work, and was concerned that I might not get through a day of driving, they agreed to let me drop my car off at the SC and get a loaner while they take some time to diagnose and fix the issue. Everything went really smoothly with the drop off, and I had to get a gas powered rental due to low inventory on Teslas, but I'm very happy with the response so far. I'm expecting it to take a while, at least a few days to a week before I get my car back. BTW, with the Model 3, there is no way to see the Wh per Mile. I asked the technician, he said that is a feature on the S and X models that Model 3s don't have.

Rt002k | 2018年9月18日

Shari,

Not true. At the bottom left of the screen, swipe right and you'll get to the tripometer which includes energy usage. It's not as pretty as the S/X but it has the information you're looking for. I wouldn't want that technician touching my car if he didn't know that!

ksalberta | 2018年9月18日

Shari, thanks for the update, and please let us know the outcome. It is a rare problem and may be very helpful later for someone else.

CASEMAN | 2018年9月18日

@Rt002k +1

N8778204151 | 2019年7月9日

My Tesla 3 LR after 1 year (picked on 07/12/2018)

32,666 mile
Average 240 w/mile
Range on day 2 (fully charged) =314
Range on Day 362 (today, fully charged) = 295

Degradation = (314-295)/314 = 6.05%

N8778204151 | 2019年7月9日

My Tesla 3 LR after 1 year (picked on 07/12/2018)

32,666 mile
Average 240 w/mile
Range on day 2 (fully charged) =314
Range on Day 362 (today, fully charged) = 295

Degradation = (314-295)/314 = 6.05%

spuzzz123 | 2019年7月10日

You’re gonna have a few people tell you there’s no information you have available to measure degradation. That 295 mile number is just some kind of complicated estimate and doesn’t mean anything.

Jtwo | 2019年7月10日

It sounds a good time to make use of Tesla's 8 year battery warranty.

-TheJohn- | 2019年7月10日

The above Fishhorn post is totally untrue. Tesla Does Not moderate these forums at all oddly enough.
It's their fellow users who routinely scrag his/her easily demonstrable lies.
Flag a fish, save a life.

-TheJohn- | 2019年7月10日

Oh and sorry to not have addressed your problem.

That is totally a problem and Tesla will make it right. Sorry to hear about it. It's super duper rare although not unknown as in you're the second person ever I can recall with this problem.

SamO | 2019年7月11日

Yes clearly this thread complaining about battery degradation from . . .checks notes . . .from 2018 . . .has been deleted by Tesla.

Just a ghost thread. Nothing to see.
Lulz.

TabascoGuy | 2019年7月11日

Uhm, not that it really matters but the OP came back three times...

Joshan | 2019年7月11日

more Fake and Made-Up facts from Fish....

My car is 7 months old and has 11k miles now. I have not lost even 1 mile yet... The day I got the car 279 miles at 90%. This morning? 279 miles at 90%.

hokiegir1 | 2019年7月11日

StatsApp has a very limited dataset. Specifically, it's only a certain portion of Apple users. None of the various 3rd party apps has a complete picture. You can get *some* information, but you can't extrapolate real data from such a small subset.

hokiegir1 | 2019年7月11日

I meant very few owners use StatsApp....

Joshan | 2019年7月11日

doesnt matter what you say Hokie he will either twist it or flat out ignore it and keep posting the same half truths as if they were fact. It is honstly just like our president with "alternative facts".

hokiegir1 | 2019年7月11日

@Joshan - I know. And most of the time I flag and ignore. This one seemed it needed a small clarification for others, rather than him.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年7月11日

Probably best not to reply to someone who's posts get flagged away, since the reply will have no context.

aperfectecho | 2019年7月11日

I was thinking that my battery/range might be down a bit from new, with the estimator report. The weeks before my road trip, I let it go down to about 20%, then charged, and fully charged a couple of times.
It may well be a software update, but my AWD LR reports around 251 miles at 80%, which would be around 313 miles calculated for full charge. NO issue at all.
That number is an estimate, and isn't an absolute number to refer to in calculating battery degradation.

Joshan | 2019年7月11日

but... but... but... that how can Fish spread FUD about it? It has to be a real absolute number! /s