Forums

Yellow Tint along the sides of the large screen

Yellow Tint along the sides of the large screen

I just got this problem. I have read from other customers on another forum that this is a common problem. And that they have had their screen replaced multiple times. Why has this problem not been solved. I will for sure make an appointment to get it replaced but seems like Tesla would solve this problem from repeating.

Does anyone have more details on the issue?

Not Related but why does this forum not allow for SEARCH. Seems very strange that I could not find if this topic already exist.

TeslaTap.com | 2018年9月18日

For Search: https://teslatap.com/articles/owners-manual-companion/#search

Only a common problem on a fairly narrow range of car builds in late 2016 and early 2017. Very rare to have it replaced more than once, but perhaps a few of the early replacements had the same problem screen. I've not heard of anyone getting a replacement in the last 12 months needing a 2nd replacement, so Tesla seemed to have solved it. It's all done free under warranty.

p.c.mcavoy | 2018年9月18日

TeslaTap.com | September 18, 2018

"Only a common problem on a fairly narrow range of car builds in late 2016 and early 2017. Very rare to have it replaced more than once, but perhaps a few of the early replacements had the same problem screen. I've not heard of anyone getting a replacement in the last 12 months needing a 2nd replacement, so Tesla seemed to have solved it. It's all done free under warranty."
===================

Don't know if you follow the Tesla Owners Worldwide group on Facebook, but was someone posting today about having their screen replaced 3 months ago and having the yellow line already back on the new screen. Several other owners responded with "me too" type of comments with replacements within the last 6-9 months or less and seeing it again.

cfishkin01 | 2018年9月18日

June 2017 build Model S 75D. Yellow band just showed up last week.

Corp | 2018年9月19日

November 2017 showroom car that I got about a month ago. Had light yellow band when I got it. Will be contacting the SC near me if it gets any worse.

adspguy | 2018年9月19日

My dec 16 Model S 90D had the screen (actually whole mcu) replace in Nov 17 and the yellow bands have appeared on the replacement. I don't know if the screen only replacements have fared any better.

TeslaTap.com | 2018年9月19日

Good feedback. @P.c. Looks like it may not be solved.

Note that the yellow band does not appear suddenly, it slowly appears and gets stronger over time. I bet many don't notice it until they look for it. Not quite sure if it is caused by light exposure, how long the display is on, or just time related. Had it on my Dec-2016 car and replaced screen in Mar-18. So far no new band is visible.

Tropopause | 2018年9月19日

Sept 2017 S. Yellow band appeared many months ago. Just letting it ride until the complaints settle down or my warranty runs low.

jrk123k | 2018年9月19日

Sept 2017 S here as well - had yellow bad show up in August and Mobile service already replace under warranty. They only replaced the screen (not whole MCU) and it took about 2 hours of work. I hope Tesla is getting reimbursed by their sub-tier supplier for all the additional costs this issue is causing.

Uncle Paul | 2018年9月19日

This is not really a problem, as it causes no problems. The screen still works perfectly.

I understand it is simply the yellowing of an adhesive between layers that can yellow with time. Adhesive still works fine but gets yellow.

Kinda like if the air inside your tire smells bad. No real reason to replace it with fresh air as the tire rolls just fine.

Tesla will replace them free for those that wish.

Tropopause | 2018年9月19日

I always insist my tire air be infused with lavender and chamomile fragrance to ease tension and soothe the senses in the event of a blow-out! ;)

jerrykham | 2018年9月19日

I have a Sept 2017 S. Yellow band appeared 3 months ago. I had it replaced during my 1st year service. It isn't back yet, but from what I have seen from others it will eventually come back. The service department did not seem the least surprised that it needed replacement. I scheduled service via the web and put in the text box that I needed 1st 12,500 mile service and MCU screen replacement for yellow band issue. They never questioned it at all and had the part ordered, ready and waiting when I dropped off the car. So this must be VERY common.

bsteinesq | 2018年9月21日

March 2017 build S. Very light yellow bands showed up a day or two ago. Will make appointment to get it replaced, but I'm in no rush as everything else seems fine.

bill | 2018年9月21日

I have the yellow band and it is going to get replaced October 2. If it comes back my car will likely be beyond 50 k. Anyone have Tesla replace the display after 50K

NKYTA | 2018年9月22日

I believe I replaced an MCU at 45k, but it wasn’t for anything yellow.

I don’t see it at 89k either.

My dad is color blind red/green, maybe I’m color blind yellow?

No saying this isn’t a thing, but I can’t see it.

Chune | 2018年9月24日

Dec 2016 model S - has this happen about 1.5 yrs into ownership; replaced and without recurrence

Katie Blue Dog | 2018年9月24日

March 2018 100D - yellow on screen, replaced Sept 2018. We will see if it is durable!

nate | 2018年11月1日

My Model X 100D has this problem -- yellow tint at the top of the screen. I purchased the car brand new end of February 2018.