Forums

No LED indicator lights working on Tesla Wall Charger?

No LED indicator lights working on Tesla Wall Charger?

I just had the Tesla Wall Charger installed and there are no LED indicator lights working on the charger. However, a current is flowing through the charger and it charges the car fine. There just isn't any LED status lights lighting up on the Tesla charger.

I looked through the Troubleshooting section in the manual and there isn't any reference to zero LED lights working on the Tesla Wall Charger.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Anybody experience this as well?

rk242 | 2018年9月21日

It's likely that your electrician forgot to hook up the display ribbon cable. Mine forgot this as well, but then realized the issue when the lights were off.

gammadude | 2018年9月21日

The cover has a ribbon cable that needs to be connected to power the LEDs. Maybe it is not connected.

Firewired | 2018年9月21日

Agree with gammadude. If I recall it is right on the backside of the front plate. I would think you could double check it in the instructions.

Jacksonontheroad | 2018年9月21日

Awesome. Thank you for the help. I will have the electrician have a look.

Bassbam | 2018年10月22日

Did you ever fix this problem? I just installed a new Wall Connector. It charges my Model 3 fine at 48A, so the charging function works as it should. However, no LED lights ever came on. I checked the ribbon cable connector to the front sealing cover and it is seated fine. I think I might have received a defective sealing cover while the rest of the unit is working fine. I emailed Tesla about this.

thomas | 2019年7月21日

Any update date.
I've had mine for 2 months fine and all of a sudden the same thing happened here.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年7月21日

@thomas- sounds like you need to exchange it for a new one. Let us know if Tesla exchange policy covers the wall charger.

mwaltz | 2019年8月16日

This same issue -- lights suddenly not working after several months of normal operation -- has happened to me. Car is still charging fine, and reset and hard power recycle have had no effect. I have written Tesla an email, and will let you know what they say.

DirkFirkin | 2019年8月16日

I was surprised that the wall connector showed a single green LED even when not in use and all LEDs when charging. IMO this is totally unnecessary use, albeit not much, of electricity. If the connector works and the LEDs don‘t, I wouldn’t worry...

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年8月16日

So our charger is out front and some nights we get over 300 "sentry" events and some nights not. I am almost sure it depends on exactly how the car is positioned in the driveway and how the repeater cams sees the LED waterfall, more investigation needed to confirm.

CaliforniaMaki808 | 2019年8月16日

Why waste electricity showing the LED? If the charger's working properly, forget the LED...just a waste of energy.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年8月16日

The waterfall looks cool.

kevin_rf | 2019年8月16日

But the LED's are "Green"

Joshan | 2019年8月16日

so let me make sure I have this right....

half the thread is upset the Cable has LED lights

Half the thread is upset the Cable doesn't have working LED lights

And people wonder why companies don't listen to end users very often on design.

Tyerc | 2019年8月16日

There is a circuit board in the WC that powers the led lights as several people have noted, the WC also has a built in ground fault check system. If this is dependent on the circuit board working properly ( connected properly) I’d say “get it checked”. I like glancing at the led’s to confirm the unit has power and is charging if I want to confirm this.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年8月16日

The led lights serve a purpose for communicating charger status, so they are not wasteful.