Forums

Is there a guide on how to use Dashcam and recommended flash drive?

Is there a guide on how to use Dashcam and recommended flash drive?

Thanks! And I am new to the forum and did not find search functionality...

jon | 2018年11月11日

There isn't a recommended flashdrive, but I would recommend not getting the cheapest one you can find. Look at the write speeds of the drive and get a fairly good one, it will last longer.

Format to Fat32, create TeslaCam folder, which is case sensitive, and plug into car. It will show the camera with a red-dot if you do it right. At some point you will get a camera with a gray X instead of the red dot, possibly after every time you drive the car. Put the flash into your computer, let it repair the drive, then put it back in the car. Alternatively, lookup the TeslaUsb project if you are technologically adventurous as it uses a Raspberry Pi that will auto-repair the drive.

As for searching the forums, use google and then put in
site:forums.tesla.com dashcam

EVRider | 2018年11月11日
william | 2018年11月11日

My lessons learned: 1. The drive should be 32 GBytes or under or else you can't format to Fat32; 2. The really, really cheap drives are not reliable. I bought a Patriot Rage; 3. The folder name is case sensitive.

atri | 2018年11月11日
dt22cc | 2018年11月11日

You can format drives larger than 32GB to fat32 on a Mac. Also, there are programs that can do the same for Windows systems.

thedrisin | 2018年11月11日

"the 1-hour circular buffer requires ~1.8 GB of free space' - Tesla

Anything more than 2GB is not used. I am using an inexpensive drive. No reliability problems. Only problem is the same that has been reported by many, if you turn off vehicle and leave the dashcam enabled, next time a grey x. Just turn off the function each time you leave the car.

transaxl | 2018年11月11日

My notes on the subject (perhaps mostly useful to Linux nerds):
- You can use flash disk larger than 32GB, but if so you must partition it.
- If partitioning, the "TeslaCam" (case sensitive) directory must be the first partition, and it must be FAT32.
- If partitioning, msdos style partition table disk label is fine
- You can't store music and TeslaCam on the same partition.
- Only the front USB ports are useful for this.
- The second (music) partition can be ext4, and hard links are recognized.
- FLAC is supported.

wayne | 2018年11月11日

I am using a non-partitioned 64 GB drive which works fine. Came with Fat32.

Daryl | 2018年11月11日

@thedrisin "Anything more than 2GB is not used. "

Unless you want to save clips.

pedro | 2018年11月11日

@TeslaCam thanks! Linux user here too (getting ready for delivery in 2 weeks)

pedro | 2018年11月11日

I meant @transaxl ...

thedrisin | 2018年11月11日

Unless you are saving 100s of clips, anything more than 4GB is probably overkill. 16GB for $2.99 at BB.

gmr6415 | 2018年11月11日

@thedrisin, Tesla is expected to activate more cameras for dash cam recording in the future - possibly all 8. It has also been said that they will record in a "park" mode to monitor the car while parked. 4GB isn't going to be nearly enough.

What really needs to be done is a full blown dash cam application where the camera video overlaps the navigation screen showing GPS location, direction and travel speed at all times like other dash cam manufacturers. That will take at least 32GB if not more.

Tesla2018 | 2019年3月9日

Last night when driving home a car rolled on the other side of the road from me after it got cut off. I pressed the button on the dashcam to save it but I think I pressed it for too long. It looked like it was stopped and then I pressed it against to record.again on the way home after I had stopped. When I went to look at the recording it only had the last 10 minutes and it didn't have any save files. Should I have just pressed the button for a little bit until the save icon came on?

The Tesla site says it can save files for up to the last hour. Since. I stopped the car for about an hour after the accident and then drove home 20 minutes later, it has been less than an hour of driving time since the accident.

The files I have only show the last 10 minutes is there any way to get the last hour back?. In the event of an accident where I was involved would Tesla be able to pull the footage if I requested it ? Would it take up too much computer space for them to keep track of every single car and all the video footage on it?Or does it know to keep footage on a Tesla server if airbags or other warning signals go off.

holgerv | 2019年3月9日

A simple tap on the camera icon will save the last ten minutes up to that moment.
A longer press/hold on the icon will turn the camera off.

roaddevil | 2019年3月9日

I have been using SanDisk Cruzer 128GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ36-128G-B35) since last October with no problem at all, it is pre-formatted to FAT32, I did not partition to two drives as others suggested. I do not delete files until it is almost full so that space is evenly written before starting next cycle to prolong disk life. I plan to to have a deep format after another cycle. I also have second disk ready in case the first one fails.

roel | 2019年6月13日

I've been using a flashdisc from the beginning of the dashcam function, starting with an old flashdisc I had. It functioned fine for some time, until it crashed. So I bought a new Scandisc 32GB USB2.0. This one crashed after some months of using. It turned to only-read and was not formattable anymore. Even my IT guy couldn't get it to work.
So I bought again a new one. Now a Kingston 32GB and USB3.0.
It's working until now, but, just as the Scandisc and my old flashdisc, it announces a mistake each time I plug it in any PC. After confirming repair disc, it announces that no error was found and continues functioning normal.
I announced this at the Tesla service during a planned service and after checking they couldn't find anything.
Three weeks ago I had a big problem with my Tesla at a Supercharger station. My car was blocked and they had to tow me, because I was not able to turn the car into D or R. I'm not going to write about the problem here, but after my car had been at the Tesla service, they told me better not to use my flashdisc anymore, as this could be a cause of my problem.
Yesterday I was again at the Tesla service and they checked my car and the flashdisc again. They didn't find anything a told me to use the flashdisc as usual.
Has anybody had similar problems?