Forums

First X road trip- range questions

First X road trip- range questions

I’ve consulted ev trip planner and it looks like my plans should work but..... heading from Michigan to North Carolina. The Superchargers are around 135 miles apart in 2 locations. Ambient temp is around 35 degrees with 8 mph headwind and at most 1000 foot elevation change(net). The trip planner estimates 50-55 kwh per leg of trip. My big question is how many miles of range will be lost to battery heating since the vehicle will be parked outside at night. I have an X100D and plan to charge to 90% which gets me ~252 miles of range.

mbirnie51 | 2018年12月9日

I'm in a MX 75D, so I have little I can offer you for this trip...except if possible, stay overnight at a "destination" hotel that provides the Tesla approved level 2 chargers. This allows you to awake to a full battery and eliminates the drain for battery heating. Schedule the charge you need to reach the next Supercharger (say 70%) from the hotel to start in such a way that when you are ready to get on the road, the overnight charging has just completed. You can also open the Tesla app on your phone to increase the charging limit when you awake to a higher level (increase to 80%) AND start to warm the interior of your MX. I use this method on round trips from Bay to Seattle in winter months and always charge to a level that gets me to the next SC with 20% reserve. You can trust the NAV system to guide you in the mileage numbers and buffer reserves. Keep your wh/mile to under 400 and your larger battery size will be adequate for any trip.

Redmiata98 | 2018年12月9日

The Nav app works well with predicting when you need to stop and how long you need to charge to get to your next supercharger. It will even warn you to slow down if you have been a bit ludicrous! The system works reliably now, especially compared to the beta and paucity of superchargers only two years ago.
There is a caveat with the aforementioned, use common sense. You may have to reduce your cabin heating in favor of heated seats if you encounter unusually strong weather conditions. You might also have to manually shutdown the car if you are at a standstill while waiting three hours for the interstate workers to clear a BIG accident or spill (US80East in Ohio this summer). The shutdown also applied to ICEs.

patswin | 2018年12月9日

Like already mentioned, if stopping at a hotel look for one with a destination charger. This will allow you to skip a SC as well maybe 2. If that doesn’t work out then try and set it up that you stop at a SC just before staying at a hotel. This way it won’t matter if your battery is cold when you leave in the morning.

Use plug share app to help find hotels with destination chargers. See check in comments to make sure chargers are adequate. I stopped at a Hilton recently and found their destination charger was nothing more than a wall outlet with an expensive hpwc connected to it.

Vawlkus | 2018年12月10日

Budget around 10 kWh for overnight and you should be fine. Pretty sure you won’t see that much loss, but it gives you a number to play with. :P

alanduxbury | 2018年12月10日

In April we did a seven week, 9400 mile, 24 State road trip. As you have done, I sweated the details for hours and days before we left. 4 days in I was trusting the Nav system to tell me where and when to charge, and after the first week I was totally relaxed about it. Mine is also an X 100D, and I had read somewhere that on a road-trip, charging to 100% is no problem to the battery or the car in any way, and in fact, Elon just said that a 5% to 95% charge is just fine on a daily basis. Relax and enjoy the trip!

Oh, and remember that Inns and B&Bs also have destination chargers, check out SelectRegistry.com for the best of them!

GranpaJohn | 2018年12月10日

In July of this past summer we did a 7500 mile trip from Ohio to several Montana locations and back. We used the recommended superchargers and even used a 120 volt outlet at one motel for a few extra miles (about 40). No problem ever on the entire trip. I expect the MX100D I just picked up saturday should make it much more pleasant next time. In winter I figure 20 percent more juice for cold weather needs like heating the cabin and batteries. I also charged to 100% when convenient.

GranpaJohn | 2018年12月10日
markcohen | 2018年12月11日

The only thing that I'd add to this discussion is that it is perfectly OK to charge to 100% on occasion and especially when you are going to begin a long trip shortly after 100% is reached. With this in mind when at home or at a hotel with a charger, I generally set the charge limit to 90% over night and about an hour prior to leaving I change the limit to 100% and allow it to charge while I am getting ready.

jjgunn | 2018年12月12日

Some good advice here.

I found the Nav to be very accurate on destination battery % remaining. If you're being extra efficient during your drive, the nav adjusts the % up or down if inefficient.

Abetterrouteplanner & evtripplanner work well too.

You have a 100 kW battery. Follow the nav. 135 miles apart? Pffffttt....no problem. Elevation is minimal so not worried about that. Even considering 20% lost range w/heat in cabin & heating battery while charging to only 80% still gives you 20%-25% battery left when you arrive at the next SuCh'r. That's why you paid the extra cash for the 100D baby. >;-}

jbdvm1988 | 2018年12月14日

Thanks for the advice/support. We made it down with ease. The nav was almost perfect predicting energy usage. I tried the EVTO app and it was very accurate. The overnight temperature stayed over 40 degrees so the battery wasn’t too cold.

CMcCright | 2018年12月14日

yea the 100D Model X is fantastic at sticking to what is predicted. just got a LR model 3.... love it but absolutely a different animal. we also charge to 100% on any road trips. ill drive to the Bay Area and back for my beloved Ducks bowl game in a few short weeks and we will take the X to maintain the stability of travel charge.

Teslaer | 2018年12月16日

I’ve found the range estimator is pretty dead on when using Tesla nav (the percent battery remaining after reaching a destination). The total range estimate is horribly inaccurate though, ie if it says you got 200 miles left you should plan for about 25% less than that. Especially if you drive the normal speed on the freeway (75mph).

Ps If you’re doing uphill driving, plan to account for a huuuuge loss in battery. I’ve seen it show >999 kWh when doing uphill. With that said, when going all downhill I’ve seen -150 kWh/mi.

hokiegir1 | 2018年12月18日

Good to know that the nav is a decent estimator in the X. We're in a loaner P100D for a few weeks at least, and have a trip planned during that time. With our 3, we know how to adjust at this point, and were fine planning with that, having done a number of trips over our first 20k miles in the car. I'm a bit anxious about the X, since we just got it yesterday and leave soon -- so not a lot of time to get a feel for accuracy of projections. It's not as much range anxiety (I know there's plenty there) as "how much buffer do we need to add" anxiety. :)

markcohen | 2018年12月18日

@hokiegir1, the accuracy of the estimator will be a function of how you drive. I've found that it estimate of what I'll have left at a destination (final or supercharger) is typically conservative by a bit and I'll generally arrive with more range than it estimated. If you are not already aware of it, there is a good way to track it while you drive. Use the energy app and select the "trip" tab/mode and you will see the predicted state of charge on your way to the next stop. This will update as you drive so you can get a good feeling for whether you are going to beat or fall short of the estimate and by how much. This should go a long way towards dispelling range anxiety.

hokiegir1 | 2018年12月18日

Thanks, @markcohen -- yes, I'm familiar with the trip estimate (we have it on the 3, too, though it's pretty new there), and we were checking it out last night on a long-ish trip (about 150 miles round trip, with one stop for dinner at the halfway). Coming home, it started at about 11% arrival, and dropped to 9%, but then stayed steady there despite hubby's.....spirited....driving. It looks like, aside from slightly slower mph charging speeds (25 on our 40A wall charger instead of 39 in the 3, 350-ish at the supercharger instead of 485-ish), we should be more or less similar on our plans. It looks like I was averaging about 389 wh/m, he was doing about 430 wh/m. We may ease up on that when we aren't fascinated with the "P" part--or at least,on long stretches when we turn on EAP. ;)

jjgunn | 2018年12月18日

Teslaer | December 16, 2018
when going all downhill I’ve seen -150 kWh/mi.
-----------
Negative 150 Wh/mi?!?!? Never heard that one before.

Going down the hill from Tahoe back to Sacramento I got +25 Wh/mi

markcohen | 2018年12月18日

@hokiegir1 sounds like you have a strong argument for doing most to the driving ;-). We've had our X for a year now. We also have a 3, but it is only a month old and we have't taken it on a road trip yet.