Forums

Why you need to hold the wheel with EAP

Why you need to hold the wheel with EAP

I took delivery of a new Model S last weekend and was finally able to use EAP yesterday after the car finished calibrating. My previous Model S had AP1. I used Autosteer on the interstate, and it worked well, except at one point when the car inexplicably issued a “Take Over Immediately” alert while I was in the middle of an auto lane change. I’m not sure what the problem was, since the lanes were well marked and there were no other vehicles nearby.

I never had that alert when using AP1, and I haven’t driven the new car much so I don’t know if it will happen again. What I do know is if I hadn’t been holding the wheel, something bad could have happened. I know some of you don’t like having to hold the wheel, but this is an example of why you still need to.

Darthamerica | 2018年12月12日

Agreed. It's currently nowhere near ready for people to have people let go. I salute Tesla for pushing the envelope but this is truly a hard problem to solve. All it takes is a second and you could be in deep trouble of you're not ready to take over.

I've got AP1 and it's pretty reliable but I do get the occasional phantom braking and cars in the 10 or 2 o'clock position aren't always reacted to properly.