Forums

Car off

Car off

My car suddenly shut off while driving on the highway yesterday evening (12/15/18). Car continued to run but lights were off and signal was not working. Very scary. I took the exist and all of a sudden everything came back on. Anyone know why this is happening???

jimglas | 2018年12月17日

software glitch, reboot the car.

sidney.kahn | 2018年12月17日

I had a simliar problem, and still haven't had it resolved by Tesla. Their service support is completely useless. I've tried several times to post the description below of my experience to date as a new forum thread, but I still haven't seen it.

Posted on Monday, 10 December:

I wish I could say something positive here, but sadly my recent experience with Tesla support has been anything but supportive.

I sent the following message to Tesla Customer support at 10:30pm EST on FRIDAY, 7 Dec (today is Monday) regarding my 5-month old model X.

"At approximately 18:30h EST this evening, I had driven about 10 miles from my home, with approximately 150 miles of charge remaining. I had noticed fluctuating audio for a couple of minutes, and when I stopped for a red light the car went completely dead - no display, no lights (dash, interior, or exterior), and no response to every attempted input. After a short while. I pressed the key fob and the car restarted, but with no screen display, audio, speedometer, or even turn signals. I was able to drive about 2 miles to my destination, where I tried to log in to my Tesla account, receiving error messages for invalid login and server error on several attempts. I called the emergency assistance number twice, about an hour apart, and each time was on apparently indefiinite hold. About two hours after the breakdown, I was able to log in to my Tesla account and access the car, which appeared normal. It then started normally, with all displays and functions nominal, and I returned home uneventfully.
Please could you explain what happened, and what measures, if any, I can take should it recur, since your roadside assistance essentially isn't."

I followed the rebooting suggestions on the web after getting home and have had no issue for the past week.

I tried to reach phone support again the following morning, and again was on indefinite hold. I gave up and called my local dealership, which I could reach only by choosing the sales department, since selecting "service" put me back in the hold queue. The sales agent was apologetic and told me he'd escalate my complaint to service - to confirm, I immediately emailed him the message I copied above. As of midday today, Monday, over 60 hours since the breakdown, I had heard nothing more by phone or email, and was able to reach a sales manager at the same dealer who again undertook to have my concerns addressed, both about the now-questionable reliabiltiy of the car and even more the complete lack of support access in an essential situation. I am now waiting for a call back and will post again when (or if) I receive a response.

Update: Fri, 14 December
I did not receive the promised call-back, so called again the following day, Tuesday, reaching another service rep who found the problem record in the database and told me I'd have to bring the car in. We set up an appointment for today, 14 Dec, at 2pm. When I arrived, there were a number of Tesla personnel milling around but only one at service reception, for whom I had to wait almost 10 minutes. Although she was very pleasant and helpful (a) the service technicians had not reviewed the event log, as promised on Tuesday when I booked the service, and would not be able to do so until after the weekend and (b) because they had no available Tesla loaner, they would provide me an Enterprise rental (ICE, of course). Since nothing was going to be done over the weekend, I opted not to leave my car, as it appears to be OK (although the scroll wheels have stopped working). However, the next available service opening is only on 26 Dec, nearly 2 weeks away, so hopefully I won't have any further issues before then.

To be continued....

Redmiata98 | 2018年12月18日

Sid, don’t hijack the thread. You’ve already posted your concerns elsewhere, let others comment on this thread. Thanks!

jjgunn | 2018年12月18日

Lights off.....we're your headlights off? Or do you mean internal lights. Screen, etc.

I performed a reboot while driving - lost internal lights, screen everything but car was still drive-able & headlights are on. That's how it's supposed to work.