Forums

What year model S have transferrable free supercharging?

What year model S have transferrable free supercharging?

Can't seem to find answer and sales guys were.... meh... not so sure. If I were to buy a used model S from a private party, anyone know what years have transferrable free supercharger access? I believe all the CPO from Tesla do. But it's unclear about private sales... was told "maybe around 2015-2016" was cutoff.

Thanks

Bill_75D | 2018年12月28日

My December 2016 has transferrable supercharging for life.
I think the cutoff is somewhere in mid 2017.

Bighorn | 2018年12月29日

Around 1/15/17 ordering cutoff with varying delivery. Moving target at the time.

cb500r | 2018年12月29日

I can tell that in mid of 2017, it already was tied to the first owner.
I think Bighorn is right.

SO | 2018年12月29日

Ordered by 1/15/2017 and received by March 2017 was the cutoff for transferable free supercharging.

I have one of the last MS’s that qualify for the transferable free supercharging as well as AP2 HW. Ordered mine in November 2016 but I pushed out the build until January 2017. AP2 came out on October, 2016.

There is only about a 6 month build window where you can get a used MS with AP2 AND free transferable supercharging. If you can get one of those, I think that is the best scenario.

stevenmaifert | 2018年12月29日

If you are asking about transferable free unlimited Supercharging for the life of the car, here is the answer: https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-supercharging-program

"For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car. All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging." Note: The referral program has modified the foregoing numerous times since this blog post, but in most cases the limited free Supercharging goes with the owner and not the car.

$$$$ "These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017, as long as delivery is taken before April 1, 2017." Note: As you can see, the cutoff was not specific to a model year, but is based on ordering and delivery dates. Basically all model year 2016 and earlier, and some 2017s that were ordered prior to 1/1/17 but built after that date. If you are considering a third party purchase of a used Model S, ask the seller to check their My Tesla account for this statement: "You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle ... If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner."

p.c.mcavoy | 2018年12月29日

@stevenmaifert - The text you provided was the initial plan, but there was such an on-slaught of last minute orders before end of the year that the website couldn’t handle it and the cut-off date was actually extended to mid-Jan 2017 as Bighorn correctly summarized in his earlier post.

As to the build window with AP2 hardware and unlimited supercharging, it’s hard to define that precisely on the back end as you’ll have a mix of Q1’2017 builds, some ordered prior to mid-Jan and others ordered after that cutoff which ended up likely getting produced in similar windows. The safest bet buying from a private party is look for a 2016 MS with AP2. While that will cut out a few vehicles, unless you can get a snapshot form the prior owners online account it can be difficult to confirm it it really has unlimited supercharging, especially if you’re buying it from a used car dealer and not a private individual.

stevenmaifert | 2018年12月29日

@p.c.mcavoy - Thanks. This 1/12/17 blog post implies that without actually saying extended and apparently open ended delivery too: https://www.tesla.com/blog/building-supercharger-network-future The free Supercharging has been such a moving target it's hard to keep up with all the changes, let alone try to answer a question for a specific time in history.

S75RedRidingHood | 2018年12月31日

If the seller is still having access to the car account, ask them to show you the account web page and you should see this:
"If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging."

EVRider | 2019年1月1日

Note that Tesla discontinued the annual 400kWh supercharger credit for cars ordered after Nov 1 (or maybe Nov 2) 2018.

msloan88 | 2019年4月14日

Anyone selling an AP2 with free supercharging?