Forums

Will the new plug-in wall charger work with NEMA 6-50?

Will the new plug-in wall charger work with NEMA 6-50?

I have an old BLINK J1772 charger install from 2011 that uses a NEMA 6-50 plug. It's fine most days for my M3 except it's been firmware limited to 24 amps (issues with the LEAF) so I occasionally use the charger that came with the M3 (using a 6-50 adapter) when I need a full charge before a long trip. Now that a plug-in Tesla charger is available, I'm thinking about upgrading. Does anyone know if it will work with a NEMA 6-50 if I use some sort of adapter to modify the outlet? Basically I'm asking if the new wall charger uses the line voltage.

tucsonsims | 2019年1月17日

Yes, as long as you have the 2nd generation mobile adapter, then you can purchase the 6-50 plug for it. That is what I use at home..
Charge current for the 6-50 plug is limited to 32Amps. Same as the 14-50..

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-nema-adap...

EVRider | 2019年1月17日

@tucsonsims: The OP was asking about the new wall connector that plugs into a NEMA 15-50 outlet. (I don't know the answer.)

M3BlueGeorgia | 2019年1月17日

Best suggestion would be to change the outlet, but then use a 14-50 to 6-50 adapter for your Blink J1772 charger as long as you need it.

jvcesare | 2019年1月17日

@donharvy2323 I actually found a better adapter on Amazon (molded unit, no cable)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733L47DS?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-...

@M3BlueGerogia outlet only has wiring for 240 (no line voltage for 120) so I don't want to change the outlet. Just wondering if the wall charger works like the portable charger (120 not needed).

donharvey2323 | 2019年1月17日

The cheapest is to change the outlet.

Coastal Cruiser. | 2019年1月17日

jvcesare said: "...Just wondering if the wall charger works like the portable charger (120 not needed)."

It's a pretty sure bet it does, as it is highly likely it is the exact same unit simply fitted with a plug. That needs to be verified though when someone takes delivery of one.

---------
Folks, normally the adapters from AC Works linked above need to come with a warning, because their adapters are not true Tesla adapter in that they don't have the circuit board that notifies the car what the outlet rating is. The owner has to manually dial back the charge rate at the touch screen or risk a blown fuse or worse.

In this case it appears this AC Works adapter will work because it is a 50A outlet with a 50A adapter plugging into a Tesla 50A adapter connected to the cord. So the lack of signaling from the AC works adapter is unnecessary.

But as a general rule, if you are trying to adapt a lower rated outlet, like say a 30A dryer outlet, to the Tesla 14-50 adapter you are better off looking for a solution at evseadapters.com. They have adapters with the correct signaling circuit built in (on pre-Model 3 cars it was a resistor, but on Model 3 it is an actual circuit board... built into each adapter to identify to the car what rate to charge at. The last time I talked to the owner of evseadapters he was working on a set of Model 3 adapters with the required circuit board. Not sure if those are online yet.

Coastal Cruiser. | 2019年1月17日

jvcesare, I realize you said you don't want to change out the outlet, and for good reason. But in case you didn't know, they make a 6-50 outlet designed to handle frequent plugging and plugging, which it sounds like you will be doing. (?)

Unless you know you have a 'commercial grade', or at least an 'industrial grade' receptacle, you might want to consider swapping in one like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-50-Amp-250-Volt-6-50-Industrial-Power-...

jvcesare | 2019年1月18日

@Coastal Cruiser Good point about adapters and using lower rated outlets. As far as my outlet is concerned, it is industrial grade. In 2011 I was part of the Dept of Energy's program to build out EV charging infrastructure. In exchange for for providing data about charging habits and usage data (the EVSE is connected to the internet) I got everything installed free of charge (EVSE, wiring, separate electric meter). At that time, they were using the NEMA 6-50 standard. I guess they though it was a less expensive install since there is less wire involved and the 120 line is not used.

coselectric | 2019年1月18日

The manual for the new plug-in wall connector describes the voltage and wiring requirements as "208V or 240V AC single-phase: L1, L2, and earth", so it does not appear to require a neutral. So a conversion adapter such as the first link listed by donharvey2323 above should work.

I would caution against changing the outlet from NEMA 6-50 to NEMA 14-50 unless a neutral is present. Wiring a NEMA 14-50 without a neutral is probably a code violation just about everywhere, and at a minimum could cause confusion (and possibly equipment damage) if you ever plug something into the outlet in the future that requires a neutral. If you were to do it, AT THE VERY LEAST label it clearly on the outlet (such as "TESLA WALL CONNECTOR ONLY - NO NEUTRAL PRESENT") and be prepared to swap it back to a NEMA 6-50 if you ever need an inspection and/or sell the house.

julian | 2020年1月22日

@ jvcesare, yes it will work just fine, I had the same setup like you for my 2011 leaf (Blink charger), just get that adapter or the one that @donharvey2323 listed. If you want to take advantage of the 10KW speed charging with that new GEN tesla wall charger, replace the breaker with 50AMP and if you wire is no. 8 replace them with no. 6, otherwise you good to go just with the adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/HENGYI-6-50P-14-50R-Charging-Adapter/dp/B07W5CKXY...

in7 | 2020年1月22日

I agree with that last paragraph from Coastal Cruiser about adapting from a 30A dryer outlet. I just ordered from EVSEadapters. Call them on the phone. I ordered an extension cord to use with the NEMA 10-30 adapter I ordered from Tesla's website.